WYC 2005 Holland Overall Results [R]

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by canso

If Japan beat Australia, than all four Asian teams will make the second round. It's up to Canada to make sure three of four CONCACAF teams don't finish bottom of the group.

China beat Colombia 2-0 a year ago.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

I understand the animosity towards the US on political issues because we have the worst president in our country's history. I don't blame people for disliking the US due to our global policies. At times I feel like I will be forever apologizing for my country. One thing I don't understand is the animosity towards US soccer. Strong performances by the US and other concacaf teams benefits the whole region. Good results at the senior and youth levels give our confederation more respect and more slots for world championships. I root for all the concacaf teams for this reason. Football in this region has improved a tremendous ammount and I wish to see that trend continue.

Just the opposite, because it is soccer I don't have to rationalize it. I hate the States in sports, they only time you can get a break is for rare occasions, like when Sugar Ray Leonard fought. Or for the finest talents on the basketball court, I don't necessarily favour a team with foreigners on it to win NBA. But that is club play.

Frankly, I would prefer for one team to qualify out of our region, and for that team to be us. Stupid dream, but that is the way it is.

(Oh, and zero teams out of Oceania).

Morocco - Chile 0-0 m. 24. This is one of two games that we want to end in a non-tie (ie either team winning benefits Canada).

FT now, Morocco wins 1-0.

Looks like the probabilities are now very much in our favour, should we beat Italy by any score. A non-tied result between Turkey and Ukraine today would clinch it.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

FT now, Morocco wins 1-0.

Looks like the probabilities are now very much in our favour, should we beat Italy by any score. A non-tied result between Turkey and Ukraine today would clinch it.

The fact that Chile's goal differential at 7-8 is -1, should help deflate Italy's slim hopes. At 1-4, they would have to beat Canada by 3 goals to beat out Chile.

Assuming that Ukr-Turk ends in a non-tie this afternoon, guaranteeing that a win over Italy puts us through, it will be interesting to see whether the Canadian sports media clues in to the fact. I'm predicting right now that at least one Canadian media outlet will report incorrectly that even a win over Italy would not guarantee we advance. They'll likely just keep repeating the same lines that were written during the past two days about "Canada needing help from other teams" etc.

For that matter, I want to see whether Gerry Dobson gets it right on Sportsnet tomorrow morning. Actually, now that I think about it Gerry should be OK because he has Craig to explain things to him beforehand. Still, you never know...

Even though the Mor-Chile result earlier today may well be enough (provided we beat Italy and Holland doesn't lose to Benin) I still really would like to see a decisive result from Ukr-Turk...

if only so that I can laugh at the Canadian media when they report tomorrow morning that "even a win over Italy may not be enough for Canada to go through" :-)

Actually, even if Ukr-Turk remains 2-2, we are still almost certainly ok. All we need is for either Holland to win/tie Benin, OR Brazil to defeat Korea. I doubt that both those results would go against us.

Yeah, for Canada to finish ahead of Turkey (who are 3rd in their group with a 0 goal differential & 4 points) they would need to beat Italy 3-0, as Turkey have scored 4 goals altogether and we have just one so far. So getting a 2-0 victory over Italy wouldn't help in this regard (though I suspect a 2-0 victory over Italy would likely put us in 2nd in our group, unless Colombia sits on their asses against Syria)- we would have the same differential but fewer goals.

I suspect Dave is right and its unlikely Holland will lose at home to Benin but it would have been nice not to worry about that even in the slightest. Canada has to do their own job first of course.

Interesting point, G-L, regarding Canada winning 2-0. Suppose that late in the game we are leading 1-0 and Colombia is leading 2-0. Does Mitchell tell the boys to go all out for another goal so we finish second and don't need to wait on the later matches? Personally I wouldn't take the chance, since it's unlikely that both Holland and Brazil fail to come through for us, and of course the Italians could hit us on the counter.

Knowing that Italy still have a slim chance, but would need to run up the score against us to do it, would they throw caution to the wind early on, thus potentially giving us some counterattacking chances? Maybe Mitchell should anticipate that and play for the counter himself???

My head's starting to hurt.

By the way G-L, I'm curious how your relatives might be looking at tomorrow's match. Are they feeling divided in their loyalty? Just curious.

all i am asking in tommorow's game is that we attempt to play the game

attacking;defending and creating opportunities even if we dont qualifying at least we dont waste another 90 mins to improve and give a good account of ourself.

forget the cat and mouse guesting and let try to play some football.

that is how we are going to progres on the world stage

we should not be afraid and let other nations dictates how we are going to approach the game.

playing like we did against Colombia is not a method we should even consider specially when this is suppose to be a youth development tournament.

we need to play positive football and that is what will really tell us where we are and how much we need to improve.

feels like those players are being asked to go to the battle field without any kind of amunitions all we are doing is surrender and try to limit the amount of casualties we cammot keep going into a retreat

the CSA has to make sure that before we send players to a tournament like this that they are properly armed and properly trained.

let show the world we can play attractive football instead of showing the world that not only we cannot pass the ball forward but also backwards.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

By the way G-L, I'm curious how your relatives might be looking at tomorrow's match. Are they feeling divided in their loyalty? Just curious.

My relatives don't know too much about this tourney becasue Italy only makes it occasionally, their games are never broadcast here, and this time round Italy is stinking the joint so unfortunately I don't think its generating as much excitment in the Italian soccer community as I'd hoped initially when I saw this grouping.

In my house we are all cheering for Canada of course. The fact that an Italy victory will still likely mean they don't qualify (unless they spank us, which seems unlikely) doesn't hurt the cheering for Canada. I just want to avoid a nightmare scenario where Italy does something tomorrow which knocks both teams out - which would essentially suck for a guy like me with my heritage!

Archived