WYC 2005 Holland Overall Results [R]

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Intersting comment however I think that even considering a tie against Columbia is far fetched, They will win the question is by how many goals will be score against the CDN team, I predicted 2-1 result for Canada and the worst case is a 1-1 draw with Syria and they are weak. They needed to win that game.

Canada has never if any scored more than 2 goals in a match game of this caliber and with easier opponents. I just dont see them even close with Italy as we should be able to score at least 2 goals in that game.

So in conculsion a 5 - 1 score and if they are lucky the may score a second goal but thats where it will stop. A plus minus of -4 or -3

and that may hurt there chances against Italy as the Italians will play for the tie to advance as DJT PPOINTED OUT in upper post But i think the result would be 2- 1 result for a win Italy. Columbia will not wait to qualfy to play Sryia they will use there bench to rest their main players against Syria and possibly even lose or Draw to finsh first with 6 points or 7.

Wow, Alberto. I've never heard a European more in awe of a South American side. Are you feeling okay? Don't worry, those stogies you like come from Cuba, not Colombia. You don't need to suck up to those girls.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

So Chile & Morrocco are tied on three points & play each other, but Morrocco now was the better goal differential (plus two I believe)and can automatically advance with a tie. With a win over Chile the latter would be left with 3 points and a negative goal differential.

I still can't believe a team can go from winning 7-0 one game to losing by the exact same score the next!

To all wondering about that Spain score, well Chile just gave up. Must say that second card to their player was bs, the guy thought the whistle had been blown against him on a play and he picked up the ball. I think the ref could have been more lenient. I hate kid's reffing because these guys are supposed to be kids.

Spain did however play much better this time, one of the few teams really exploiting the wings, with a tall strong rather unspectacular striker in Llorente, who played for At. Bilbao this year especially last half of the season.

Just want to agree with DJT on one thing: always want the States to lose, I would prefer to be the only team qualifying out of the region and the one with the best results.

quote:Originally posted by Kye

First of all Id like to say Hi to all the posters here as this is my first post. I have however followed this site for a while and finaly decided to join.

With regards to Canada at the U20, I beleive a win in any of the next 2 games will get us through and I personaly beleive that we can and will beat Columbia tomorrow.

Cheers!

Welcome KYE to the greatest forum on Canadian soccer where you can freely express your opinion. I share your optimism that we will prevail against Colombia (not Columbia).

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

To all wondering about that Spain score, well Chile just gave up. Must say that second card to their player was bs, the guy thought the whistle had been blown against him on a play and he picked up the ball. I think the ref could have been more lenient. I hate kid's reffing because these guys are supposed to be kids.

Spain did however play much better this time, one of the few teams really exploiting the wings, with a tall strong rather unspectacular striker in Llorente, who played for At. Bilbao this year especially last half of the season.

Just want to agree with DJT on one thing: always want the States to lose, I would prefer to be the only team qualifying out of the region and the one with the best results.

What a stunner result! But according a Chilean website their coach Sulantay said they dominated the play and that playing with 10 didn't help. I wonder if he was looking at Spain instead. I think I went to school with this guy Sulantay.

Damn. Alberto you're not very optimistic are you? I'm praying and hoping that we can beat Colombia. There is no doubt the Colombian's have an outstanding attack, but there defence is shaky at times. I think we'll get one on them, if we score first...it's smooth sailing from there.

GO CANADA

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think he's still a little miffed that DM cut Uccello ;).

Of course I am. There is no question about that, I think (DM) has made a terrible mistake of not having him on the team. I have in the past express only true facts and stats to particapate in this forum with lots of back up of resourses.

I have never mislead anyone looking at it from 4000 klm from your land and good commication with the Julian and his club.

Sorry, if I give you impression that I am not optmistic of Canada chances, but just stating a circle of possiliblities and results based on facts and Stats and this case is the way I see it and not because Julian is there or not.

The reports that are coming out of here in Italy suggest that Canada was at par with Syria in there first match played very poor futbol skills and formation from both sides and if your team relies on the younger players for the next 2007 and this beeing a learning experience for 4 or 5 players at this point and one that is injured and the best player, how can you think of winning this year or even think you can move forward against a more experienced team like Columbia and Italy they will eat you up.

So Daniel and footfantic01 please do not take it personal I hope that Canada beats Columbia it will make it a better game for me to see the following game, but looking at it from tifosi point of view I doubt it.

One with the best results, certainly, but if everyone in the region embarasses themselves with constant shellackings at the hands of teams from other regions, there is always the possibility that this region could lose a spot in the next tourney (whether it be the U20, World Cup, or whatever). Sure, we are okay for 2007 since we've already qualified, and we usually finish first in our qualifying group for this tourney, but that doesn't mean I want fewer spots for our region overall.

Results so far today (Wednesday):

WYC 2005 (Under 20) - Group A

22:26 June 15

FT Japan 1 - 1 Benin

FT Australia 0 - 3 Holland

WYC 2005 (Under 20) - Group E

FT Canada 0 - 2 Colombia

FT Italy 1 - 2 Syria

WYC 2005 (Under 20) - Group F

FT Switzerland 0 - 1 Brazil

FT Nigeria 1 - 2 Korea Republic

Ooh, Korea came back to score two in last few minutes and win!

Could the mods delete the last post from Robert? Thanks.

I have to wonder how Italy even qualified for this tourney out of Europe if they can't even draw, let alone beat Syria. I know its a tournament they don't bring their best players to, but still.....

Well we are in third place still, but we'd need a big win now against Italy and Colombia to thrash Syria (which they could do) if we want to finish 2nd and guarantee a spot.

So, we have to beat Italy to advance at all.

For second place and automatic qualification, we'd have to gain 4 goals on Syria in the goal differential column (unless we go on a real goal-scoring spree against Italy, unlikely). For instance, if we beat Italy 1-0, Colombia would have to beat Syria by 3 goals.

For a third place qualification, it will depend on the results from the other groups on Friday and Saturday. We may, as GL has said, be in a position to know whether a bare win is good enough on Friday, but it will probably come down to the other two groups also on Saturday on goal differential. One of those Groups, D, are played at the same time as us, and Argentina needs a point from Germany to advance. The other Saturday Group, F, unfortunately play after us, so we may have to wait until after a victory over Italy to see.

Probably, only two will advance from Group A. There is a good possibility of nudge-nudge ties between Ukraine/Turkey and Chile/Morocco on Friday which should be enough to get all through in those Groups, but there is always a possibility for them that it may not enough be if there are unexpected large victories on Saturday. Group F is our best possibility to beat the third place team. It's all a crap shoot to qualify on third, so the scenario which allows us second is definitely better.

quote:Originally posted by Breakwood

If we beat Italy *knocks on wood* then we would have 4 points that should be enough to move on in 3rd place shouldnt it?

Probably (just over 50%, but not much more) , but there is a good possibility that all the other Groups could also have third place teams on 4 points, and so far we have the lowest goal differential of all third place teams going into the final group matches.

If we beat Italy by a goal, we will finish second if Colombia beats Syria by 3 goals or more, which would mean we play the winner of group F, more than likely Brazil. If we beat Italy and finish third, we would either play the winner of group A, which Holland has cliched, or the winner of group D, either the United States, Germany or Argentina.

Brazil, Holland, Argentina, Germany, or the United States. Personally, I think it will either be Holland or the United States. If that's true, I'd prefer the United States. Adieu, Freddy.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Could the mods delete the last post from Robert? Thanks.

I have to wonder how Italy even qualified for this tourney out of Europe if they can't even draw, let alone beat Syria. I know its a tournament they don't bring their best players to, but still.....

Well we are in third place still, but we'd need a big win now against Italy and Colombia to thrash Syria (which they could do) if we want to finish 2nd and guarantee a spot.

Italy also did much better against Columbia than we did.

I'm hoping we can beat them, hopefully it will be a good game.

I understand the animosity towards the US on political issues because we have the worst president in our country's history. I don't blame people for disliking the US due to our global policies. At times I feel like I will be forever apologizing for my country. One thing I don't understand is the animosity towards US soccer. Strong performances by the US and other concacaf teams benefits the whole region. Good results at the senior and youth levels give our confederation more respect and more slots for world championships. I root for all the concacaf teams for this reason. Football in this region has improved a tremendous ammount and I wish to see that trend continue.

Concacaf qualifying for youth championships needs to be fixed. I don't think it's fair to hold the qualifying tournament in one country. They should do it the same way it's done for the senior teams. Honduras is horrible and is an embarassment to our region.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

I understand the animosity towards the US on political issues because we have the worst president in our country's history. I don't blame people for disliking the US due to our global policies. At times I feel like I will be forever apologizing for my country. One thing I don't understand is the animosity towards US soccer. Strong performances by the US and other concacaf teams benefits the whole region. Good results at the senior and youth levels give our confederation more respect and more slots for world championships. I root for all the concacaf teams for this reason. Football in this region has improved a tremendous ammount and I wish to see that trend continue.

If it makes you feel better Crazy Yank, I, for one, agree with you. I hope the US, Panama and (urgh!) Honduras do well, .....until they meet Canada, of course.

I think you're reading too much into the "animosity" towards the USA here... You'd probably have to be Canadian to understand, but I tend to think it's a bit like a sybling rivalry. You can love your older/bigger brother but still love to kick his ass in a game. Culturally the Americans seem to "win" at everything... so when you get to see them taken down a peg or two, there's usually a little smile of satisfaction.

For Canadian soccer fans I think the hardest match to watch is Mexico-USA... 'cause it'd just be so nice if they BOTH lost~ ;)

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Concacaf qualifying for youth championships needs to be fixed. I don't think it's fair to hold the qualifying tournament in one country. They should do it the same way it's done for the senior teams. Honduras is horrible and is an embarassment to our region.

Honduras is an embarassment to themselves. I think CONCACAF is past the whole "we need them all to show well" stage. In terms of the region, I think that the only two nations that have not yet hit their full potential are the US and Canada. The US probably topping out by being a legit top 10 team and Canada, if we can ever get our act together - and there is along way to go for us to get there - being consistently the number 3 team in the region and consistently in the top 40 globally (but as I said, we are a long long way from getting there). I really can't see Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, Guatemala et. al. really doing consistently better than they are now. The have decent domestic structures, national leagues etc. but are limited by population and GDP. Soccer is unlikely to ever be any more than the 4th sport in the US which limits its ability to get to the Brazil-Germany-Italy level but France-England-Spain level is doable I think over the longer haul.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I view Costa Rica in slightly different fashion. When they have qualified, they have fared ( recently) quite a bit better than the likes of Panama and Honduras at the WYC. Overall ( youth aand senior), they are not quite in the same league as Mexico and the US but IMO they are starting to pull away from the rest of the pack in Concacaf. I think that the CSA needs to be mindfull of this and look to them as barometers. The good news is, catching up to CRC is more realistic than catching up to Mexico and the US.

Archived