Tee Oh Stadium #4 (Vaughan announcement June 9)

leekoo

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

Hartrell said the Vaughan site has poor public transit and mediocre highway access. "The proposed location is behind a high school," she added.

Now I'm in trouble. I'm in agreement with the Hartrells. Maybe I've been wrong about this location:D.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Aren't they playing this match at York U.? York U. is on the edge of Toronto. In fact, if you cross the street where the Canada-Wales match is taking place (Steeles Ave.) you would actually be in Vaughan.

I can't believe they're charging people $100 to watch a rugby match at that stadium.

Rugby matches used to take place in Markham.

I commend the City of Vaughan for taking the initiative and pushing this project along. If nothing gets built in downtown Toronto, I think Vaughan will be a good alternative.

On the transport links: sure, there may be no good highways and public transit access now, but highways can be built and bus routes can be changed. The Corel Centre in Ottawa was built on a bunch of farmland out on the far side of the former suburb of Kanata (which has since been swallowed by Ottawa). It just had a two-lane highway (part of the Trans-Canada) and no buses. But once it was built, the highway was expanded to service the stadium and the regional transit authority began running special express buses from Ottawa to and from the Corel Centre whenever there is an event there. Toronto can do the same for Vaughan.

What does Vaughan get out of all this? Well, that farmland surrounding the Corel Centre is now filled with new subdivisions and big box stores that sprung up out there to take advantage of the newly expanded highway that was put in to service the Corel Centre. That was a lot of development revenue for Kanata.

Oh, and don't forget that Gillette Stadium is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere vis-a-vis Boston (it's actually much closer to Providence, Rhode Island, than it is to Boston) yet that doesn't prevent thousands of people from taking special trains or the highway (expanded because of the stadium) from Boston to Foxborough to watch New England Patriots and New England Revolution matches.

There are probably plenty of other examples of successful stadiums being built in suburbs, in addition to the Corel Centre and Gillette Stadium. Yes, downtown would be preferable, but the suburbs are a reasonable alternative in a pinch.

You see, the problem with being gun shy and playing your cards down and dirty is that you limit your options. You miss things, and that's what Kevan Pipe has proven to be a master at over twenty years now. He is incapable of conceptualizing a challenge from start right through to the finish. Foreseeing all the possible things that can and very often do go wrong during the process. Currently, he is making that same mistake, because he has worked himself into a corner. Time is running out, and one by one so are his options. Right now the CSA has not publicly announced a deadline for accepting any last proposals for building a stadium in the GTA. That does not exhaust every possible option that may exist. I am sure that there are quiet a few silent moneymen in Toronto, who are watching the toteboard with only two minutes to post time. Not only are they watching the toteboard, but more importantly their looking at the filly, C(an)S(he)A(chieve), and those that are handling her. Does trainer, Kevan Pipe, look confident and like he knows where the finish line is? What kind of weight is jockey, Andy Sharpe, carrying. Is owner, Joe Volpe, at the betting window? Now if you were a wagering man, capable of investing at least $12,000,000.00 on the outcome of this race. Would you start walking to the betting window now, or is it time to flip the page and start looking at the next race?

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Oh, and don't forget that Gillette Stadium is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere vis-a-vis Boston (it's actually much closer to Providence, Rhode Island, than it is to Boston) yet that doesn't prevent thousands of people from taking special trains or the highway (expanded because of the stadium) from Boston to Foxborough to watch New England Patriots and New England Revolution matches.

Actually, Gillette stadium is the perfect example of why you should avoid Vaughan. Do you recall what it was like after the games were over and we had to leave? I have never experienced anything like that before. Actually, the roads around Gillette stadium are very similar to what surrounds the Soccer centre in Vaughan. the parking lot, althpugh vastly bigger, is similar in layout and suroundings.

Its also worth noting that for the longest time( prior to the super bowl wins and maybe even before Robert Kraft bought the team), the Pats were mired in the number four position amongst popularity of pro sports teams in Boston. Very far behind the Bruins and Red sox. Could it be that playing foxboro played a part in that. I cannot think of any other US market where the NFL team would rank fourth amongst.

I think some of you guys are being a bit overly dramatic. You'd rather have no stadium than a stadium in Vaughan? That sounds like the same kind of snobbery we are used to with soccer fans who will only watch EPL or Serie A and not watch Canadian clubs.

What I like about this whole thing is that there is a competition now. Ideally, the Toronto locations would seem to be a lot more appealing, but a new stadium in Vaughan sounds better to me than a few games at SkyDome or Ivor Wynne in Hamilton and no legacy at all.

Jason

Jason, I think most people would take a stadium in Vaughan over none at all. However, I see Vaughan as the absolute last case scenario if Exhibition and Downsview dont work out. Since the Downsview the lands are owned by the Feds I am hoping Minister Volpe can lean on the government get some of it devoted to a stadium.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Jason, I think most people would take a stadium in Vaughan over none at all. However, I see Vaughan as the absolute last case scenario if Exhibition and Downsview dont work out. Since the Downsview the lands are owned by the Feds I am hoping Minister Volpe can lean on the government get some of it devoted to a stadium.

the EX is a downtown stadium ... the argos and blue jays played there for years ...

downsview is a GTA stadium ... it's midtown and minutes north of the 401 ... travel the 401 eastbound you could end up in montreal ... travel the 401 westbound you could reach vancouver ...

toronto has already built its subway ... the north end of the subway is around the corner from downsview ...

the pope gave his blessing to downsview ... the rolling stones paid their respects to downsview too ...

downsview is also being primed for the development of the canadian sports institute and the canadian sports centre ...

So no one really needs to listen to me but I do have some info on the situation.

Downsview has already been approved. Volpe and Dryden are behind this.

Problem is that the plans fall into the entire sports complex that will cost 200 plus million that they don't have at least 75% of. I'm sure I don't have to explain why this is a problem!

There is also rumor of a petition already launched in Downsview by the residents and probably some local councilor trying to get some spotlight about the stadium and noise and blah, blah, blah.

The only reason why it won't go here is if they can't get the commitment for funds ASAP. All 3 architects who bid on the YorkU stadium as well as the developers gave October as a break ground date for the stadium to be built in time. Were talking a few months for full approvals on funding, environmental assessments and all the other crap they need to do. The only thing worse then no stadium is umm..... er..... no stadium (because it doesn't get finished in time).

We can kill the CNE option quite easily. There is so much red tape for that land that I'll be surprised if anything other then some more convention centers and parking spots get put on that land. Think of all the other venues that will claim the new stadium will provide even more competition for concerts and events.

So now for Vaughan, transit is in the works. There is a commitment from 407 to build ramps at Martingrove that feed right into the land. Don't quote me but I'm sure they'll even offer free use during the world cup so they can continue to rape all the users the other 364 days of the year. Vaughan has a new transit system in the works http://www.vivayork.com/ that is pretty high tech and appropriately is said to have run out of money. (Government will open the coffers for the purpose of providing transit for the stadium).

There are clearly not enough hotels in Vaughan and this would put a push to hotel companies to build something. Hilton just broke ground at the AMC complex on 400 and 7.

And last, there are a lot of ego's with deep pockets in Vaughan that will support whatever their political buddies (who've allowed them to build 40 houses on 100 square feet of land) ask. The O.S.A., C.P.S.L. and other associations are there. (Watch for the C.S.A. to relocate to the new stadium as soon as it's built. Rumors have them wanting to get to T.O. and the stadium plans conveniently enough have a section built in for office space above and beyond what is needed to run the stadium.)

Vaughan isn't the perfect option but quite frankly, they’re not talking about a 40k seat stadium to support C.F.L. and host large rock concerts. All these plans for a 20k seat stadium are actually 10k - 14k seat stadiums with moveable bleachers to provide the rest of the seating. They could drop this stadium in Oakville, Hamilton, Muskoka? And the results would be the same, a spark of interest at the beginning and then the hard-core fans and interested parties will find a way to get there. I personally know people that drove, flew and whatever else to get to the games in the U.S. last year while stretching their credit cards.

Look at this as a positive for Soccer period, step back and notice that a lot of cards are falling into place. No hockey for the last year has put a lot of international soccer on T.V. Interest is up and the soccer playing youth numbers are growing every day. The unfortunate part with a country this size and diverse is that there will always be disagreements and something wrong with every option provided.

It's amazing how there are 100,000 opinions on the soccer stadium yet only 5,000(guessing?) people show up to a team Canada game!

Good luck Voyageurs!

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

DJT, most likely MLSE do have their noses and in fact whole heads in this thing. What is yapping to the press gonna achieve? I suspect they are working quietly behind the scenes to bring people together to get the best possible outcome.

That's possible, but I see no reason to believe that it is "most likely". I am much more cynical about these things than most people, but I think there are many more reasons to feel this way than otherwise if you have been following Canadian soccer for even just the last five years.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

The original post by leekoo, "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE," on June 8, 2005, never disclosed the source of the release. Unless it was leekoo himself.

The City of Vaughan

(the city above toronto)

Media Contact:

Madeline Zito

Director of Corporate Communications

905-832-8585 ext. 8027

madeline.zito@vaughan.ca

quote:Originally posted by Soccer eh

So no one really needs to listen to me but I do have some info on the situation.

Downsview has already been approved. Volpe and Dryden are behind this. Problem is that the plans fall into the entire sports complex that will cost 200 plus million that they don't have at least 75% of. I'm sure I don't have to explain why this is a problem!

There is also rumor of a petition already launched in Downsview by the residents and probably some local councilor trying to get some spotlight about the stadium and noise and blah, blah, blah.

The only reason why it won't go here is if they can't get the commitment for funds ASAP.

if you can forget soccer for a moment ...

it would be a greater issue for the city of toronto if $35 million left Tee OH for vaughan ... and if you are saying the downsview package is worth $200+ million then it would be an even greater issue for toronto ...

unless there is a shakeup coming in the federal liberal party i cannot believe that federal toronto liberal politicians would give up toronto infrastructure ...

at the moment joe volpe, canada's immigration minister and toronto federal liberal boss is busy with gurmant grewal not the CSA ...

quote:Originally posted by DJT

MLSE are unavailable for comment? If they really want MLS, shouldn't they have their noses in the middle of this?

This whole thing is stupid.

Yet getting their noses into it can easily backfire in their faces.

I wonder if MLSE thinks that a stadium in Vaughan is way outside of their comfort zone.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

My preference for stadium location would be 1) Exhibition, 2) Downsview, 3) Vaughan.

That being said, it does appear that the Vaughan proposal is the furthest along, and there is an incredibly tight schedule to get this deal done.

If it has to be in Vaughan, so be it. Let's just get something in the GTA soon.

Rudi,

I totally agree!

db

4th place on the list of preferences has to be the Mississauga proposal which I read in the Toronto Star today. A 2000 to 5000 seater with expandable seating up to 20,000 because the people behind the bid believe there is no need for a 20,000 seat stadium in Toronto. Yeah, the CSA is going to want to pursue that one all right! You might as well add temporary seats to Centennial (which is on the Mississauga/Etobicoke border, far enough west as it is) if you're going to do that.

Vaughan joins field to build soccer stadium

PETER MALLETT

520 words

10 June 2005

The Globe and Mail

A11

English

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

Time is running out for Toronto to build a soccer stadium and act as a host site for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championships, Canadian Soccer Association officials said yesterday.

As many as four stadium proposals will soon be on the table of soccer's national governing body, including newcomer Vaughan.

Toronto, Mississauga and Vaughan are now jockeying for position to obtain $33-million in federal and provincial funding initially earmarked for the failed York University soccer stadium project.

“The clock is definitely ticking on whether a community in the Toronto area is going to be able to act as a host site and build a stadium,” said Vincent Ursini, the CSA's director of finance.

“Who knows when and if the money is going to come off the table from the federal government — there are no guarantees that the funds will always be there. The sooner we can come to a decision, we can get the shovels in the ground and get the construction under way.”

Mr. Ursini said that the CSA board of directors will give equal consideration to all proposals but, because of time constraints, they will be forced to announce a final decision within the next four to six weeks.

If the CSA is unable to assure soccer's world governing body that a Toronto stadium will be built, other Canadian cities, including London and Hamilton, will offer to take Toronto's place as host of the world youth tournament.

Yesterday morning, officials from Vaughan and the Ontario Soccer Association pitched their plans for a $50-million, 20,000-seat stadium to be built at the Ontario Soccer Centre, which is a training site for the men's and women's national and provincial teams.

Vaughan Mayor Michael Di Biase promised that the remaining $17-million in stadium funding will come from private investors and not from tax dollars.

Soccer is Canada's most popular participatory sport with more than 800,000 registered players, but has always struggled to gain a footing as a spectator sport.

OSA executive director Guy Bradbury believes the 2007 tournament and a new stadium in the Greater Toronto Area could provide a major breakthrough for the game. He added that the Vaughan training site is a good location for a stadium because nearly one-third of Canada's soccer players live within a one-hour drive.

“This would be a real home for soccer, but this proposal wouldn't be happening without the support from the City of Vaughan,” Mr. Bradbury said.

“We fully endorse and support this project and are looking forward to seeing this facility built here.”

The City of Toronto is also preparing a proposal for the CSA to build a stadium at either Downsview Park or Exhibition Place, while the City of Mississauga is readying its own bid for consideration by the CSA board of directors.

Yesterday's announcement by OSA and Vaughan officials came less than a month after plans for a $70-million, 25,000-seat stadium at York University crashed to the ground.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Vaughan joins field to build soccer stadium

PETER MALLETT

520 words

10 June 2005

The Globe and Mail

A11

English

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

Time is running out for Toronto to build a soccer stadium and act as a host site for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championships, Canadian Soccer Association officials said yesterday.

As many as four stadium proposals will soon be on the table of soccer's national governing body, including newcomer Vaughan.

Toronto, Mississauga and Vaughan are now jockeying for position to obtain $33-million in federal and provincial funding initially earmarked for the failed York University soccer stadium project.

“The clock is definitely ticking on whether a community in the Toronto area is going to be able to act as a host site and build a stadium,” said Vincent Ursini, the CSA's director of finance.

“Who knows when and if the money is going to come off the table from the federal government — there are no guarantees that the funds will always be there. The sooner we can come to a decision, we can get the shovels in the ground and get the construction under way.”

Mr. Ursini said that the CSA board of directors will give equal consideration to all proposals but, because of time constraints, they will be forced to announce a final decision within the next four to six weeks.

If the CSA is unable to assure soccer's world governing body that a Toronto stadium will be built, other Canadian cities, including London and Hamilton, will offer to take Toronto's place as host of the world youth tournament.

Yesterday morning, officials from Vaughan and the Ontario Soccer Association pitched their plans for a $50-million, 20,000-seat stadium to be built at the Ontario Soccer Centre, which is a training site for the men's and women's national and provincial teams.

Vaughan Mayor Michael Di Biase promised that the remaining $17-million in stadium funding will come from private investors and not from tax dollars.

Soccer is Canada's most popular participatory sport with more than 800,000 registered players, but has always struggled to gain a footing as a spectator sport.

OSA executive director Guy Bradbury believes the 2007 tournament and a new stadium in the Greater Toronto Area could provide a major breakthrough for the game. He added that the Vaughan training site is a good location for a stadium because nearly one-third of Canada's soccer players live within a one-hour drive.

“This would be a real home for soccer, but this proposal wouldn't be happening without the support from the City of Vaughan,” Mr. Bradbury said.

“We fully endorse and support this project and are looking forward to seeing this facility built here.”

The City of Toronto is also preparing a proposal for the CSA to build a stadium at either Downsview Park or Exhibition Place, while the City of Mississauga is readying its own bid for consideration by the CSA board of directors.

Yesterday's announcement by OSA and Vaughan officials came less than a month after plans for a $70-million, 25,000-seat stadium at York University crashed to the ground.

Now if it is Downsview this would be great for me.It is a 3 minute drive from my business.There are some great restaurants in and around Yonge and Sheppard. There is the subway connecting all of Toronto and some great strip joints another 3 or 4 minutes away.

note:edit re format only, response contained in quotes...moderator

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Now if it is Downsview this would be great for me.It is a 3 minute drive from my business.There are some great restaurants in and around Yonge and Sheppard. There is the subway connecting all of Toronto and some great strip joints another 3 or 4 minutes away.

Sounds interesting. What kind of strip joints?

Sounds interesting. What kind of strip joints?

How much detail do you need.I guess if this really takes of we may even have the girls dressed in soccer tops with your team name and oh those balls,just imagine.

Just measured the distance again it is exactly 3.5 km from my main store.

Come to think of it I made a killing in parking fees when the Pope was here,so I suppose.Anyway you guys will have free parking,just put a Voyageur sticker in your window.

Soccer comes first.Right

How much detail do you need.I guess if this really takes of we may even have the girls dressed in soccer tops with your team name and oh those balls,just imagine.

Just measured the distance again it is exactly 3.5 km from my main store.

Come to think of it I made a killing in parking fees when the Pope was here,so I suppose.Anyway you guys will have free parking,just put a Voyageur sticker in your window.

Soccer comes first.Right

Does Vaughan have any strip joints? If not, I recommend the CSA approves the Downsview location immediately. Does anyone want to buy a Voyageurs sticker?

Archived