WYC News Thread (R)

Reza

"While the top 24 national youth teams contest the coveted world title in the Netherlands between 10 June and 2 July 2005, the seven-strong FIFA Technical Study Group (TSG) co-ordinated by Holger Osieck, FIFA Head of Technical Development, and..."

Head of FIFA Technical Development, not good enough for the CSA.

Wonder if Holger still has a soft spot in his heart for Canadians?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holger is the consumate professional; I wish he could have stayed on as Technical Director of the CSA, but I doubt he was particularly interested after he lost the coaching job. But who knows? Maybe the CSA couldn't afford him AND Yallop, or maybe they figured we are just about as technically proficient as we need to be and do not require such a director.

I think Holger still has a soft spot for Canadians, if only because he has family living here.

quote:Originally posted by canso

"we are just about as technically proficient as we need to be"

Didn't Frank come out and blame the failed WCQ campaign on the fact that Canadian players do not posess the required technical skill level?

Not exactly.

I don't know if this article has been posted yet or not. anyways here it is. Its a CP article that I found in the globe and mail web pages. Among other things, it explains why Uccello was not selected ( see the very end)

The World Youth Championship kicks off in the Netherlands on Friday with South American teams favoured to once again contest the under-20 soccer title. Canada's goals are more modest, however.

Coach Dale Mitchell is looking to get past the first round, surviving pool games with Syria, Colombia and Italy to reach the knockout stage of the 24-team tournament that Canada will host in 2007.

He knows it won't be easy, starting Sunday with Syria (Rogers Sportsnet, check local listings).

"It's going to be a tough match for us, there's no question," Mitchell said Thursday from the Canadian base in Tilburg. "All the matches here, you're on a different level now than you were in CONCACAF (Canada's confederation).

Advertisements

"Syria obviously aren't as well known or have the history that the other two teams in our group have, but they still have very good players. And those players, like most of the kids in this tournament, are with full-time professional clubs."

That is not the case with Canada. While 12 of the young Canadians are with pro clubs, another eight are at university and one (defender Simon Kassaye) is unattached at the moment.

The competition opens Friday in Kerkrade with Benin facing Australia and the Netherlands taking on Japan in Group A. The 52-game schedule wraps up July 2.

The top two teams in each of the six first-round pools, plus the four best third-place finishers advance to the second round.

Canada and Syria likely will be vying for the third position in Group E, making Sunday's game all the more important.

Mitchell led Canada into the quarter-finals two years ago in the United Arab Emirates, the best ever showing by a Canadian men's team at a FIFA world championship. The Canadian campaign ended in a 2-1 extra-time loss to eventual runner-up Spain.

In 1997 in Malaysia, Bruce Twamley's team made it to the second round before losing 2-0 to Spain.

Mitchell has yet to announce his starting 11 for Syria, but will probably stick closely to the lineup he used in the CONCACAF qualifying tournament.

That team had Josh Wagenaar in goal behind a back four of Nikolas Ledgerwood, Kassaye, Andrew Hainault and Vince Stewart. The midfield was Jaime Peters, Carlo Schiavoni, Tyler Rosenlund and Marcel de Jong with Ryan Gyaki playing an attacking role behind striker Will Johnson.

Gyaki, co-captain along with Ledgerwood, provided the offence en route to the finals. The Sheffield United player scored all four goals at the qualifying tournament in Honduras in January.

Peters is another player worth watching. Just 18, the five-foot-seven 160-pounder has already won seven caps for the senior national team and is playing his club football at England's Ipswich Town.

Syria, which finished fourth in Asian qualifying, also has some youngsters playing above their years. Midfielder Aatef Jenyat saw regular action with the senior side in World Cup qualifying last year. Meaataz Kailouni scored against Kyrgyzstan in World Cup qualifying and several other under-20 players were on the fringes of the senior roster.

The senior sides for both countries are neighbours in the FIFA world rankings, with Canada at No. 83 and Syria at No. 85.

Argentina (with three wins) and Brazil (two) have won five of the last six championships. Spain took top honours in 1999.

Players to watch this year include 16-year-old American Freddy Adu, the youngest player in the tournament; 17-year-old Argentine Lionel Messi, who scored for FC Barcelona this season; and Swiss defender Philippe Senderos, who started for Arsenal in last month's FA Cup final.

Others of note include American Jonathan Spector (Manchester United), Spain's Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) and the Netherlands' Ryan Babel (Ajax Amsterdam).

Notes: Three members of the Canadian teams are veterans of the 2003 squad: Wagenaar, Ledgerwood and defender David Edgar. ... Five members of the Canadian team — Peters, Edgar, Johnson, forward Andrea Lombardo and goalkeeper Asmir Begovic — were born in 1987 and will be eligible to play in the 2007 tournament ... Forward Julian Uccello was the team's last cut as Mitchell reduced his roster to the 21-man tournament limit. Mitchell said Uccello had looked good in camp but had seen little game action because of commitments with his Italian club Savona. Mitchell said Uccello, while obviously disappointed, had taken the news with great class ... Former Canadian national team coach Holger Osieck, now FIFA's head of technical development, is heading up FIFA's technical study group at the tournament

quote:Originally posted by canso

"we are just about as technically proficient as we need to be"

Didn't Frank come out and blame the failed WCQ campaign on the fact that Canadian players do not posess the required technical skill level?

Sorry, I wondered if I should have inserted one of these ;) after that sentence, but I sort of assumed the content betrayed the irony. We are in no way technically profecient. We seem to be getting better, but we've got a long ways to go.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

By the way, the Syria review was extraordinary, great work.

Thanks Jeffrey and Mike, it really wasn't anything that someone with an hour and access to the FIFA world cup site, Football Asia and google couldn't have come up with.

And to be fair to Gerry Dobson, he should have researchers who come up with that sort of stuff. Though I do find it maddening when someone comes on a broadcast and says, "as for BLANK, we don't know a lot about them . . ."

Good link Free Kick.

cheers,

matthew

Does anyone speak Dutch? I think I found the local Tilburg paper (or at least for the region) http://www.brabantsdagblad.nl

I think it's subscriber only, but I'm not sure. My dutch is nul and babel fish isn't helping a lot. There appears to be a story about the upping of security in light of Syria coming, but nothing else WK voetbal tot 20 related, but that should change in the coming days.

cheers,

matthew

Interesting comment on Uccelo. It seems his club commitments worked against him which to be honest I can understand. We will only beat teams if we played better as a team as individually we will not be as good as Columbia and Italy. Therefore, unless Uccelo is heads and shoulders above the other players, it makes sense to go with players who have played more often together.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Interesting comment on Uccelo. It seems his club commitments worked against him which to be honest I can understand. We will only beat teams if we played better as a team as individually we will not be as good as Columbia and Italy. Therefore, unless Uccelo is heads and shoulders above the other players, it makes sense to go with players who have played more often together.

Truly it is very interesting. Speaking with Julian and him ask of my opinion and his Agent club commitments is one thing but a national commitment is another.

I have on many occasions in this forum indicated his club supported his absense for this occasion, as has Julian. He wanted to be part of this team in Holland (FIRST) as it will be his last chance to prove that he is the striker that Canada needs. However the circumstances as why he was not chosen is Misters decision. But as far is Julian concern there was no room for him in the striker role of this team and that's fine. Trying to put in a player in another position out of his role such as midfield is not wise, so the Mister did the right thing considering. But the wrong thing not having him there even to watch all 3 games or be used.

His commitment was in Honduras and the training prior to that as some of others did not show up at all. If you talk about club commitments when it counts.

Julian is a class act but was very disappointed, but a long rest now is a positive solution after having a great year. You take the good of something with the bad however there is no doubt in Julian's mind that considering the circumstances of this situation, his age, his last year being 1986 and not having another chance of attending a youth national team.

Good point Alberto, I don't recall Julian not being available for selection due to club committments, and unlike Hughes and DeGuz, there was no question of him preferring to play for another country.

Maybe the Mister was referring to the time he missed from training camp? Or maybe Julian doesn't get play well with others? He seems to have a strong personality, maybe he was unpopular in the dressing room and there was worries about team chemistry?

Whatever, I feel it was a mistake not to have him on the tournament roster, given what little I know about him. He's a big strong prescence upfront, a useful bludgeon (a Kusch if you will) for those times when a goal is needed.

Without going back to review every training camp that the U-20s have had in the last 6 to 9 monhts, I would say that on at least half those occassions Uccelo was not available due to club commitments. I am not criticising him for this at all but that I believe is a fact. Even during the last camp that has just wound up, he was committed to going back and playing 2 play off games for Savona. He has had very little time playing with the U-20s and I do not believe this has to do with non selection but with him not being available. Again, this is not a question of his lack of commitment to side but more to do with club conflicts.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Does anyone speak Dutch? I think I found the local Tilburg paper (or at least for the region) http://www.brabantsdagblad.nl

I think it's subscriber only, but I'm not sure. My dutch is nul and babel fish isn't helping a lot. There appears to be a story about the upping of security in light of Syria coming, but nothing else WK voetbal tot 20 related, but that should change in the coming days.

cheers,

matthew

Basically, there have been protests against Syria by Kurds living in the Netherlands (political, of course), and the team has received several threats. Security at their hotel has been increased, the players are aware of the situation, and if anything more serious comes up, they might be moved to a secret location. Police won't say specify the contents of the threat, and the organizing committee hadn't been aware of the changes in security. The Syrian team is staying in the town of Gilze-Rijen. Hope that helps.

The paper is subscriber-only, but a nice way around that is the BugMeNot extension for Firefox users. Right-click in the login box, click BugMeNot, and more times than not, a login and password will be provided.

Here's the article Gian-Luca mentioned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada's ready to get its kicks

`We're here to get some results:' coach Mitchell

Bracketed in same group as Syria, Italy, Colombia

JOHN MATHEWS

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

TILBURG, the Netherlands—Canada's young soccer stars will have a bit of history on their side, but a lot to live up to when the FIFA World Youth Championship kicks off in the Netherlands today.

Canadian under-20 coach Dale Mitchell led his team to the quarter-finals of the last tournament two years ago and he's still the man in charge as he looks to build on that success over the next month.

Canada plays Syria at the 15,000-seat Willem II Stadium in Tilburg in its opening match on Sunday.

After the borderline heroics of 2003, when Canada lost out to Spain in a heartbreaking golden-goal scenario, much will be expected of the Canucks here this time around, not least because Canada will itself be hosting the next youth championship in 2007.

"There's a lot of expectation around us now," said Mitchell. "We're certainly not here just to participate, lose three games and then go home. We're here to get some results, go as far as we can and try to build the program, not just for 2007, but for Canadian soccer in general.

"We don't have the professional soccer infrastructure to lean on as much as other countries do, but everybody in Canada is very positive and focused about 2007.

"It's great that so many people who are involved in that will be over to see what it's all about."

One of the things that will be immediately apparent to visiting officials is just how modestly their Dutch counterparts have pitched this event in terms of the size of the stadiums. Only one of the six venues has a capacity in excess of 20,000 (most are considerably less) and, when Utrecht stages the final on July 2, local organizers hope every one of the 25,000 seats will be filled.

That would be guaranteed if host Holland goes all the way, though many are unsurprisingly tipping Brazil to successfully defend its title, with Argentina and Spain among the other more fancied nations of the 24 taking part.

There will likely be no chance of a sellout at Edmonton's vast Commonwealth Stadium, one of the venues for 2007, but there will be if a 20,000-seat stadium is built in the GTA.

"The different ethnic backgrounds means quite a number of teams could get a lot of support in Toronto," Mitchell said, "and I'm sure there will be a lot of scrambling around once the qualification process has been completed to make sure we get the right teams in that city."

Over here, keeping 21 fit, young Canadians focused and free from distraction (and away from the frightening hardcore TV channels) has been one of Mitchell's priorities this week.

A trip to a nearby Canadian World War II memorial is planned, but come Sunday it will be a case of three tough matches in seven days, against Syria and Colombia in Tilburg, then mighty Italy in what will be the decisive group game in Kerkrade in the far south of the country on June 18.

Toronto-born striker Andrea Lombardo will have some mixed feelings in that match. He confesses to being a rock-solid Italy fan in the past and his parents Onofrio and Anna Maria will fly over from Toronto to watch him in action.

Lombardo is upbeat enough about Canada's prospects, but understandably no one in the squad is prepared to shoot his mouth off just yet and say Canada is going to go all the way.

The top two teams in each of the six groups advance, as well as the four best third-place finishers.

"We can definitely get past the group stage," said Lombardo. "Games after that are all single-round knockout so you know anything can happen in those matches."

Ryan Gyaki was the key figure in the qualifiers in Honduras earlier this year, scoring all of Canada's four goals from midfield, but he is just one of 11 Canadian players who ply their trade in the European leagues.

Defender David Edgar has spent the last three years with Newcastle United, but he's yet to break into the first team in the Premiership. All he has to show for his time in England so far is a bizarre accent, which manages to be both Canadian and Geordie (the local Newcastle dialect) at the same time, but he hopes everything could change for him in the Netherlands.

"This is massive," the 18-year-old said.

"All the big clubs in Europe will be watching these games and have scouts here, so it's a big showcase for your talents. If you have a good tournament, everything could spring from here," the Kitchener product added.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Over here, keeping 21 fit, young Canadians focused and free from distraction (and away from the frightening hardcore TV channels) has been one of Mitchell's priorities this week.

Now, I wonder what is so frightening about these hardcore TV channels? [:o)]

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by john tv

Reading the FIFA news it was revealed that 41 countries are showing all the games on T.V.I suppose that our Canadian boys will attract an audience that will be a record for total viewers in Canadian sporting history.

I see that here in Spain we are getting two matches live a day, reg signal, on Localia, a network of local tv stations.

So I would imagine that they will show the Brazil-Nigeria as the first game on Sunday, but wonder if they'll pick us up or the slightly more attractive Switzerland-Korea.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by john tv

Reading the FIFA news it was revealed that 41 countries are showing all the games on T.V.I suppose that our Canadian boys will attract an audience that will be a record for total viewers in Canadian sporting history.

I see that here in Spain we are getting two matches live a day, reg signal, on Localia, a network of local tv stations.

So I would imagine that they will show the Brazil-Nigeria as the first game on Sunday, but wonder if they'll pick us up or the slightly more attractive Switzerland-Korea.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Without going back to review every training camp that the U-20s have had in the last 6 to 9 monhts, I would say that on at least half those occassions Uccelo was not available due to club commitments. I am not criticising him for this at all but that I believe is a fact. Even during the last camp that has just wound up, he was committed to going back and playing 2 play off games for Savona. He has had very little time playing with the U-20s and I do not believe this has to do with non selection but with him not being available. Again, this is not a question of his lack of commitment to side but more to do with club conflicts.

Observer, that comment is not true. In fact Julian was excused from the USA camp as he was ready and willing to attend however your Mister indicated that he should go and rest, go to Canada after his game and that his services would better served in France after a good rest.

There is so much a club team can do, however I want to make this perfectly clear Savona Calcio was 100% supportive as they followed the mister request and gave him a 9 day stay in Canada to rest. to get ready for Holland. In fact he left from Italy the same day that your players arrived in the USA. So I don't know where your getting your information from. Besides I can name off 3 or 4 players who did not attend any camps since DEC and in fact others that have not even attended from what I was told and have seen on the WEB SITE.

Now if you tell me the Julian is very competitive player, he also not the easiest player to mingle with, so what, his job is to give 100% of everything he has and sometimes other players get pissed off because of his competitive in practice which he has shown it here his standards are set a very high level of intensity on the pitch. But off the field he is by the book friends with all.

Fun should come after a many of hard hours of practices or games. That is his rule of thumb, unfortunately other players what to have fun first and play later. These things dont excited him he would rather stay in his Apartment and read a book or watch tv..

So please Observer, if you don't mind these are the FACTS and nothing anyone can say to change it now. The damage is done. Hopefully it will be fun watching them from your point of view you and as mine as well.

The is an old saying here "practice hard every day in the week" and "you find yourself playing the game with fun and ease". Games are fun not practice.

Calgary's Gyaki looks to keep scoring for Canada at under-20 championship

By NEIL DAVIDSON

(CP)

R061038AU.jpg

Canada's soccer player Ryan Gyaki, right, stretches during a training session for the under-20 soccer qualifier for the World Youth Championship at the Olimpico Stadium in San Pedro Sula, Jan. 27. (CP PHOTO ARCHIVE/ AP/ Ginnette Riquelme)

Calgary's Ryan Gyaki scored all four of Canada's goals in qualifying for the World Youth Championship. On the eve of Sunday's opener against Syria (TV, check local listings), the attacking midfielder from Sheffield United says he's got more goals in him.

Canada's success at the CONCACAF qualifying tournament in January in Honduras turned out to be a tonic for the 19-year-old whose season had been disrupted by injuries at Sheffield United.

He went back to his club and kept scoring.

"It went actually really, really good," Gyaki said Friday from Tilburg, Netherlands. "It was amazing.

"I ended up getting a starting spot for the reserves, started playing week in and week out and ended up scoring three goals in three games. They were all very good volleys, all 18 yards out and whatnot. After that, they were pretty happy with me. ... They offered me a new two-year deal."

That's no small accomplishment. The competition for contracts is fierce and many players fall by the wayside as they grow older.

His future at the English League Championship club secure, Gyaki was able to turn his attentions to Canada.

Gyaki, along with defender Nikolas Ledgerwood, is co-captain of the Canadian under-20 team. At the Dutch tournament, he is expected to return to his position as attacking midfielder just behind striker Will Johnson.

It worked well in qualifying with four goals in games against Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica.

The task will be harder in the Netherlands against the likes of Syria, South American champion Colombia and Italy in Group E.

Gyaki is not awed by the competition, however.

"Me myself I've always enjoyed the bigger games, I've always enjoyed playing in front of a crowd. You don't get to this level if that's not what you want to be doing. So I think most of the guys are looking forward to it. You're more exited about it than nervous. At the end of the day it's just another game."

Can he continue to score for Canada?

"Obviously I'd hope so. I'd like to think I would. I definitely have goals in me. When I went back to Sheffield, I was still able to keep producing the same level.

"It's just a matter of how the games go, really. And if I don't score and we do well, I'm just as happy."

In opening day action Friday, Australia tied Benin 1-1 and the host Dutch downed Japan 2-1.

Gyaki says he expects the Syrians to be a good side, given the fact they got to the tournament.

"I respect them but I wouldn't fear them. I think we can do very well against them."

"Colombia should be a tough game," he continued. "I look forward to it."

He says he's more relaxed about Italy. Gyaki says he has a handle on the Italians since some of his teammates play for the English team and know them.

"It just comes down to tactics and who wants it more on the day," he said.

Gyaki is the picture of cool as Canada's opener approaches.

"Obviously I'm looking forward to it, but I don't really think those teams are that much better than us. I don't go into those games thinking 'Oh wow, we're playing Colombia.'

"I'm not really bothered who we're playing. I think we'll beat them."

Gyaki has just finished his third season in Sheffield and says life is good there.

"I love everything about it. I like where I live in the city. I like the city. Obviously I've been there for three years now so I like the lads."

He's also met people outside of football, widening his experiences.

He got home for Christmas and returned to Calgary for a stopover before heading to Europe with the Canadian team.

"Obviously you'd like a little bit more time home but I enjoy my football so I'm always happy to be leaving again."

Gyaki's parents have flown in from Calgary, as well as his grandparents from Austria. He also expects family friends from England and some of the coaching staff from Sheffield United will be on hand.

"I think there should be quite a few people that I know in the stands."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/06/10/1081477.html

Guest Jeffery S.

So has anyone tried to calculate what we might face if we come second or even third? The picture is not pretty. Just getting to the round of 16 will be an accomplishment, getting past it will be a miracle. I can't see any rival such as Burkina Faso in the cards at that stage.

Archived