Gilles Duceppe wants Quebec to have its own team

For real I have to work with them every day they don't even know why they wanna separate. I mean Canada is one of the best countries to live in the world theres no war etc but every country has its own political issues and these ppl are taking it for granted.

Makes me sick one thing is for sure if quebec does separate half the population will move there will be notjing left in quebec except for some haitians and quebecors. All the businesses will leave as well so it's no surprise to me they will ask for their own team since they think now they have better chances of separating idiots!

quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

For real I have to work with them every day they don't even know why they wanna separate. I mean Canada is one of the best countries to live in the world theres no war etc but every country has its own political issues and these ppl are taking it for granted.

Makes me sick one thing is for sure if quebec does separate half the population will move there will be notjing left in quebec except for some haitians and quebecors. All the businesses will leave as well so it's no surprise to me they will ask for their own team since they think now they have better chances of separating idiots!

''there will be notjing left in quebec except for some haitians and quebecors''

This is a truly racist comment from your part. I am not a separatist but I can't stand ignorant people that post comments like this as if all Quebecors or Haitian would like to separate.

By saying a comment like this you are directly targeting all the Quebec players that have been through the national ranks, Bernier, Occean, Leduc, Gervais, etc...

I have been myself on this program in the past and I have no intention of separating from Canada. Guess what? I am a Quebecor with Haitian origin just like Bernier and Occean.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I doubt that the likes of Grande, Gerba, Occean and Bernier would be interested in a separate team. I often find that sons of immigrants from Italy, Haiti and Cameroon are proud to be Canadian.

Absolutely. Did not the BQ blame the loss in 95 on 'money and the immigrants.'

I really like the bit about Mario Lemieux playing for Quebec. I'm surprised he even plays for Canada. The way he, Bourque, and some others have carried themselves over the years you'd swear they thought they were free born men of the USA -not that there's anything wrong with it. As a soccer supporter, I'll take a Will Johnson for Zach Parise any time.

Vincent Lecavalier has already basically told Duceppe to shove it.

globe/lecavalier

Funny Duceppe brings up soccer in Northern Ireland, but doesn't bring up the case of Irish rugby (still plays as a united entity) or Irish cricket (decided to play as a united entity AFTER the partition of Ireland in 1921). Or the Basque and Catalan sides in Spain who have unrecognized "national teams."

quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

I can sympathize with you and I agree with that. I have found from my personal experience as well that most of them do not know why they want to separate. I have always believe and will continue to believe that the sentiments at the root of the separtist movement is no different than what you see in other parts of north america where there will always be a segment of intollerance and xenophophia. Its really about being anti-english and/or anti-immigrant and wanting to fight the battle of the plains of Abraham in 1759 all over again. I do not deny that there was a time in our history when the Anglos saxon protestants took up far too much space and influence in Canadian society and perhaps were too exclsionary.

I'm told Toronto has a similar history. But that is no longer and hasn't been so for the past 30 approx.

The one difference is that in the rest of North america, these folks tend to be drawn towards the centre right or right of centre type of political movements whereas in Quebec the avenue for these types is the left.

Becoming a Separatist politician has become a half-decent way of getting into public office, and one should be clear that most of the Separatist talk comes from the very sorts of power elites that made up the Chateau Clique in early Canadian history. The Chateau Clique was to average Francophones what the Family Compact was to average Anglos, an elite and very powerful affiliation of individuals--cash rich and often tied to the church (in Quebec) or to the English monarchy (Ontario)--who like most powerful, power-hungry groups wanted to do their damnedest to remain powerful and rich, all at the expense of the hardworking average citizens in their region.

It is interesting to note that it was "grassroots" movements in Upper and Lower Canada, led by an Anglo in one, a Franco in the other, that brought about the conditions that made Canada a real possibility. In fact, seeing that their fellow citizens were suffering under the Chateau Clique and Family Compact, these two visionary leaders banded together to fight the oppressive elites collectively. Ango and Franophones working together? Ce ne pas possible! Actually, it is more the norm in our history than the exception. that is what makes us work as a country, despite the odds. We actually work well together, most of the time.

The Separatists are out of touch with history, out of touch with Quebec, and likely in it for the fabulous (Canadian) pension at the end of the rainbow.

As for soccer: Quebec will need to fully separate before they can be considered a country, and FIFA will not admit them until that is the case.

Give Duceppe credit on one front: At least he's talking about soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

I laughed so hard when Duceppe proposed this silly, dumb idea. Is this guy for real or is he f... dumb???

Yet, he will destroy all the other party leaders in a debate and is probably the best man to lead this country of the 4. Sadly, he's a separtist.

quote:Originally posted by River City

In a lot of countries, talk of separation would be regarded as treason and treated as a punishable offense. How do you think the US would handle it if California or Florida wanted to separate?

Well, if the us were to handle it that way, then we should too.

I guess the FLQ should come back and start terrorizing Canada like the Basque do. That'd be fine, right, because thats how others do it.

The reason why we live in such a great country is because even when we're at odds, we try to find a diplomatic way to resolve our issues. They've had two referendums and have lost (or won depending on what side you're on) both times.

The separtists are civilized people who want to be self governed. Unfotunately for them, they're a minority in the area they'dlike to govern.

In a lot of countries, talk of separation would be regarded as treason and treated as a punishable offense.

So why don't you move to one of those countries? In Canada, we value free speech. Sorry if that offends you.

quote:How do you think the US would handle it if California or Florida wanted to separate?

Don't know. Puerto Rico has a separatist party and they seem to be okay with that.

In a lot of countries, talk of separation would be regarded as treason and treated as a punishable offense. How do you think the US would handle it if California or Florida wanted to separate?

How would two basket cases be relevant.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Absolutely. Did not the BQ blame the loss in 95 on 'money and the immigrants.'

That was actually the PQ and their drunken and depressed Jacques Parizeau (who also Premier of Quebec at the time).

His exact words were "money and the ethnic vote". I still remember the stunned faces of some of the young people in the crowd when he uttered those words. Many were obviously shocked and confused that he would say such a thing.

db

Archived