WYC 2005 Holland Overall Results [R]

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Egyptian ref eh? I think our Ref for the Colombia match was Egyptian, likely the same guy then that stiffed us with believing the Colombian dive that led to them breaking the deadlock.

3-1 final for Italy over the US. Is Jarrek around to make any statements about the lack of character on the US squad? Only seems fair to me.

We lost against Colombia because of the referee???

Re the US GK catching the ball outside the 18 yd box, that is the AR call unless it was on the far side where it is the Ref call.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syria give Brazil a game but go down 1-0, PK late in the 1st half.

Morocco score way into injury time for 1-0 win over Japan.

Looks like Asia / Concacaf are shut out of quarters this year.

I'm going with an Italy / Colombia as I don't want to see the 3m diving team from the Netherlands involved.

We barely lost to brazil 1-0 :( damnit we struck the post once again in the final minutes of the game as well as a really dangerous chance that would have been a goal if it wasnt for the brazilian keeper..i thought we would be the first to score on brazil but i guess the post denied us once again...oh well great tournament for Syria and congrats to Italy who proved they deserve to be in the knockout stage.

To my surprise I figure US would have given a more difficult game but it seemed Italy has its nose in the finals now and they can smell it.

Also this Freddy Adu how old is this guy? This is the first time I have seen him. So much talk but did little.

He looks like 5 to 10 years older.

But it certainly look like the USA has stepped backwards in the sport. They seems very much in the same boat as Canada. Total different mentality... The difference showed not as bad a Canada but it showed.

I say you cannot teach education at the same time you play futbol this was a perfect example of kids that go to school and stay home close to their families or what ever. And Men that play futbol day in and day out that eat, breathe, ****, and sleep, for their club everyday in Italy or south American, European based clubs.

Final Columbia vs Italy would be nice but I still not confident as somehow Italy always manages to qualify and then the some how they screw it up in the end to lose it. Maybe this year is different.

However I know that the players that are missing 6 or 7 surely would have help the squad and a totally different outcome would have succeeded as Winners in the Under 20 group.

No question about it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It would be ironic if Italy went to the semi's and eliminated the host Dutch team again.....but I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to like their chances to get to the semi's though.

Way ahead of yourself.However a very good reason and motivator for my Dutch guys to wipe this horrible thing into the past and get even.

G.L I don't know it's a game and they have the Dutch support and I believe the better team,but it's a game and I suppose it is now all about strategies and real smart coaching.So It is up to the sidelines to figure this one out.If it gets to penalty kicks if the rules require well what are the odds.

Whatever happens it will be a real dandy.Italy-Holland I am already drooling.You want to get together and ....Anyway,good luck

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

To my surprise I figure US would have given a more difficult game but it seemed Italy has its nose in the finals now and they can smell it.

Also this Freddy Adu how old is this guy? This is the first time I have seen him. So much talk but did little.

He looks like 5 to 10 years older.

But it certainly look like the USA has stepped backwards in the sport. They seems very much in the same boat as Canada. Total different mentality... The difference showed not as bad a Canada but it showed.

I say you cannot teach education at the same time you play futbol this was a perfect example of kids that go to school and stay home close to their families or what ever. And Men that play futbol day in and day out that eat, breathe, ****, and sleep, for their club everyday in Italy or south American, European based clubs.

It was a deterioration after the half. If Barret hadn't missed the last shot before the half we would have been up 2-0 and it probably would have made a big difference. Two of the goals were own goals and their frustration about it showed. How this loss is a step backwards I'm not sure, maybe it was just not their day.

As for Freddy and his age, he came here when he was eight with no intentions of playing soccer. I'm sure he was the same size(maybe smaller I don't know) as the other eight year olds in his class and that there are calendars in ghana and that his mother can atleast count to ten.

And about the whole education and playing soccer deal, you don't seem to really grasp the concept of where the sport falls in this country and how far we've come in the last 15 years. It goes MLS, P-40, Bradenton, MLS Reserves, SSS, and eventually team academies. We've gotten to the reserves for the first time this year so the next step is a couple of years off. We just have to work with what we have and be happy with the fact that we have the finances and the facilities to do this in a shorter time than it would take a lot of other countries, but it won't happen over night.

quote:Originally posted by SamIAm

It was a deterioration after the half. If Barret hadn't missed the last shot before the half we would have been up 2-0 and it probably would have made a big difference. Two of the goals were own goals and their frustration about it showed. How this loss is a step backwards I'm not sure, maybe it was just not their day.

As for Freddy and his age, he came here when he was eight with no intentions of playing soccer. I'm sure he was the same size(maybe smaller I don't know) as the other eight year olds in his class and that there are calendars in ghana and that his mother can atleast count to ten.

And about the whole education and playing soccer deal, you don't seem to really grasp the concept of where the sport falls in this country and how far we've come in the last 15 years. It goes MLS, P-40, Bradenton, MLS Reserves, SSS, and eventually team academies. We've gotten to the reserves for the first time this year so the next step is a couple of years off. We just have to work with what we have and be happy with the fact that we have the finances and the facilities to do this in a shorter time than it would take a lot of other countries, but it won't happen over night.

Agreed that the USA have come along way since their World cup, however the concept is correct and your right it takes time all I am saying that the process is much quicker and more effective when they truly focus on 100% because they have nothing else to do making huge sacifices both with their family and school and friends they become a different mole of player.

Some schooling is important but once in colleges etc it tough to do both 100% and you actually tend to go backwards for a year or two from the sport at a critical time of choice.

Example your under 17 USA team I would rate them very high today then i would in 2 years from now under this criteria i mentione above. as this under 20 team was rated higher I think 2 years ago.

Another example the USA under 17 should beat the under 20 Canadian team right now (less pressures and more fun playing it.)

agree or disagree

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Example your under 17 USA team I would rate them very high today then i would in 2 years from now under this criteria i mentione above. as this under 20 team was rated higher I think 2 years ago.

Another example the USA under 17 should beat the under 20 Canadian team right now (less pressures and more fun playing it.)

agree or disagree

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument. The last time our U20s played a competitive game vs the USA, we beat them in the USA to come out on top of the qualifying group A for the LAST U20 WC.

We played them in exhibition (missing some European based players) prior to this U20 WC and they came from behind to edge us 2-1.

We are very competitive with them at the U20 level. Your suggestion that their U17s would beat us insulting and hardly based on any credible analysis.

"Your suggestion that their U17s would beat us is insulting and hardly based on any credible analysis."

That's the problem with the Eye Talians, when they win they get all obnoxious and when they lose they get all obnoxious.

Alberto makes a good point though that enjoying yourself is essential to playing well, but I gotta disagree that the Latin style player development is superior. For every buck toothed kid from the favela who makes it big, there are millions who don't and have nothing else to turn to. The Ajax model of combining schooling and soccer is more effective and responsible.

ED

Your suggestion that their U17s would beat us insulting and hardly based on any credible analysis.

Canso

"Your suggestion that their U17s would beat us is insulting and hardly based on any credible analysis."

Alberto

Well not quite they infact did play a exibition game in Florida and they lost 3 -1.

Just a few months ago, come on I would not say something or stoop that low and just make things up it. Based on results they would lose.

Im just making a point

The concept of pressure at an older age is less tolerated then when they are younger. Its not fun anymore, its work and competation against the fellow friend or team mate that you have to realize is he that good or am i really that bad.

The US U20s never played Canada in Florida this year. They narrowly beat us 2-1 in Blaine, Minnesota in mid-May, prior to going over to Holland. US goals scored by their best 2 players I might add. I don't think you made your point very well as there is little to back it up. What Florida result are you talking about?

quote:Originally posted by canso

So now it's Spain-Argentina and Nigeria-Nederlands in the QFs.

Good show!

I'm gonna predict the Dutch meet Spain in the finals.

If Holland wins the final and if Holland will be automatically in the 2007 playoffs here in Canada, I promise you guys a see of Orange.

The last time Holland was here playing against Canada at Varsity the whole place was orange.I was very much involved in this thing.Anyway I had some good training than.Just dreaming guys.

Guest Jeffery S.

Spain handled Turkey with relative ease, especially since any hope the Turks had to stay close were dampered by a terrible defensive error R Madrid right winger (some say Figo replacement) Juanfran took advantage of for the second goal, mid 1st half. The first he got by getting to a soft ball with his head in front of the keeper.

Second half Spain coasted, Cesc came off, seems he is a bit injured, and the team simply tackled well and countered powerfully, combining all over the place. A team with no real stars, with depth, and lots of variations in attack, plus perhaps the best use of wings in the tournament and effective striking by half a dozen.

Colombia got up on Argentina, a team that is physically quite small, really look like kids beside the athletic Colombia side. Messi got a great goal to tie in, then Barbosa struck deep into extra time, wonderful left-footer from the edge of the box, to take the win. But not before the Argentines had really hemmed in the Colombian team, forcing their keeper Arenas to make some fine stops.

Argentina is a bitch of a team, indeed the whole half of the draw is a bitch for Spain (note, no Barça players on the team, 4 from Espanyol though), who would likely face Brazil if they beat the Argies. In comparison it seems the hosts were set up with a favourable draw, which of course they had to take advantage of, and which they have.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

If Holland wins the final and if Holland will be automatically in the 2007 playoffs here in Canada, I promise you guys a see of Orange.

I don't believe that the champion automatically qualifies for the next tournament. Hell, they don't even do that for the World Cup any more. Unless Liverpool was to win the World Cup - then they might change the rules. :)

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The US U20s never played Canada in Florida this year. They narrowly beat us 2-1 in Blaine, Minnesota in mid-May, prior to going over to Holland. US goals scored by their best 2 players I might add. I don't think you made your point very well as there is little to back it up. What Florida result are you talking about?

The game was played in Bradenton, Fla. Tampa sometime in Jan of 2005 the result was USA Under 17 winning 3 - 1 against Canada under 20.

I am almost ceratain maybe someone else can verify or disagree but that it what was told to me....or i saw it some where the was a game with them. Im tryoing to locate the infomration source.

Archived