WYC News Thread (R)

Reza

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some fun stats, and averages to compare teams on a 4 - 4 - 2 these are based on all players registered in this group.

1 Tallest Goalkeeper Canada Begovic Asmir 198 cm @ 83 kg.

4 Tallest defender Syria Shahrour Salah 198 cm @ 75 kg.

defender Italy Marzoratti Lino 193 cm @ 80 kg.

defender Italy Coda Andrea 188 cm @ 81 kg.

defender Columbia Zapata Cristian 188 cm @ 84 kg.

4 Tallest Midfielder Italy Troiano Michele 188 cm @ 82 kg.

Midfielder Columbia Morales Jarrision 186 cm @ 86 kg.

Midfielder Columbia Aguilar Abel 186 cm @ 82 kg.

Midfielder Columbia Abella Carlos 186 cm @ 83 kg.

2 Tallest Striker Italy Pelle Graziano 193 cm @ 89 kg.

Canada O'neill Reily 190 cm @ 84 kg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Smallest defender Canada Vince Stewart 170 cm @ 70 kg.

defender Columbia Zuniga Juan 170 cm @ 69 kg.

defender Columbia Casierra Maurice 171 cm @ 81 kg.

defender Syria Khalaf Abdul 175 cm @ 67 kg.

Smallest Midfielder Syria Ossi Mahmoud 160 cm @ 54 kg.

Midfielder Canada Peters Jamie 170 cm @ 69 kg.

Midfielder Columbia Machacon Daniel 172 cm @ 64 kg.

Midfielder Italy Agnelli Cristian 172 cm @ 70 kg.

Smallest Strikers Syria Al Hamwi Mohammad 170 cm @ 64 kg.

Canada Franco Lalli 170 cm @ 65 kg.

Smallest Goalkeeper Columbia Ospina David 183 cm @ 76 kg.

---------------------------------------------------------------

the average of the tallest team Italy 183 cm

Columbia 181 cm

Canada 179 cm

Syria 179 cm

differnce from first to last 4 cm or 1.5 inches taller

------------------------------------------------------------------

The average in weight Italy 78 kg

Columbia 75 kg

Canada 73 kg

Syria 73 kg

differnce from first to last 5 kg or 11 pounds.

Posted - 06/10/2005 : 10:34:11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A nice preview article in the Toronto Star today with a photo of Ryan Gyaki, and some quotes from Edgar & Lombardo. Good to see the local media starting to cover this tourney. "

The Vancouver Sun had a good article on the team and picture of Stewart the other day, talking about Mitchell and the BC players and the upcoming tournament, Rosenlund especially. Mitchell also speaks of Stewart having an injury that he has come into the camp with.

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Canada Kicks Off Championship Tomorrow Against Syria

Tilburg, Netherlands – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U20) Team begin competition on Sunday in group E of the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 against Syria in Tilburg, Netherlands at 8:30 p.m. (local) / 2:30 p.m. ET / 11:30 a.m. PT.

The match will be broadcast live on Rogers Sportsnet West and Pacific for viewers with access to all four Sportsnet channels. See below for the tape delayed broadcast schedule.

The remaining two Canadian games of the preliminary round will be broadcast live nationally on Sportsnet.

For Canadians not able to view the match live, FIFA.com will provide a live ScoreCard of all the matches played at the tournament.

Beaulieu-Bourgault Called In

Following an unfortunate ankle injury suffered at last evening’s training session by Matthew Britner; Head Coach Dale Mitchell has called in Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault of Ile Bizard, QC to fill his 21-player roster. Bourgault will join the team in Tilburg early Sunday morning.

FIFA allow teams to substitute injured players up to 24 hours prior to their first match of the competition.

Bourgault has represented Canada ten times at the Junior (U17) level, including all three games in last month’s CONCACAF U17 Qualifying tournament held in Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico. Bourgault scored one goal in Canada’s 5-0 rout over Haiti on May 19th.

After Sunday

After playing Syria, Canada will play Colombia on June 15th. Canada’s final match in the group stage is against Italy in Kerkrade, Holland on June 18th.

Second stage (Round of sixteen) play will begin on June 21st; the FIFA World Youth Championship 2005 final will take place on July 2nd in Utrecht, Holland.

Rogers Sportsnet

Canada vs Syria will be available on a tape delayed basis as follows:

Sportsnet East - Sunday, June 12 @ 12:00 a.m. (ET)

Sportsnet Ontario - Sunday, June 12 @ 12:00 a.m. (ET)

Sportsnet West - Sunday, June 12 @ 11:00 p.m. (MT)

Sportsnet Pacific - Sunday, June 12 @ 12:00 a.m. (PT)

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2225

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Canada Kicks Off Championship Tomorrow Against Syria

Tilburg, Netherlands – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U20) Team begin competition on Sunday in group E of the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 against Syria in Tilburg, Netherlands at 8:30 p.m. (local) / 2:30 p.m. ET / 11:30 a.m. PT.

The match will be broadcast live on Rogers Sportsnet West and Pacific for viewers with access to all four Sportsnet channels. See below for the tape delayed broadcast schedule.

The remaining two Canadian games of the preliminary round will be broadcast live nationally on Sportsnet.

For Canadians not able to view the match live, FIFA.com will provide a live ScoreCard of all the matches played at the tournament.

Beaulieu-Bourgault Called In

Following an unfortunate ankle injury suffered at last evening’s training session by Matthew Britner; Head Coach Dale Mitchell has called in Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault of Ile Bizard, QC to fill his 21-player roster. Bourgault will join the team in Tilburg early Sunday morning.

FIFA allow teams to substitute injured players up to 24 hours prior to their first match of the competition.

Bourgault has represented Canada ten times at the Junior (U17) level, including all three games in last month’s CONCACAF U17 Qualifying tournament held in Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico. Bourgault scored one goal in Canada’s 5-0 rout over Haiti on May 19th.

After Sunday

After playing Syria, Canada will play Colombia on June 15th. Canada’s final match in the group stage is against Italy in Kerkrade, Holland on June 18th.

Second stage (Round of sixteen) play will begin on June 21st; the FIFA World Youth Championship 2005 final will take place on July 2nd in Utrecht, Holland.

Rogers Sportsnet

Canada vs Syria will be available on a tape delayed basis as follows:

Sportsnet East - Sunday, June 12 @ 12:00 a.m. (ET)

Sportsnet Ontario - Sunday, June 12 @ 12:00 a.m. (ET)

Sportsnet West - Sunday, June 12 @ 11:00 p.m. (MT)

Sportsnet Pacific - Sunday, June 12 @ 12:00 a.m. (PT)

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2225

hey just a quick question about the game tomorrow... the game will be played live on Sportsnet West and Pacific correct? So that is at 2.30pm? I checked my box for tomorrows scheldule and it says Autoracing during those time slots.. but on the sportsnet website it says the game will be play at that time... just a little confused

Sportsnet WYC Primer

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/soccer/worldyouth/index.html

Team Canada head coach Dale Mitchell spoke with Sportsnet.ca and gave his analysis on each team in their grouping.

canada_flag240_140.jpg

Quick facts:

-- Seventh appearance after 1979, 1985, 1987, 1997, 2001 and 2003

-- Best run came at UAE 2003 when they reached the quarter-finals

-- Will host the 2007 edition of the competition

Overview: Coming off an eye-opening quarter-final appearance in the World Youth Championship back in 2003, Canada enters the 2005 tournament with great expectations. Winners of all three qualifying games in Honduras (Mexico, Jamaica and Honduras), Canada faces a true international group in the Netherlands alongside Italy, Colombia and Syria. Canada is full of pace in the midfield as Ryan Gyaki, Jamie Peters and Marcel De Jong will give opposing defenders no time to rest.

Coach Dale Mitchell's take: The team is made up of good, hard-working kids. We have a lot of individual talent capable of producing opportunities, and we're quick and we will battle. The group consists of three teams from three different continents, so we will see a variety of attacks. Most of our preparation revolved around our opening opponent from Syria, who we cannot underestimate, for the next two games will be against traditionally strong teams.

colombia_flag240_140.jpg

Quick facts:

-- Netherlands 2005 will be Colombia’s sixth appearance at the World Youth Championships. Previously they played in USSR 1985, Chile 1987, Saudi Arabia 1989, Australia 1993 and UAE 2003

-- At UAE 2003, after a 10-year absense from the tourney, they beat Argentina (2-1) to finish third

-- Hugo Rodallega scored the most goals ever in a South American tournament with 11 goals in '05

Overview: Colombia scored an amazing 20 goals in nine games to qualify for the youth championships as the top South American team. A formidable accomplishment, considering the locale also includes the likes of Brazil, Argentina and Chile. The goal outburst was led by striker Hugo Rodallega, who tallied 11 of the 20, including four in a game where he missed the first half due to discipline problems.

Coach Dale Mitchell's take: Outstanding team. The squad easily won the South American qualifying behind the play of their explosive striker, Rodallega, who will end up in Europe soon. South American teams always present a tough challenge, very fast.

italy_flag240_140.jpg

Quick facts:

-- Italy are only participating in their fourth FIFA World Youth Championships since 1977

-- Their record from their three appearances (1977, 1981 and 1987) is modest: five defeats, three draws and two wins

-- Italy’s best ever performance came in 1987, when they reached the quarter-finals only to go down 1-0 to hosts Chile

Overview: Despite clinching third in qualifying, the Italians can never be underestimated. Per usual, the Azzurri are anchored by a pair of defensive field marshals -- Devis Nossa and Paolo Herman Dellafiore. The majority of the starting 11 play domestically in the Serie B, so experience is not an issue. Defence aside, Andrea Alberti of Brescia, one of three Serie A players, is ruthless in finding the net, and proved his big time status by nabbing an equaliser versus the Czech Republic which ensured Italy would play in the Netherlands.

Coach Dale Mitchell's take: Our side has seen very little of Italy's team, but what we do know is how well they are organized. They show you what you should expect from an Italian team, defensively organized, tough to break down and teams must keep their shape to succeed.

syria_flag240_140.jpg

Quick facts:

-- Syria qualified for the FIFA World Youth Championship Saudi Arabia 1989 and Qatar in 1995. Both resulted in early exits after the group stages

-- The Middle-Eastern side reached the quarter-finals of Portugal 1991 after an unbeaten run through their group

Overview: Syria, 13 years after an appearance in the final 16 of FIFA World Youth Championship Portugal 1991, are back thanks to grabbing one of the tough Asia spots for Netherlands 2005 by finishing second in the group. Syria beat Iraq in the subsequent knockout phase to secure a spot, but lost their next two games (semi-finals, consolation) against China and Japan. Majed Al Haj is the undeniable threat on the team, scoring the crucial goal versus Iraq and draws defensive attention everytime he eneters the box.

Coach Dale Mitchell's take: Syria are individually good. Not so tight as a unit, but the individual talent and athleticism make up for the rest. They have two strikers (14, 9) who play a lot together and will score if each is not closely marked.

I probably shouldn’t bother writing this, since clearly there are others who post here who know 10 times what I can gather on line about the Italian U20s, but what the heck. I offer the same caveat as before, this is based on what I’ve read and not at all on what I’ve seen . . .

While the Italians aren’t as good as they could be, that doesn’t mean they aren’t pretty darn good. There seems to be a lot of quality from front to back and with their practice of using only 1985s (they picked up three 86s to bolster the team) they’re going to be a veteran team. Plus while their preparation isn’t ideal, I would think these 85s are pretty familiar with each other over the years as they’ve developed through the ranks.

They played home-and-away against Germany, Switzerland and Austria after qualifying to help prepare. They lost 2-0 and 3-1 to the Swiss, drew 0-0 and lost 1-0 to Germany and beat Austria 2-0 and drew 1-1. They also lost 3-1 to the Maltese U21s and beat Russia’s U20s 2-0 in friendlies in 05.

Viviano (1) of AC Cesena became the first choice keeper in prep matches with Roma starter Curci on U21 duty. Viviano started in Serie B with Cesena and is on the books with Brescia I believe. Virgili (12) is Parma’s reserve keeper for their Primavera team and is one of the 86s. I think they added the 86s for a reason and I wonder if Vrigili won’t start ahead of Viviano.

Centre of defence should be their strength, though I have no idea who will start. Canini (6) of SS Sambenedettese of the Serie C Girone B has been the U20 captain despite not playing at a particularly high level. He’d been paired with Coda (5) who is starter with Empoli in Serie B. Coda is one of the most highly touted Italians in the team. However, the FIGC also added AC Milan’s Lino Marzoratti (2). Another of the 86s, Marzoratti is supposed to be very, very good and made his Serie A debut against Palermo on the last day of the season. Milan was up 3-1 when he left, but settled for a 3-3 draw.

No idea if one of these guys can move outside or if they’d play three in the back or something . . . anyway they had been using Battaglia (13) of Torino’s Serie B primavera team. He too had played in the centre of defence at times. D’Agostino (3) played eight times this year with Foggia’s Serie C Girone B side, but is Chievo property I believe.

The backline has talent, but I would think they’re going to miss Marco Zambelli (Brescia) and Marco Motta (Atalanta).

The midfield will miss Riccardo Montolivio (Atalanta) badly as well I would think. He had 32 appearances, 23 starts and three goals in the Serie A this year.

Bentivoglio (16) of Juventus and Nocerino (4) of Serie B cellar dwellars US Catanzaro are tipped by coach Berrettini to be key men along with Canini and Coda. Bentivoglio didn’t get into a game for Juve this year, but did have a squad number (40).

Nocerino wore 85 this year for Catanzaro (the year he was born I guess). It looks like he played quite a bit, but I haven’t been able to dig up numbers.

Berrettini also said Carotti (8) and Galloppa (11) and forward Pellè (9) could be ‘the surprise of the tournament’. Which leads me to think that Galloppa and Carotti are likely starters. Galloppa had figured a lot in the four nations and played 24 times this year for Tristina in Serie B. I believe he is Roma property, while Carotti is Parma’s and spent the year with Calcio Como who are being relegated from Serie C1 Girone A.

Now that would appear to leave Raffaele De Martino (17) on the bench, but I can’t see it. The other 86, he played for AC Bellinzona in Switzerland this year and is rumoured to be being chased by Arsenal and Liverpool amongst others. He played five times for Roma this fall and made two Champions League appearances in addition, playing 96 mins off the bench.

Agnelli (18) of Serie B Catanzaro has figured some in preparations, but it seems tough to see where he’d fit into the midfield.

Forwards Alberti (Cesena) and Sorrentino (Parma) are not on the team leaving very few forwards with recent U20 experience left.

Troiano (10) of Modena (Serie B) is listed as a Centrocampisti, but I think he was up front in some friendlies. Anyway he and Cozzolino (20) of Serie A’s Lecce started up front against Germany recently. Cozzolino is listed as a mid with Lecce so who knows. He made no appearances in any event, but scored seven goals in two Serie C1 campaigns with Giulianova.

While Pellè (9) — who played for Catania in Serie B — is also Lecce property I do believe. Forward Nieto (19) appeared twice in Serie B with Piacenza and scored in the 2-0 win over Russia.

And not to be a smart ass, but I just read the Sportsnet preview and I can't wait to see Nossa and Dellafiore to anchor the D and Alberti in the attack. Unless I'm missing something, none of those players are on the Italian roster.

————————————————————————————————————

Colombia are the CONMEBOL U20 champions after winning seven matches and tying Argentina 1-1 twice on home soil. In their wins they beat Bolivia, Peru, Venezuela, Chile, Uruguay, Brazil and Venezuala by a combined score of 18-4.

They have three holdovers from the UAE U20 team that lost out in the semifinals and seven from the last U17s in Finland where they also lost in the semis.

Colombia’s forwards corps is deep and very strong. The good news is that Deportes Tolima striker Oscar Briceño, a UAE veteran, is not in the final lineup.

The bad news is that Quindío’s Hugo Rodallega (7) and Boyacá Chicó’s Wason Rentería (18) are tied for ninth in Colombian Apertura scoring with seven goals each. Dario Moerno (15) of Copa Libertadoes champions Once Caldas has six goals this season.

Rodallega actually scored 11 times in 2004 for Quindío. He was left out of the team because of discipline problems, but came off the bench to net a hat trick in the first game and scored 11 goals in qualifying. The other forward is Radamel Falcao García (9) who has made three appearance for Argentina’s River Plate this season.

Desportivo Cali’s Abel Aguilar (14) is the team captain in the midfield. He’s a UAE veteran.

Midfielders José Harrison Otálvaro (11) from América, Cristian Camilo Marrugo (17) of Atlético Nacional, Juan Carlos Toja (8) of Independiente Santa Fe and Daniel Alberto Machacón (20) Atlético Junior all started for their clubs in the last month.

Yet another midfielder Fredy Alejandro Guarín (13) of Argentina’s Boca Juniors played in UAE at 17.

Then there’s all of the veterans from their semifinal run at the Under-17s in Finland. Keepers Libis Arenas (1) and Carlos Abella (12) were both there — Arenas started — along with defenders Christian Zapata (3), Jimy Estacio (4) and Harrison Morales (6). Sebastián Hernández (10), Guarín and Otálvaro were all mids with the U17s as well.

The defence is bolstered by Juan Zúñiga (5) who has scored twice this year in the Apertura with Atlético Nacional and the outside back is Mauricio Casierra (19) who was in the squad for Once Caldas’ Libertadores run.

That U17 team beat the host Finns 9-1 in a game the Finns needed to win to advance to the quarter-finals. They beat the Ticos 2-0, but lost to the eventual champions Brazil 2-0 in the semis.

Colombia played French side St. Dennis and beat them 4-2 Monday. Wason Renteria scored twice and García and Aguillar also scored.

This is apparently the probable lineup against Italy Sunday:

.................................................1. Arenas

.............5. Zúñiga...............3. Zapata...2. Valdez...........19. Casierra

14. Aguilar ©............16. Valencia.................8. Toja.................17. Marrugo

...................................18. Rentería.........7. Rodallega

If that is the lineup I’m surprised Otálvaro or Guarín aren’t starting, but that’s based on nothing more than what I’ve read. Plus they appear to have a lot of good mids.

How's that for a ridiculous 1,000h post.

I'm happy we have a Euro ref. I'm happy it's staying cold in the Netherlands and I'm glad we're playing the second game (the Panamanians were wearing gloves today). I'm sad Brittner got hurt again, but I'm happy Mitchell called in one of the U17s to give him some experience.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

The referees for Canada - Syria:

SYR - CAN

Referee

LARSEN Claus Bo (DEN)

Assistant Referee 1

HANSEN Bill (DEN)

Assistant Referee 2

NORRESTRAND Anders (DEN)

Fourth Official

BRAAMHAAR Eric (NED)

At least we didn't get the incompetent Archundia again. Too bad there are no Canadian officials. I wonder why. We have some really good people.

Seems Syria has changed their coach on the eve of the tournament....that should be good news for us

FIFA World Youth Championship

Radenovic returns to lead Syria Miloslav Radenovic (right) talks tactics with Syrian star player Majed al Haj.

FIFA.com

(FIFA.com) 11 Jun 2005

Syria have strengthened their management team for the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 with the return of veteran Serbian coach Miloslav Radenovic on the eve of the tournament.

The 61-year-old is no stranger to Syrian football, having been in charge of the national U-20 team for three years before and Radenovic has been brought back in to work as head coach, alongside former team boss Kifork Mardakyan at Netherlands 2005.

Mardakyan, who led Syria U-20 during the successful qualifying campaign, is staying with the squad in the role of first coach, with Mahmoud Fahoud returning as an assistant to his mentor Radenovic. .

Radenovic insists his arrival so close to the championship will not upset his players' preparations as they knew he would be coming and his new job is more of an administration shuffle rather than a late appointment.

"Seven of these boys worked with me before when I was looking after the Syrian U-16 team, so they know who I am very well," Radenovic told FIFA.com. "Kifork will also work happily with me and the rest of the coaching staff, so there is no problem there at all.

"We needed to make a change to the staff list that was submitted to FIFA, because when the original document was submitted several months ago my name was not on it. That is simply because my new contract had not been agreed back then."

Radenovic, who last worked with the Syrian Football Association in 2003, added: "I love Syria as a country and I get along with everyone very well. Syrian people are very much like my people in Serbia."

The head coach wasted no time in showing his players just who is in charge when he led the team in a lively and vocal training session at the Willem II Stadium in Tilburg on Saturday evening ahead of Syria's first FIFA World Youth Championship match against Canada in Group E on Sunday.

Syrian Football Association General Secretary Toufik Sarhan said: "We are pleased to have Miloslav back with us and I am sure everybody in the squad is pleased to have him working with the team again. We have supplied FIFA with a new list of all the coaching staff so we can clarify who will be issuing the team's instructions from the technical area."

Guest Jeffery S.

Once again, Matthew, you have outdone yourself.

Just want to comment concerning Colombia that the most touted player in the press here these days is the one nicknamed "Falcao", Garcia is the last name, who plays for River.

Interesting what Dale had to say about Syria, that as a block they were not as tight. This means that if we can pressure in the middle and not let their dangerous strikers see the ball we'll have chances to counter well and get the win.

What is everyone's theory on these kinds of rounds? Would you rather see all the rivals draw to keep things close all the way through, or is it better to have one beat all the others so you have a better chance at the second or third spot?

IE, is it to better to face Colombia on Wednesday with them tied for points with us at 3, or with them with a point from a draw?

Is it better to face Italy with them desperate for points or already qualified?

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

At least we didn't get the incompetent Archundia again.

Ugh. I noticed he was reffing the USA - England friendly a couple of weeks ago. I had to do a web search to remember his name - and in the process re-read a couple of articles about the Honduras match and got depressed all over again. Particularly depressed for De Vos, based on some of his comments. :(

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Interesting what Dale had to say about Syria, that as a block they were not as tight. This means that if we can pressure in the middle and not let their dangerous strikers see the ball we'll have chances to counter well and get the win.

Exactly. If you can starve them for the ball they'll migrate towards play and away from possition. The further their strikers are from the attacking third the happier I'll be. Easier said then done of course, but if there's a plan then there's a program and it seems Mitchell's pretty good a coaching a program.

And play them rough. Don't be a-feard of a foul or a card. Starve them and get up their nose. See if they can't get flusterd.

As many points as possible, as quickly as possible. Three in the bag and the brass ring will be in sight even if you lose one. With Italy following Columbia I don't think the lads will let up next match should they take the goods from Syria. Not given our great Canadian competitive spirit! That's one blessing we carry into other sports from our hockey culture.

No score yet in Italy-Columbia.No one seems to be the better team,however they show lots of great skills,great composure and obvious great coaching.It is not sold out,I guess 9000 2 yellow cards against the Azzuri.Both silly calls by the USA referee.Last 12 minutes of the first half Col. was the stronger team and got close to scoring on a cross that was deflected by the It.defender about 5 inches past the post.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

2 yellow cards against the Azzuri.Both silly calls by the USA referee.

Thanks for the update. I heard one was for kicking the ball away. There's no grey area there for this tournament, you touch the ball while the other team has possession (ie a free kick is won) and you get booked. I trust we've discussed this rule change at length in training.

I don't mind seeing everyone else run up the cards though.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

Saw the second half of Colombia 2-Italy 0 last night on tape delay. The winner is a tough side, physically very strong with a very mature playing style, all these guys look like real pros. Very impressive all round, but especially good in the middle of the defense with Aguila and Zapata, and up front, with Rodallega, who was subbed by a very tricky Moreno. Renteria is also dangerous, and Guarín's goal (the second) was a real cracker. Another good sub in was Toja. Can't let these guys get clear shots, even from a distance. And will have to hold position defending -even man to man- off the ball and not lose it as someone comes in dribbling and lays off a neat pass to a man left open.

Colombia passes quite well, controls the ball with a build that is not that slow (traditionally their build is very slow), and tends to look for their chances up the middle. so we could play three in the middle at the back and let our mids come back to defend the wings, a possibility, as they don't use them that often. Their dribbling is strong, and we are going to have to learn to defend by holding position and taking away the pass, as we'll have trouble tackling them off the ball effectively. If we commit early to the tackle they'll go around us and have the man advantage. The team is quite tall and very athletic.

The only thing that I thought might be a small advantage for us is that the keeper Arenas, with good reflexes, is a bit unsure on the high balls. I think we should seriously think about looking to send our tallest men in for the header even on long free kicks, and even early on in the match, as it may be one of our only options. The ball should pressure the keeper a bit on corners and free kicks, as he may just bobble it or seek to punch away. Meanwhile, his central defenders are more reliable in the air and don't waste time clearing strongly.

A real tough team, I am sure they'll be a favourite.

As for Italy, pretty mediocre I thought. They have all the classic virtues and flaws of the cliché Italian style, solid enough at the back but real trouble to develop a linked attack. Their passing in the last third was quite poor. They had one real chance, in fact in the last minutes, which they could have scored on; but nothing more. They also looked young, even a bit immature, so that even with their Serie B experience, etc. I would not fear them as much as Colombia. If they are forced to come forward vs. us for points on the last day we may be able to open up their defense. Especially if we use our wingers effectively and don't let them clog up at the back.

Our better chance for points from the last two games. I think, frankly, that we are going to have to beat them to go through.

from BBC site:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Young stars inspire Colombia and Chile

By Tim Vickery

Between them Argentina and Brazil have won five of the last six World Youth Cups.

Fredy Guarin (on knees) is part of Colombia's promising youth team

But they made a poor start to the tournament currently being held in Holland.

Neither even managed a goal; Brazil were held to a scoreless draw by Nigeria, while Argentina went down 1-0 to the United States.

Meanwhile, the honours went to the two other South American sides.

Colombia were comfortable 2-0 winners against Italy, and Chile filled their boots with a 7-0 thrashing of Honduras.

These results will come as a surprise to most. But they are perfectly in line with what happened in South America's qualifying tournament in Colombia earlier this year.

Even allowing for home advantage, the hosts were the best team on show, confirming the impression that Colombia have found a generation capable of going on to great things.

Midfield general Aguilar, right back Zuniga and strikers Rodallega and Renteria all looked like class acts.

The strength of the Chile side was its midfield, full of players with ability on the ball. Fernandez and Fuenzalida were particularly impressive.

Both were on target on Saturday against Honduras.

Chile endured some anxious moments before making sure of the last qualification slot, but were it not for a tendency to give away silly goals they would have sealed their place in comfort.

In the decisive stage of the qualifying tournament, Colombia and Chile found goals easier to come by than their illustrious rivals.

In five games they scored 11 and 10 respectively, while Brazil managed eight and Argentina a mere five.

On this weekend's evidence the big two have yet to resolve the problem.

Argentina have axed all the strikers who featured in qualification. Their replacements have yet to do any better, though the introduction of the highly promising 17 year old Aguero might bring about an improvement.

Argentina and Brazil still have ample opportunity to work out their problems

The strikers' task would be eased if Argentina's midfield could occasionally pass the ball over long range.

Even with their flaws, Argentina are well worth watching for the glorious skills of Barcelona's Messi, the outstanding goalkeeping of Ustari and for the commanding centre back Garay, whose absense through suspension was a key factor against the USA.

Brazil seem to have their most ordinary Under-20 team for some time.

They are big, strong and not easily beaten, but there is a worrying lack of midfield creativity about them.

Perhaps the most depressing aspect of contemporary Brazilian football is the lack of central midfielders capable of dictating the rhythm of the game, in the way that, for example, Falcão and Toninho Cerezo did in the 1982 World Cup team.

Nevertheless, they seem to have found another gem in right back Rafinha. Plenty of scouts will be having a close look at talented but temperamental striker Diego Tardelli.

His strike partner Rafael Sobis is a bright player who is unlikely to have another game as poor as the one he played against Nigeria.

So, Colombia and Chile would seem to offer South America its best chance of winning another title - but rule one of tournaments is that it is a mistake to place too much importance on the opening matches.

In the World Youth Cup 16 of the 24 teams make it through to the knock out stage. It means that one victory from the three group games is usually enough to ensure qualification.

Argentina and Brazil have ample opportunity to work out their problems, grow through the tournament and peak at the right time.

In one crucial aspect they hold the advantage over the likes of Colombia and Chile.

The triumphs of the past have left a legacy of a winning mentality, which means that when it matters most results can be dug out and titles won even when events seem to be going against them.

From FIFA.com:

"Jaime Spence, who scored Canada's goal against Syria, expects to be fit, despite limping back onto the team bus after the game with a minor leg injury."

Glad it wasn't Jamie Peeters who got injured!

Yeah, him too.

More from FIFA.com today about Mathew Britner and David Edgar.

(FIFA.com) 14 Jun 2005

The FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 is a tough place to be if you are desperate to play, but aren't getting any action in the team… especially if you are hobbling around on crutches.

Spare a thought then for Canada defender Matthew Britner, who had the heartbreak of being ruled out for the tournament before a ball was kicked in anger in Group E.

Britner suffered an ankle injury in an innocuous training ground incident that rules him out of action from four to six weeks, so Canada drafted in Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault as a last-minute squad replacement.

Bourgault has represented Canada 10 times at U-17 level and scored one of the goals in Canada's 5-0 defeat of Haiti last month.

A philosophical Britner told FIFA.com: "At this age, it doesn't get any bigger than the FIFA World Youth Championship, so of course it's disappointing. I was running with no-one near me and I just went over on my right ankle really badly and damaged some ligaments. It's tough, but these things happen in football, so I'll just have to rest up and watch the guys."

His smiling face around the team hotel belies the inner turmoil he must be feeling and, encouraged by coach Dale Mitchell, the Halifax-born 20-year-old has made up his mind to stay with the team to lend them his moral support. He is yet to make firm decisions about his long-term future in the game, however.

Britner, who plays his soccer for Brown University in the United States, has not yet chosen whether he wants to follow the path to professionalism and he said: "I'm not really sure what direction I want to be heading right now, but I definitely want to take soccer just about as far as I can. I'll just have to see what happens."

David Edgar has struggled to make an impact at Newcastle United.

(FIFA.com)

Edgar sets sights on success

One Canadian with a very fixed vision of his destiny is Newcastle United's David Edgar, who came to the FIFA World Youth Championship hoping to turn in the sort of performances that could kick-start his career.

Edgar has spent the past three years at Newcastle, but is yet to get a sniff of first-team action… though he has picked up a highly unusual accent, which is both Canadian and Geordie (the local Newcastle dialect) at the same time.

He is listed as a defender, but a commanding display in an advanced role against Syria earned Edgar rave reviews and he hopes the tournament will help in his quest for greater opportunities.

"This is massive," the 18-year-old said. "All the big clubs in Europe will be watching these games and have scouts there, so it's a big showcase for your talents. If you have a good tournament, everything could spring from here.

"We don't want everyone going out and playing for themselves and not concentrating on the team though. You can lose games that way."

Edgar looked every inch the team player against Syria and went close three times without scoring, but his ultimate goals are now coming into focus with Canada U-20.

quote:Originally posted by canso

David Edgar has struggled to make an impact at Newcastle United.

(FIFA.com)

Edgar sets sights on success

One Canadian with a very fixed vision of his destiny is Newcastle United's David Edgar, who came to the FIFA World Youth Championship hoping to turn in the sort of performances that could kick-start his career.

I don't get the title... he's struggled to make an impact at Newcastle United? For an 18 year old to playing in the reserve matches... I think that's pretty good. I can see him making an impact after this tournament is done... but FIFA makes it seem like he's a 24 year old who has done nothing at the club, "Struggling to make an impact"... seems kinda harsh.

Wagenaar puts goal behind him

By LORI EWING

(CP) - The Canadians will face their toughest foe yet when they battle South American soccer power Colombia at the World Youth Championship on Wednesday.

Josh Wagenaar can't wait. For the Canadian 'keeper, whose unfortunate miskick led to a goal for Syria in a 1-1 tie in the team's opening game of the under-20 world tournament Sunday, it's a chance to move forward.

"I feel really good," Wagenaar said in a phone interview Tuesday from Tilburg in the Netherlands.

"I really want to get back on the field and play again. Obviously when something like that happens, the only way to get back is to keep playing and have confidence all the time and not worry about it anymore."

The Colombians showed they're the class of Group E with a 2-0 victory over Italy in their opening game Sunday, and Canadian coach Dale Mitchell is well aware of what's in store for his team against the South American champions.

"Obviously any team that can come out of South America as No. 1, when you have Brazil and Argentina in your confederation, they're a very good side," Mitchell said, before heading out for a practice session.

"They're a team that can play slow and keep the ball if they want. They also have a lot of pace up front and can change it, and get a lot of people into the attack, a lot of people around the ball.

"They're a very impressive and complete team, that we will have to be outstanding really to get a result against."

Colombia won the bronze medal at the world youth tournament two years ago in the United Arab Emirates, and are once again a huge medal threat, arriving in the Netherlands having scored 20 goals in nine games in winning the South American qualifier.

"They look pretty good on tape, they've got some pretty good attacking players, which is the way of South American soccer," said Wagenaar, who will be in net again for Canada.

And if Wednesday's game (11:30 a.m. EDT) is anything like Colombia's opener, the Colombians will have the crowd on their side.

On Sunday, the Willem II Stadium was a sea of Colombian flags and banners as South American fans with painted faces poured in from Belgium and Germany and across the Netherlands to cheer on Colombia against Italy.

"I guess it's kind of a feeling of home for them still," said Wagenaar, whose mom and dad will be among the relatively small Canadian cheering section in Tilburg.

Colombian coach Eduardo Lara hopes the fans keep coming.

"My 'sons' worked hard against Italy and tried their best to please all of those fantastic Colombian supporters who came to watch us," Lara said on the FIFA website.

"We want to please our fans in Colombia, the Colombians over here and also the Dutch people because we feel there is some love for us in the host country also.

"We will go into the Canada match with the same sense of responsibility that we had against Italy. Canada are also a good team so we have to stay humble and keep both feet on the ground."

This time, Canada will have to be sharp from the opening whistle. The Canadians got off to a nightmarish beginning Sunday when Wagenaar tried to clear a backpass from a defender, but the ball glanced off his foot and spun up in the air. A Syrian striker headed the ball in for a goal.

Mitchell believes opening-game jitters may have played a role in the early minutes, and was pleased with how his young team regrouped, narrowly missing on a couple of scoring chances that could have given the Canadians a victory.

The six-foot-two Wagenaar, who's a sophomore at Hartwick College in Oneonta, N.Y., in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains, said his bungled kick is the kind of mistake that happens maybe once or twice in a 'keeper's career. Sunday was just really bad timing.

"Obviously it wasn't a great start for us as a team and me especially," said Wagenaar. "But it happens in the game of soccer, especially in the goalkeeping position. You've got to expect things like that to happen. . . and it was just disappointing it had to happen now at this time.

"You've got to look forward and put it behind you, especially as a goalkeeper, you've got to keep looking ahead."

Canada wraps up first-round play against Italy on June 18.

The top two teams in each of the six first-round pools, plus the four best third-place finishers advance to the second round.

Mitchell led Canada into the quarter-finals two years ago in the United Arab Emirates, the best ever showing by a Canadian men's team at a FIFA world championship.

Archived