WYC 2005 Holland Overall Results [R]

beachesl

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Vic Rauter]Make the final[/Vic Rauter] Colombia 2 Italy 0. Wason Renteria at 76 off a corner and Fredy Guarín scored at 90 on a long range blast.

Not sure what this means for us, probably nothing if we don't get the result this afternoon.

sstackho, great link. thanks

cheers,

matthew

ok... what's the rule going to be? I was going to include the Canada-Syria match result and then decided not too. I'm assuming that after the tape-delayed match has been played the results are fair game, no?

Anyone eager enough to follow the games on this site is going to know when the matches are tape-delayed and should just steer clear of the results, but we should be clear on when results can be posted.

Another embarassing loss by our CONCACAF counterparts, Honduras... 5-0 to Morocco, who lost their first game to Spain... so it looks like Honduras will most likely lose to Spain by a similiar score on the 17th. Benjelloun lit it up for Morocco, scoring three goals.

The tournament favourites, Argentina bounce back from that lose against the USA, with a 2-0 win over 'weakest team in the group', Egypt. Messi and Zabaleta scoring for Argentina.

And China are winners over Ukraine, 3-2, in quite an interesting match. Ukraine scored relatively early in the 19th minute for the 1-0 lead, about ten minutes later, China equalised to make it 1-1. In the 66th minute China took the lead with Chen scoring on a PK and then three minutes later, Zhu, who was the first goal scorer for China, was sent off, committing a foul in the box, where Aliiev converted the PK to tie the game. And in the 75th, Cui gave China the winner, making them 2-0 in the group and making Ukraine 1-1.

Guest Jeffery S.

Morocco proved that they are an okay side and Honduras really stinks, odd since vs. us at home they played quite well in fact, 5-0.

Messi started for Argentina, scored a goal on an easy tap in, they got another vs. Egypt, 2-0-

China went up on Ukraine, who came back to 2-2 with China down a man, but the Central Kingdom got a late winner short-handed. Pretty unpredictable group that is.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The amazing thing is that Honduras qualified ahead of Mexico. I know they had home field advantage in qualifying, but this is ridiculous.

I was just about to write that. Mexico would have definitely put up a better show and gave CONCACAF a little more respect in this competition. Even though Honduras is a rival of ours, you always want to see your counterparts from the same zone as you do well and get respectable results, even if it's the Yanks.

Results today (Tuesday):

WYC 2005 (Under 20) - Group B

23:38 June 14

FT China 3 - 2 Ukraine

FT Panama 0 - 1 Turkey

WYC 2005 (Under 20) - Group C

FT Morocco 5 - 0 Honduras

FT Chile 0 - 7 Spain

WYC 2005 (Under 20) - Group D

FT Egypt 0 - 2 Argentina

FT U.S.A. 0 - 0 Germany

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

I was just about to write that. Mexico would have definitely put up a better show and gave CONCACAF a little more respect in this competition. Even though Honduras is a rival of ours, you always want to see your counterparts from the same zone as you do well and get respectable results, even if it's the Yanks.

Yeah, despite the early success for the Yanks the continual embarrassing performance of Honduras is making the region look bad, as I'm sure other people will be asking how can they have possibly qualified out of this region if the region is any good.

I'd also be happier if they'd qualified out of the 'States group as well. Our coming out on top of a group that featured this Honduran team... and a Mexican team beaten by this Honduran team... well it's less impressive than it was that's for sure.

I have faith that we'll beat Colombia, take the "giant killer" title away from the USA, and restore some respect for the CONCACAF sides.

The results todays aren't as good as we would have hoped. There are now three groups whose 3rd place team will have at least 3 points, if not more. Let's hope that Syria proves to be a good opponents against the Italians. We need two ties or a win to go through as things right now, to have a chance to go through.

Basically we just need a win in the next two games. Even if we tie Colombia... I don't think it's much different than a lose. I can see Italy maybe tying or defeating Syria, which would give Italy 3 points... us still 1 point... Syria 1 and Colombia 6. Colombia will beat Syria to get all 9 pts... and it'll just come down to us versus Italy, which I thought it'd be from the beginning anyways. So it made me think, what was the difference if we beat or drew Syria (well the difference is that we wouldnt have the option of tying Italy, but only to win)... but I definitely think if we lose against Colombia... then a win against Italy will bring us through. Obviously I'm hoping for the best, just expecting the worst, just incase :).

What the hell is going on in Group B? Now Spain is leading Chile 6-0 late in the game. Is there some "blow-outs only" rule in that group?

Anyway, Chile is now at 3 points and just a plus 1 right now, after staring the day with a plus 7 goal differential.

[brif we beat or drew Syria (well the difference is that we wouldnt have the option of tying Italy, but only to win)... but I definitely think if we lose against Colombia... then a win against Italy will bring us through. Obviously I'm hoping for the best, just expecting the worst, just incase :).

Setting aside the result versus Syria for a second, I liked the fact that Italy was last on the schedule of group matches. Because I thought that if we were in a position going into that game whereby a draw would benefit both teams, I like the odds of that occuring. Historically, sides like Italy tend to play to advance rather than position. Especially the way second round opponents line up this year(ie.: look at who the group E opponents are in the next round).

There haven't been that many draws in the tournament so far, so I still see the posibility of advancing with three points. Suppose we draw Colombia and Italy beats Syria. Its still looks good for the final match versus Italy. We would need a draw to get to 3 points na Italy would be content with draw to go through with 4pts. Having three pts and a goal diff of 0 would very likely put you ahead of most teams except maybe that third place finisher in the Honduras group. But hey look at that score!!! 7-0 Spain over Chile..

First of all Id like to say Hi to all the posters here as this is my first post. I have however followed this site for a while and finaly decided to join.

With regards to Canada at the U20, I beleive a win in any of the next 2 games will get us through and I personaly beleive that we can and will beat Columbia tomorrow.

Cheers!

So Chile & Morrocco are tied on three points & play each other, but Morrocco now was the better goal differential (plus two I believe)and can automatically advance with a tie. With a win over Chile the latter would be left with 3 points and a negative goal differential.

I still can't believe a team can go from winning 7-0 one game to losing by the exact same score the next!

Even though Honduras is a rival of ours, you always want to see your counterparts from the same zone as you do well and get respectable results, even if it's the Yanks.

Hmm, not me. I always want the US to lose and really don't care about all the other teams (I guess it's because I just don't have any emotional like/dislike of the other teams or CONCACAF has a whole). I don't care about how the performance of CONCACAF opposition makes us look, I care only about how our performance makes us look.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Setting aside the result versus Syria for a second, I liked the fact that Italy was last on the schedule of group matches. Because I thought that if we were in a position going into that game whereby a draw would benefit both teams, I like the odds of that occuring. Historically, sides like Italy tend to play to advance rather than position. Especially the way second round opponents line up this year(ie.: look at who the group E opponents are in the next round).

On the other hand, Italy came into this tournament without having played together in about 1.5 months and having trained for only 1 week. I think that was Berrettini's concern over lack of preparation, regardless of the fact that they had many matches between the fall and April. By the time we play them they will have had 2 matches together in the last week and 2 weeks of training.

But of course when it comes to Italy, the other constant along with a defensive style is that they will do only what it takes to barely advance. So your point is well taken.

Basically we just need a win in the next two games. Even if we tie Colombia... I don't think it's much different than a lose. I can see Italy maybe tying or defeating Syria, which would give Italy 3 points... us still 1 point... Syria 1 and Colombia 6. Colombia will beat Syria to get all 9 pts... and it'll just come down to us versus Italy, which I thought it'd be from the beginning anyways. So it made me think, what was the difference if we beat or drew Syria (well the difference is that we wouldnt have the option of tying Italy, but only to win)... but I definitely think if we lose against Colombia... then a win against Italy will bring us through. Obviously I'm hoping for the best, just expecting the worst, just incase :).

Intersting comment however I think that even considering a tie against Columbia is far fetched, They will win the question is by how many goals will be score against the CDN team, I predicted 2-1 result for Canada and the worst case is a 1-1 draw with Syria and they are weak. They needed to win that game.

Canada has never if any scored more than 2 goals in a match game of this caliber and with easier opponents. I just dont see them even close with Italy as we should be able to score at least 2 goals in that game.

So in conculsion a 5 - 1 score and if they are lucky the may score a second goal but thats where it will stop. A plus minus of -4 or -3

and that may hurt there chances against Italy as the Italians will play for the tie to advance as DJT PPOINTED OUT in upper post But i think the result would be 2- 1 result for a win Italy. Columbia will not wait to qualfy to play Sryia they will use there bench to rest their main players against Syria and possibly even lose or Draw to finsh first with 6 points or 7.

Archived