WYC 2005 Holland Overall Results [R]

beachesl

Alberto might be right that our U-20's may have played an informal match or scrimmage with some US U-17 players while they were at Bradenton from about January 17 to 22. Alberto was the first to say that the camp (they also had one in the first week in January in Ft Laudersdale in south Florida) would be held there. This was confirmed by Yallop's interview on Inside Soccer Radio when he said that the U-20's would not be joining the Senior B's in Ft Lauderdale, but would have their own camp on Bradenton instead that week. Confirmation of their presense in Bradento came with a Soccer Central report from Bradenton later in the week. At no time, that I'm aware of, has there been any mention of a match or scrimmage with other players being held in Bradenton, either by rumour or media report.

Alberto may be right, remember at that time we were depending on him for most of our information as to what was happening to the Canadian U20's in January thru Italian news releases!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Alberto might be right that our U-20's may have played an informal match or scrimmage with some US U-17 players while they were at Bradenton from about January 17 to 22. Alberto was the first to say that the camp (they also had one in the first week in January in Ft Laudersdale in south Florida) would be held there. This was confirmed by Yallop's interview on Inside Soccer Radio when he said that the U-20's would not be joining the Senior B's in Ft Lauderdale, but would have their own camp on Bradenton instead that week. Confirmation of their presense in Bradento came with a Soccer Central report from Bradenton later in the week. At no time, that I'm aware of, has there been any mention of a match or scrimmage with other players being held in Bradenton, either by rumour or media report.

Alberto may be right, remember at that time we were depending on him for most of our information as to what was happening to the Canadian U20's in January thru Italian news releases!

Correct in fact that is where it was released as Julian's club was the source of the friendly match in commucation with Julian progress.

There was no mention of it in the CDN web site which I found strange or on this forum.

Thanks Beaches for your information I would have been disappointed if I was misleading to ED and Canso. and it was not the case

Much Adu about Nothing

To quote William Shakespeare, I don't think much of this Freddie Adu, and also don't think much of Demarcus Beasley, it's all USSF media hype. I think they were calling Beasley the next mesiah about 5 years back and I remember him getting schooled by Atiba Hutchison all day long. Freddie Adu will not turn into the next Pele as he's been labelled by the US press if he continues his development in the U.S. He can play for Washington or Chicago or La or whereever in the lower 48, but he'll have to go to Europe to become a real player. The loss of Adu to Europe and the sensationalism associated with his name will hurt the MLS in the long run. I wonder if there is any pressure on him to stay in the U.S.? Any thoughts?

Gardencity

quote:Originally posted by gardencity

Much Adu about Nothing

Freddie Adu will not turn into the next Pele as he's been labelled by the US press if he continues his development in the U.S. He can play for Washington or Chicago or La or whereever in the lower 48, but he'll have to go to Europe to become a real player. The loss of Adu to Europe and the sensationalism associated with his name will hurt the MLS in the long run. I wonder if there is any pressure on him to stay in the U.S.? Any thoughts?

Gardencity

Freddy is a Ghanian-american who consequently has no opportunity to go to Europe until he is 18 unless his whole family emigrates. Given the MSL contract, Nike etc.etc. why would the family choose to emmigrate since many a 16 year old sports prodigy do not fulfill their promise? Has he been hyped? of course he has. Maybe the kid will become a superstar, maybe he will not. He is only 16 and I would not be writing him off at this point, just as I would not have been hyping him as was done earlier.

Given that US soccer is really in its infancy, the rather tenuous position of MLS - its survival is still not a given - hype is a good marketing ploy. When and if Adu leaves for Europe, there will be another to replace him. Just as he replaced Donovan. Maybe the myth will become a reality, maybe not. There will be another myth though. There always is.

"I remember him getting schooled by Atiba Hutchison"

You remember him getting schooled, but the excellent right back doing the schooling was Tam Nsaliwa. The same player that Frank Yallop seems to have excluded from the MNT as long as he is manager. We can only hope that won't be very long.

quote:Originally posted by canso

You remember him getting schooled, but the excellent right back doing the schooling was Tam Nsaliwa. The same player that Frank Yallop seems to have excluded from the MNT as long as he is manager. We can only hope that won't be very long.

One would think an International with experience could school a 16 year old. When did Tam play against Adu anyway???

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Agreed that the USA have come along way since their World cup, however the concept is correct and your right it takes time all I am saying that the process is much quicker and more effective when they truly focus on 100% because they have nothing else to do making huge sacifices both with their family and school and friends they become a different mole of player.

Some schooling is important but once in colleges etc it tough to do both 100% and you actually tend to go backwards for a year or two from the sport at a critical time of choice.

Example your under 17 USA team I would rate them very high today then i would in 2 years from now under this criteria i mentione above. as this under 20 team was rated higher I think 2 years ago.

Another example the USA under 17 should beat the under 20 Canadian team right now (less pressures and more fun playing it.)

agree or disagree

the fact is the U17 have more time together as they live together for almost 9 months of the year. At the U20 the team suffers from a lack of playing together as they cannot get players released, school and other factors.

I stand correct, that's right it was Tam, good on ya.

I stand correct, that's right it was Tam, good on ya.

Guest Jeffery S.

I probably posted this years ago, but I recall former Barça coach Reixac say that he thought that Haruna Babandiga was better than Adu at the age of 14. Everyone will say "who?". Well his brother played for Ajax. Last I heard he was playing in 2nd division Spain.

Leo Messi, who is just a bit older, is a much stronger player with a brighter future. And it helps that he'll train regularly with the Barça first team next season. And that he has been at Barça youth building slowly instead of playing beside the wonders of MLS as a supposed star.

quote:Originally posted by ANC2

One would think an International with experience could school a 16 year old. When did Tam play against Adu anyway???

The "him" being refered to here was actually damarcus beasley. Rivercity's post was about Adu, but then went on a bit about beasley this statement was made in the context of beasley rather than adu. Subsequent cutting obscured that a bit.

Jury is still out on Adu as far as I'm concearned. Winning a penalty because he trips over his own feet? Well, whatever.

Domesticaly it seems like he's being nursed along tenderly, not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, it's probably the right approach. Because you've got to admit, he's shown some real talent now and again. You just hope the MLS security blanket dosen't get a bit too comfortable.

Hmm. Donovan's latest stay in Europe lasted how long?

Oh. Beasley. Actually begining to like that greyhound. Think his future may be bright. And deservidely so. We'll see. But yeah, ol Tam gave the much hyped deMarcus a big fat helping of humble pie there a couple of years ago. Great stuff. Wonder if it would happen again?

Morocco wins on PKs. Their keeper sure loved to cheat on penalties though. Not so much in the shootout, but on the penalty that was awarded at the end of the 1st, and then re-taken because he cheated the first time, he was well off his line both times. I would have loved to see it taken a third time, or the keeper carded for that.

Still, I guess our 2-0 friendly loss to Morocco wasn't so bad after all.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Final results today (both Extra Time):

WYC 2005 (Under 20) - Play-Off

23:09 June 24

Pen. Morocco * 2 - 2 Italy

AET Germany 1 - 2 Brazil

Hey G.L You kind of wonder did the Italiens pick up the Dutch desease.

I was really looking forward to It-hol and than gloat.It's my turn.

To bad.It just shows again it is just a game with this luck factor oh so large.In fact no one ever speaks of the luck factor.

Without being too Dutch I foresee a Dutch display of soccer that the world has learned to admire so much.It is kind of cool to be Dutch and a big big soccer fan as well.Boy it would be so great for soccer if the Dutch win and also qualfy for Canada.Orange all the way and a tremendous change in attitude towards soccer by the media.

Canada will never be the same.Dreaming again.Sorry G.L.

interesting to see Morroco going so far....I remember when we lost to them in the warm up matches somebody on this site saying he saw them play in another tournament....and they were crap.

Also interesting to see Columbia go out to Argentina...it seems from the reports that Argentina pressured them all match....exactly what we didn't do, and what I said I thought was possible in further rounds.

Archived