Tee Oh Stadium #4 (Vaughan announcement June 9)

leekoo

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

sj-why should I bother responding? You've shown your disdain many times in here, and my opinion won't influence a change in any way.

And you seem to be in the same boat as Robert. You're convinced 'we suck' as you say. So why bother coming in here? Why let it bother you? Walk away and involved yourself with something else, because you have never offered solutions to the problems you rant about and you do nothing but bitch.

I don't mind you complaining about gratuitous bitching, but I for the life of me can't figure out exactly what you defend LMS. Could you explain to us what it is that you are defending, that you are supporting, so we who are not so gung-ho about what appear to be objective failures of the soccer system can at least consider an alternative?

I think you actually see yourself as positive about Canadian soccer against all that negativism you wail against, when I am of the opinion that the most positive thing we can do at this stage of the game is to be critical of real deficiencies. Negative, I'll leave that adjective for the hippy-happy cheerleaders amongst us.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

solution is give every team we assemble some respectable and sustainable preparation before we display them on tv and the entire world.

time and time again the players are ask to compensate for the obvious lack of proper preparation by improvising.

the first opinoins that we get from peoples watching the game is Canadian dont know how the game should be played and it turn them off.

they see the way the opposite team is passing the ball around with purpose and flair amd our team is in disarray.

the main missing ingredient with this team and previous CSA assembled product is unity

this team did well enough defensely and in midfield some creativity was there the attack was none existant.

and that what sell attacking football.

cant fault the players selected if thats what Yallop had at his disposal then at least give them some decent preparation before they represent their country.

preparation when done properly is an investment that will yeild better devidend than any stadium with a poor on field product can.

I beleive that we are paying the Likes of Pipe and Co to find solutions and so far we are being outpace by countries like Guatemala and Pamana

Why do you think peoples are opening Mcdonalds and Tim Hortons outfits and not building soccer stadium across this vaste land of ours

could it be because they have a product that has a higher marketable value due to market research and product development.

to increase your market share you have to improve the quality of your product to meet customer needs and expectations.

the TO stadium is not going to do much if the quality of the product is not up to par.

we already have better facilities in the east in Molson stadium and Frank Clair stadium.

why does the finishing product still sucks?

An MLS team is not going to support our national team requirements as much as the Montreal Impact did.

no way an MLS team with their kind of budget will let half of their players go for more than three games.

work with what we have but do it in a professional manner.

no more bandaid solutions.

no more teams assembled for one event only and never to be seen together again.

we need continuity

an association that shows that shows innovations,creativity and radical approach that will get us out this eternal slump once and for all.

I dont care how other countries does it

the CSA has to find a solution specific to our own shortcomings.

if what it takes to qualify is playing our qualifying games in yellowknife with mainly north American base players then so be it.

Mexico has their asteca we should have something that opponents find it a nightmare to play in and would prefer to serrender the 3 points than showing up for a qualifying game.

it should hell for visiting teams to play a qualifying game in Canada

right now its like paradise a sure 3 points for the opponent plus so that they really feel at home to be in festive move to whip our boys butt they are even being greeted with their own traditional band and music prior to the opening kick off and at half time coutesy of the brains from the CSA.

<<solution is give every team we assemble some respectable and sustainable preparation before we display them on tv and the entire world.>>

Ok sure. Since they are overseas playing to feed their families, how do you plan to do that? Who is going to convince team managers to release these guys 2 weeks before a tournament so they can get extra prep time?

<<work with what we have but do it in a professional manner>>

no offence SJ but thats the kind of solution anyone can throw out there. Its a meaningless expression of frustration, not a solution.

a week's prep camp and an exhibition game against Honduras is about the best preparation our national team is gonna get before a tournament like this.. When half our team is in season in Scandanavia and USL,, and the other half are trying to get a little rest in the offseason before starting another long gruelling season in Europe,, it's impossible to get a team together for more then a week... I think Holger realized this and made a smart move by holding 3 day camps in Germany every once in a while with the same core of players just to keep them familiar with playing with each other (which is a huge factor in world cup qualifying) I would like to see this practice continued by having some more Euro camps every so often and get the same young core of guys playing and practicing together,, may be wishful thinking but worth a shot..

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

If it is that disappointing and terrible to you, please go away.

Canadian soccer can do without your 'support'.

Dear Loud Mouth Soup,

I can appreciate that you don't appreciate my approach. Big poop. I don't give a poop what you think about me, and I'm not going anywhere on your accord.

As far as your statement regarding what kind of support Canadian soccer does or does not need, only reflects your limitations. Soccer in this country needs all the support it can get, even yours. It is exactly the lack of support, i.e. no one seriously willing to do business of any kind with the current CSA administration, that our much loved game finds itself in the current duldrums it does. Kevan Pipe & Andy Sharpe have had ample time to show what they are capable of, and both have delivered nothing. How long do you keep starting a striker, who game after game after game fails to score. What do people like yourself contribute, spending much time and energy writing how offensive and rude I am. Maybe for you my delivery is to hard to swallow. If so, why bother. Nobody is forcing you to read it. However, even the most optimistic-Maple-Leaf-flag waving-soccer-fan must feel dissatisfied with the current state of Canadian soccer affairs. If you dissagree, like I said, name one thing about Canadian soccer that you feel good about.

Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

CIBC, Telus, Adidas, Tide, Air Canada, ...

The key word was $eriously. As in $20M, not paltry tax write-offs dollars for mega corporations. Are CIBC, Telus, Adidas, Tide, Air Canada, ... $eriously interested in building a stadium in Toronto?

In a post on the previous page by marktci, Posted - 07/08/2005 : 11:15:16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oakville makes pitch for soccer showcase

Local soccer club proposes $50M complex

Bid to attract 2007 FIFA under-20 world tournament

MIKE FUNSTON

STAFF REPORTER

The Canadian Soccer Association will choose the site at the end of July.

Are Kevan Pipe and Andy Sharpe getting close to selecting this site. Today is July 11.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Are Kevan Pipe and Andy Sharpe getting close to selecting this site. Today is July 11.

I don't know, do you?

Do you think they'll share their deliberations with you or anybody else before the end of July Robert?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I don't know, do you?

Do you think they'll share their deliberations with you or anybody else before the end of July Robert?

The longer the CSA waits with making an announcement, only indicates to me that nothing has been yet been decided. With the WYC and Gold Cup tournaments being over for us, soccer will be on the Canadian media's backburner again, and I have my doubts anything will be made public even by the end of July. It would be nice to see STAFF REPORTER, MIKE FUNSTON, keeping this story alive in the news. If Andy and Kevan had some good news to share, I'm sure a press conference would be quick to follow. In this case, no news really means no news, and that's bad news.

This is the only thing they have done right in thise whole debacle. There is absolutely no reason they should announce anything since nothing is finalized. Just like they should have never announced stadiums at the CNE, UofT, or York when they were nothing more than a fantasy.

Agreed, some people on this board criticised the CSA for announcing stadiums before they had guarantees. Now these same people criticise the CSA for not having made any announcements. The CSA has learnt its lesson, have you? How be we just chill out until the end of July. Good grief.

As of July 5, here's where we stand with respect to stadiums. (from Toronto Star)

Ex may get soccer stadium after all

Waiting on money from province, feds

Quick decision needed for 2007 FIFA tourney

JORDAN HEATH-RAWLINGS

SPORTS REPORTER

With less than a month to go before the Canadian Soccer Association announces what is hopefully a final location for its 20,000-seat soccer stadium, speculation on that location has come full circle, back to a site first proposed more than two years ago.

But the body governing soccer in Canada is keeping mum about a proposal to place the stadium — which will play host to the FIFA 2007 world youth championship — back on the grounds of Toronto's Exhibition Place.

After all, the CSA has been burned before on this deal.

"There's been a considerable amount of interest in the (Exhibition Place) site ... but we've had two false starts on this thing already, so we really don't want to say anything now," said Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer of the CSA, referring to the original plans to pair the stadium with a new home for the Argos, first on the Varsity site at the University of Toronto and then later on the campus of York University.

Both deals fell through at the last minute, the Argos signed a new deal to remain at the Rogers Centre, and the proposed stadium is now back to being a soccer-only installation.

While other sites making proposals for the stadium include locations in Vaughan, Mississauga and at Toronto's Downsview Park, some members of Toronto's city council are rallying around the Exhibition Place site, which was first proposed in 2002, before the Argos ever entered the deal.

Mayor David Miller is firmly behind the idea of a new stadium on the site, Toronto Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone said yesterday, and has lobbied hard for it in several conversations with members of the CSA.

"And what he hears back is that we are right: this is the most ideal location," Pantalone said.

But time is getting short, he added.

"It should have been done yesterday, as we all know," he said. "But I think there is still enough time."

The CSA has said it will make a decision on where to place the stadium by the end of the month, provided the federal and provincial governments — who had agreed to provide a combined $35 million to the project when it was slated for construction at York University — agree with their choice.

Both levels of government will now need to sign off on the new location and plans before officially announcing their contributions again.

"Without that (government funding), it is not even a discussion," Pantalone said.

But he added that if the Exhibition Place site was chosen before the end of the month, his team would work quickly to be ready with a full report for city council on the logistics of the project.

"If that federal commitment came through and the CSA was interested, we could bring a report to city council by ... the end of September," he said. "We're waiting for a green light from the government before we spend any more of our resources."

If Exhibition Place is to host the stadium, and it is to be ready for the July 1-22, 2007 FIFA tournament, the decision must come soon, Pantalone said.

"I think we have to have a green light or, at least, a red light sometime in the next couple of weeks," he said. If they don't, he said, he doubts Exhibition Place could be made ready in time.

"What will happen then is that Canada will have egg on its face."

The last sentence says it all. No Toronto, no World Youth Championship for Canada in 2007, and God only knows how long after that. You say, "Good grief, chill until the end of July." I say with only 18 days till the end of July, now is not the time to chill. Non of us want Canada to have egg on its face. Every soccer fan in this country wants us to proudly host the world in 2007. Without 6 acceptable venues it's not going to happen. Like the article states, the time for action was yesterday, and right now we are scrambling with only days to go. I pray that Toronto gets a stadium built in time, but time is running out. How would you rate our chances of success at this point in time? 50 / 50? If it does fails who will bear the responsibility for that failure? Will that party face up to their failure, or will it be the usual finger pointing in every direction but where the true onus lies? Should the CSA have bid for the rights to host this championship, without first having guaranteed it would be able to successfully stage the event in the first place? Never mind what Rogers, the Argos, the Universities, or any one else did. The CSA presented the bid to FIFA that Canada would be the best choice for hosting the 2007 World Youth Championships, and now having been awarded the right to do so, it is time for Mr. Pipe and Mr. Sharpe to deliver!

Robert, I guess it was a gamble. One reason why the US is so successfull is because they take risks. We Canadians are generally coservative and timid, refusing to take risks for fear of failure.

"We can't bid for WYC because we dont have facilities". I for one am glad we took the approach "We can bid for WYC so we can get facilities ". This might still blow up and leave egg on our faces but if we didnt bid at all chances are we wouldnt have a stadium confirmed for Montreal and wouldnt be looking to build one here in Toronto either. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Robert, I guess it was a gamble. One reason why the US is so successfull is because they take risks. We Canadians are generally coservative and timid, refusing to take risks for fear of failure.

"We can't bid for WYC because we dont have facilities". I for one am glad we took the approach "We can bid for WYC so we can get facilities ". This might still blow up and leave egg on our faces but if we didnt bid at all chances are we wouldnt have a stadium confirmed for Montreal and wouldnt be looking to build one here in Toronto either. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You're full of bull! When you make a bid of this magnatude, or for that matter any magnatude, you have an obligation to fulfill your commitments. This has nothing to do with the United States, or risk taking, or the Saputo family building a stadium (they should sue the CSA if they built it for the WYCs and the CSA finds they are incapable of staging the event). The CSA has received nothing but help. FIFA granted $1M and awarded Canada the rights to host this championship. The federal and Ontario provincial governments immediately offered substantial funds to help build a stadium. Do FIFA and those governments have to do everything for our incapable national soccer body. All the CSA has done is point their finger at people who initially were willing to do business with Canadian soccer, but one by one they all withdrew. Why? These businesses don't have those kind of problems in their other dealings. Just maybe could it possibly be that that all said, "That's it! We're not dealing with these (CSA) incompetent fools any longer. They are a complete waste of time and have nothing to offer." Is that possible?

You're full of bull! When you make a bid of this magnatude, or for that matter any magnatude, you have an obligation to fulfill your commitments. This has nothing to do with the United States, or risk taking, or the Saputo family building a stadium (they should sue the CSA if they built it for the WYCs and the CSA finds they are incapable of staging the event). The CSA has received nothing but help. FIFA granted $1M and awarded Canada the rights to host this championship. The federal and Ontario provincial governments immediately offered substantial funds to help build a stadium. Do FIFA and those governments have to do everything for our incapable national soccer body. All the CSA has done is point their finger at people who initially were willing to do business with Canadian soccer, but one by one they all withdrew. Why? These businesses don't have those kind of problems in their other dealings. Just maybe could it possibly be that that all said, "That's it! We're not dealing with these (CSA) incompetent fools any longer. They are a complete waste of time and have nothing to offer." Is that possible?

I sincerely hope it was more than just a gamble, and want to see it go ahead in Canada. Soccer people are investing time and money on it. The BC Soccer and the Lower Vancouver Island Associations sent people to Holland to see how they were running their U20's so that Vancouver and Victoria could run things properly for the 2007 U20's.

As an aside, the Holland trips were a scam, Vancouver and Victoria hosted the world womens U19s a few years ago, so they know what is required. They didn't need to send anyone to Holland, but they did anyway.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

I sincerely hope it was more than just a gamble, and want to see it go ahead in Canada. Soccer people are investing time and money on it. The BC Soccer and the Lower Vancouver Island Associations sent people to Holland to see how they were running their U20's so that Vancouver and Victoria could run things properly for the 2007 U20's.

As an aside, the Holland trips were a scam, Vancouver and Victoria hosted the world womens U19s a few years ago, so they know what is required. They didn't need to send anyone to Holland, but they did anyway.

Scam or no scam. I feel you can't do to much homework. You never know what has been learned that could be of later benefit. We all want to see the tournament come off.

I'm willing to contribute and donate a shovel in Toronto, cause Lord only knows, how much crap Kevan and co. have spread on top of the dirt that needs to be removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived