WYC 2005 Holland Overall Results [R]

beachesl

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by sj

all i am asking in tommorow's game is that we attempt to play the game

attacking;defending and creating opportunities even if we dont qualifying at least we dont waste another 90 mins to improve and give a good account of ourself.

forget the cat and mouse guesting and let try to play some football.

that is how we are going to progres on the world stage

we should not be afraid and let other nations dictates how we are going to approach the game.

playing like we did against Colombia is not a method we should even consider specially when this is suppose to be a youth development tournament.

we need to play positive football and that is what will really tell us where we are and how much we need to improve.

feels like those players are being asked to go to the battle field without any kind of amunitions all we are doing is surrender and try to limit the amount of casualties we cammot keep going into a retreat

the CSA has to make sure that before we send players to a tournament like this that they are properly armed and properly trained.

let show the world we can play attractive football instead of showing the world that not only we cannot pass the ball forward but also backwards.

quality post. I agree with most of what your saying, but part of promoting the game in Canada, is to have winning results? You're saying how we need to show Canada that we can play, but any random person isn't going to turn on the television, see us playing and if we are playing creative, positive soccer, go and watch it. The average Canadian to be honest does not know much about soccer, what we need is winning results. If winning results in Canadian terms is making it to the final 16...then hey, so be it.

I myself, do not care about results, I want to see what we can do versus a quality side like Italy.

Don't be down, mate. Let's cheer for the lads. GO CANADA!

Guest Jeffery S.

I wanted to post about the Swiss-Brazil game I saw two days ago, as the first half was excellent. I was particularly impressed by the Swiss squad, which had some real chances to score and at least get a draw. Senderos is the obvious reference at the back, but beside him there is a wonderful right side centre back namede Salatic. Watch for this guy, dribbles out of pressure, uses both feet, marks well, goes forwards, excellent player (at Grasshoppers, I think this guy should make the jump to a higher league now). Ziegler his the crossbar on a long, amazing shot, another dangerous lad (at Spurs).

I wanted to get a take on Brazil, as they are a perennial favourite. This team actually plays very quickly, no slow build, and almost everything goes up the left side, combining give and goes and looking for the end line even, so they have classic wingers on the squad. This contrasts with the fact that the centre striker Tardelli is quite average, I am surprised to see a Brazil team without a hot striker. In the end, like the Argies, they've been having problems scoring, get just what they need and that is all. Very good keeper in Renan. I think Colombia is the better side, indeed I would take them as the favourite if it were not for the fact that it looks like they face Argentina in the next round, so that could go either way.

I didn't realize how big that fourth goal for Italy against Canada was (which explains why they tried so hard to get it and got so excited about it when they did). It put them ahead of Chile and will allow them to finish ahead of South Korea (and hence advance to the next round) if South Korea lose to Brazil by any score. That's it, not impossible at all. Alternately, they will also advance if Netherlands beat Benin (or a 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2 draw) and Japan vs. Australia ends in a draw.

Unless my quick calculations are wrong.

Final set of first round results:

Netherlands 1 Benin 0

Japan 1 Australia 1

Brazil 2 South Korea 0

Nigeria 3 Switzerland 0

Those results allow Japan and Nigeria to advance from second place.

As for third place, Italy advance as the third-best third-place team:

Pts  GD   GF
Germany 4 +1 2
Turkey 4 0 4
Italy 3 0 5
Chile 3 -1 7
---------------------
S. Korea 3 -2 3
Benin 2 -1 2[/code]

As it turns out, Italy would have advanced even if they had beat us 4-2, 3-1 or even 3-2.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I wanted to get a take on Brazil, as they are a perennial favourite. This team actually plays very quickly, no slow build, and almost everything goes up the left side, combining give and goes and looking for the end line even, so they have classic wingers on the squad. This contrasts with the fact that the centre striker Tardelli is quite average, I am surprised to see a Brazil team without a hot striker. In the end, like the Argies, they've been having problems scoring, get just what they need and that is all. Very good keeper in Renan. I think Colombia is the better side, indeed I would take them as the favourite if it were not for the fact that it looks like they face Argentina in the next round, so that could go either way.

First, Brazil did not have a "hot Striker" in 2003. Second, I am actually surprised that Tardelli is playing as a central Striker because he tended to play on the wing for Sao Paulo (at least, when I saw him play)with Fabiano (in 2003) and Grafite (in 2004-5) as the main strikers. I expect Brazil to continue to improve and be there at the end. The Netherlands will be there in the end too because they have some exceptional talent.

As for Colombia, it still remains to be seen if their skill can shine when they begin to play against some teams filled with seasoned professionals. They will likely make the final four however.

As much as we Canadians might dislike it, the USA may be the surprise team. Sadly, the biggest difference is probably the playing experience that comes from being together more and competing against high quality opposition.

I think these are the second round matches:

United States vs. Italy

Morocco vs. Japan

Brazil vs. Syria

China vs. Germany

Nigeria vs. Ukraine

Netherlands vs. Chile

Colombia vs. Argentina

Spain vs. Turkey

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think these are the second round matches:

United States vs. Italy

Morocco vs. Japan

Brazil vs. Syria

China vs. Germany

Nigeria vs. Ukraine

Netherlands vs. Chile

Colombia vs. Argentina

Spain vs. Turkey

Watch that draw. As it stands only one of Argentina, Colombia or Brazil and Spain will make the final, they would face each other before it.

Colombia vs. Argentina is a very tough round of 16, and the winner will likely see Spain in quarters. The winner of that match would see the winner of the match up between Brazil and either Germany (perhaps the traditional favourite) or China, the surprise in the tournament. Call that Brazil going through to semis, where any of the Spanish speaking nations could be there.

The other side of the draw is softer, Netherlands would likely go through to see either Nigeria or Ukraine, and probably get past either. I see them as one semi-finalist. Then either the US or Italy, a team that has started slowly but may pick up, should get past apparently weaker rivals of Japan or Morocco.

My semi finals then: Holland-US/Italy on one side; Brazil-Argentina/Colombia/Spain on the other. I'd say home advantage will let the Dutch get into the final, where they'll see a latin-style team.

Re: Predictions for USA/Italy Match, June 21

Originally posted by Robert - 06/19/2005 : 07:02:32</u>

Having always considered the States to be our fiercest rivals and not being all that keen of the arrogance and ignorance so often displayed by many of our southern cousins, I find myself having to honour their current team. Unlike Canada, the States have been able to put together a pretty impressive team, topping a group which featured Argentina and Germany without conceding a goal shows just how far they've come on the international scene. Marvell Wynne and Frddy Adu are a prospective pair of superstars of which Canada has never produced the likes. I envy the seriousness of the United States soccer program. A pro-league, soccer stadiums, televion contracts, hosting World & Gold Cups all show how the USSF has left the CSA lightyears in the dust. Yes, out of pride I would have loved to have seen a Canada - USA match, in reality I'll much more enjoy watching the Americans dispose of a very poor Italian squad. I would like to see this tournament expand to 32 teams and do away with third place qualifies such as Chile and Italy, who have only shown that they can run up the score against the weakest teams, in this case Canada and Honduras. I doubt that Chile or Italy have more than a game each remaining in this tournament, which will really get started at the quarter final stage. Prediction: USA - Italy 2:0

Originally posted by Bertuzzi44 - 06/19/2005 : 15:32:13</u>

US 1 (Adu 76')

ITA 0

I don't know what we could have done better under all these very involved circumstances.I do blame the Canadian media totally for not accepting us as a major sport and has gone out of their way to try to destroy soccer in Canada.No Canadian media on Canadian soccer resulting in no marketing,no spectators etc,etc.We are not accepted as a North American sport.We may get lucky once in a while after all it is a game.We must find a way to see us accepted.This gentlemen is what it is all about.Turn the media!Our boys are amazing and oh so determined.Our coach did all the right things and they prepared properly.I was very proud of these guys and complete commitment to Canada.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

2-1 Italy right now

Italy isn't quite the crap team that people made them out to be.

3-1 Italy over the USA with uner 20 minutes to go.

Pelle the Conqueror with 2.

Adu has been invisible other than going down like an Italian (joke) on some minimal contact in the box for the early PK for USA. Note that the Italian GK stopped the 1st shot but ref had it retaken and USA scored on 2nd attempt.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Italy isn't quite the crap team that people made them out to be.

3-1 Italy over the USA with uner 20 minutes to go.

Yeah, I wish for our sakes I had been right about that, but the little charade with Syria fooled me for a while. Apparently the Italian press indicated that the team didn't start playing well until they played us, and now they've continued it seems.

Typical Italy, struggle through the first round, qualify at the last minute then make a run of it in through the tourney.

Diving puke USA players play on with Pelle down on the pitch. Italy GK takes offense and takes a punch from Barret. Italian GK gets the yellow. Followed immediately with american GK catching the ball outside his box. No call from useless Egyptian ref.

Diving puke USA players play on with Pelle down on the pitch. Italy GK takes offense and takes a punch from Barret. Italian GK gets the yellow. Followed immediately with american GK catching the ball outside his box. No call from useless Egyptian ref.

Egyptian ref eh? I think our Ref for the Colombia match was Egyptian, likely the same guy then that stiffed us with believing the Colombian dive that led to them breaking the deadlock.

3-1 final for Italy over the US. Is Jarrek around to make any statements about the lack of character on the US squad? Only seems fair to me.

Could conceivably be a Colombia / Italy final unless I'm not reading the brackets correctly.

You are correct, sir.

The fine points of American bracketology appear not to have worn off in soccer yet.

Now, it's:

ITA -MAR--------------QF

------------------------------SF

NGA/UKR - NED/CHILE---QF

GER -BRA--------------QF

-----------------------------SF

COL/ARG - ESP/TUR-----QF

Still think Holland will be in the final, probaly against a South American side (Colombia?) but I didn't see Italy play today.

Archived