Tee Oh Stadium #4 (Vaughan announcement June 9)

leekoo

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 8, 2005

CITY OF VAUGHAN TO ANNOUNCE PROPOSAL TO BUILD

WORLD-CLASS SOCCER STADIUM

WHAT: To announce a City of Vaughan proposal to build a new 20,000-seat soccer stadium at Vaughan Grove Sports Park

WHO: Mayor Michael Di Biase

Members of Vaughan Council

Local dignitaries

Executive members of the Ontario Soccer Association

Executive members of the Canadian Soccer Association

Members of local youth soccer teams

WHEN: THURSDAY, JUNE 9, 2005

11 a.m.

WHERE: The Ontario Soccer Centre

7601 Martingrove Road (south of Hwy 7; north of Hwy 407)

Vaughan, Ontario

WHY: To promote a City of Vaughan proposal to build a soccer stadium to host the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Youth Soccer Championships. The stadium will be part of the new Vaughan Soccer Campus.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this finally it. Of all the places in Canada to put a 20,000 seat SSS, I'm sure there's none better. Kevan in Vaughan. It does have a special ring to it. Rock concert, tractor pull and Evangelical promotors are scrambling already, I'm sure.

for us non gta'ers....where is vaughan in relation to the city centre? i assume its deep suburb....is this a good thing or a bad thing for the city of t.o.?

all i know about it is that they are building a really nice new city hall complex.

Note that the City of Vaughan is announcing their PROPOSAL to build a stadium, not that they are BUILDING a stadium. For what it is worth, I am on record as wanting a stadium built, but as Gianluca says, I'll won't hold my breath until a shovel is in the ground.

Trueviking, the location of Vaughan wrt Toronto downtown is discussed ad nauseum and includes maps in the thread about "Stadium in Vaughan or Downsview still possible?"

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Far.

But not that far. I'd say its closer & quicker to get to than Swangard is from Vancouver's city centre.

Not my first choice, if it happens, but rather this than nothing. Its not like the actual City of Toronto didn't have their chances at building their own.

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

Vaughan, Ontario

Well location is rediculous. I might prefer that it doesn't get built than have it there. Thats is just too far and useless for a very vast numbers of people in the GTA.

WHY: To PROMOTE a City of Vaughan PROPOSAL to build a soccer stadium to host the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Youth Soccer Championships. The stadium will be part of the new Vaughan Soccer Campus.

I'm having a press conference tomorrow to promote my proposal that Angelina Jolie sleep with me.

As for location, Vaughan only affects people who don't have access to a car. If you have a car, it's really not that far. Varsity or even the CNE would be just as bad for the 905ers (suburbanites for you foreigners here). So whatever the location, it would be good for some, and bad for others.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 8, 2005

CITY OF VAUGHAN TO ANNOUNCE PROPOSAL TO BUILD

WORLD-CLASS SOCCER STADIUM

WHAT: To announce a City of Vaughan proposal to build a new 20,000-seat soccer stadium at Vaughan Grove Sports Park

WHO: Mayor Michael Di Biase

Members of Vaughan Council

Local dignitaries

Executive members of the Ontario Soccer Association

Executive members of the Canadian Soccer Association

Members of local youth soccer teams

WHEN: THURSDAY, JUNE 9, 2005

11 a.m.

Vaughan, Ontario

WHY: To promote a City of Vaughan proposal to build a soccer stadium to host the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Youth Soccer Championships. The stadium will be part of the new Vaughan Soccer Campus.

Told you so.Hey you may even visit the Soccer Hall of Fame.I am delighted that it appears to be happening.Thanks to our Italian soccer friends they deserve it so very very much.Told that it would not happen in T.O ,but should in Vaughan.

It's common practice in the construction industry to use the word 'proposed' when designing a building. Where I work, when we send drawings to the city for permit, the title always starts with 'Proposed Renovations for...' or 'Proposed Building for...' We rarely have projects die after we've sent them to permit.

At the same time, I can't fault anyone for being cynical. This is what, the 4th press conference on a stadium in Toronto, I'm starting to lose track.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Strange to see a move outside of Toronto when sports have been at least moving back into the city (ie. Rugby Canada)

Aren't they playing this match at York U.? York U. is on the edge of Toronto. In fact, if you cross the street where the Canada-Wales match is taking place (Steeles Ave.) you would actually be in Vaughan.

I can't believe they're charging people $100 to watch a rugby match at that stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

It's common practice in the construction industry to use the word 'proposed' when designing a building. Where I work, when we send drawings to the city for permit, the title always starts with 'Proposed Renovations for...' or 'Proposed Building for...' We rarely have projects die after we've sent them to permit.

At the same time, I can't fault anyone for being cynical. This is what, the 4th press conference on a stadium in Toronto, I'm starting to lose track.

the keyword is PROMOTE not PROPOSED ...

if this stadium goes, it's going to downsview ... joe volpe is canada's immigration minister ... he is the political boss of toronto .. he is the federal mp in the riding next to downsview ...

he is not going to give $35 million to vaughan ... he'll give it to toronto ... the jobs will be in toronto ... the business will be in toronto

downsview is the best location in the greater torono area ... downsview has the land ... downsview is waiting for that land to be developed ...

my crystal ball works ... the future is ours ...

So Downsview and Exhibition Place are still in the running...

---

From the Toronto Star, June 9:

Vaughan plays for stadium

Mayor pitches site for soccer tourney

Downsview plan might have an edge

GAIL SWAINSON AND JIM BYERS

STAFF REPORTERS

Vaughan politicians are moving ahead with plans to build a 20,000-seat soccer stadium — providing they land $33 million in funding promised to the cancelled York University stadium project.

The proposed venue would play host to the 2007 world under-20 soccer championships, which were planned for York.

"We have the site, we have the plans," Mayor Michael Di Biase said yesterday. "We're here. We're ready to go."

Di Biase is expected to formally announce the stadium plans at a news conference today. Last month, council agreed to make a pitch for the $45 million stadium project.

The plan rests on obtaining $33 million in federal and provincial funding originally promised to the scuttled York project and raising some $12 million from the private sector. The government has not yet made a funding commitment to any venue other than York.

Vaughan is not the only city looking at building a soccer stadium to house the championships.

Hamilton, London and Mississauga are said to have talked to the Canadian Soccer Association about the project.

And there have been "some discussions with the City of Toronto," said Guy Bradbury, executive director of the Ontario Soccer Association.

"It comes back to the consistent sites previously named, including Downsview and the Canadian National Exhibition," Bradbury added.

Di Biase said Immigration Minister Joe Volpe strongly favours the Downsview site, which is just north of his federal riding of Eglinton-Lawrence.

This means Downsview is the likely front-runner because the federal government will contribute the lion's share — $25 million — of the funding, Di Biase said.

Speed in making a stadium decision is critical. York University had said it needed a shovel in the ground by October to be ready for the 24-nation tournament in July 2007.

"If Toronto is going to be considered, they're certainly going to have to be aware of the time frames," Bradbury said.

Toronto Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone said the best venue is still Exhibition Place. That was the Canadian Soccer Association's original choice before it began considering other options: first the former Varsity Stadium site on Bloor St. W. and then York University.

"The mayor (David Miller) and I still think it should be in Toronto," Pantalone said. "We have the transportation system; it's hard to get to Vaughan."

Officials with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment have said they are interested in bringing a major-league soccer franchise to Toronto, to be housed at Exhibition Place.

No one from MLSE could be reached yesterday for comment.

Di Biase said officials with the Toronto Lynx pro soccer club have said they will use a soccer stadium located in Vaughan for their matches.

But Nicole Hartrell, president and chief operating officer of the Lynx, said Vaughan is not the team's preferred site.

"Our public position on this for years is that we want a stadium built in the city of Toronto. The stadium has to be centrally located."

Vaughan's proposal is for the Vaughan Grove Sports Park, on Martin Grove Rd. south of Highway 7.

Hartrell said the Vaughan site has poor public transit and mediocre highway access. "The proposed location is behind a high school," she added.

Di Biase said that while he prefers the soccer stadium be built in Vaughan, his primary objective is to stir up interest in bringing the championships to Greater Toronto.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout

/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1118268615865&call_pageid=

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Well I think its bad even for people with cars. I went up there about a month ago to see the Can-Sco U16 match. You have to get there through Hwy 7 or Martingrove. These are four lane roads with several intersections rather than a rapid access routes such as QEW, Allen, 401, 400. Every mall that I can think of has a better access than the Ontario soccer centre. Just imagine what it would like to get in and out from that place during an event whereby 20-25K people show up.

My preference for stadium location would be 1) Exhibition, 2) Downsview, 3) Vaughan.

That being said, it does appear that the Vaughan proposal is the furthest along, and there is an incredibly tight schedule to get this deal done.

If it has to be in Vaughan, so be it. Let's just get something in the GTA soon.

Archived