Canadas Squad for Portuagal Game

Manuel

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from a Mexican holiday (ole!) . . . and getting excited about this friendly!

I like our flank defensive pairings for this match against Ronaldo, Simao, et al. I'd like to see Simpson stay at left back with Brennan providing cover from left mid, Staltieri at right back with Bernier (the new Jason Bent?) at right mid, or put Hutchison at right back with the Diesel providing cover from right mid.

It is interesting that a number of you have stated that central mid is the "achilles heel" of this team yet three players on this roster (DeGuzman, Hutchison, and Imhoff) presently play the defensive/holding mid roles for their club sides on a regular basis. Throw in a guy like a (healthy) Grande, and it seems to me we have some depth there.

The achilles heel to me is still the central defence partnership. McKenna and Reda? I fear that if we play them as a pairing against pacy opposition, we may be in trouble. Both these players excel in aerial defending (they probably face a lot of "Route One" offensive forays in their respective domestic leagues) but it remains to be seen if they can combine quickness with anticipation/tactical reading of the game to nullify the Portuguese attack. I wrote in an earlier thread that I would like to see Klukowski as one of the starting central defenders, though I'm not sure that he plays there with his club side. Regardless of the central defence pairing, we could see a 4-5-1 employed, with two defensive central mids providing a shield for the most vulnerable part of our team.

If we aren't going to see this match televised, I hope we can get updates on each of the five days of training. It would be great to read in depth reports on who looks impressive and who doesn't, and get a feel for who stands out. The usual blog you read is about the team's injury situation. It would be interesting to know during a drill or scrimmage if, for instance, Radzinski is schooling Reda, or vice versa. Food for thought.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

This is Canada. If we were to not show other country's matches and give importance to Canada's team, people would start claiming the networks were unfair or biased or (the R-word) or something.

/don't deny it, you know someone would say it.

I guess Canadian Content rules don't apply to sports programming but I can't turn on the radio without hearing Avril Lavigne,Simple Plan,Sum 41,Billy Talent every %@#&en minute.:(

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I guess Canadian Content rules don't apply to sports programming but I can't turn on the radio without hearing Avril Lavigne,Simple Plan,Sum 41,Billy Talent every %@#&en minute.:(

Come on, there must be content rules for TV as well. How else can you explain the Soccer Fanatics on TLN, or Train 48?

There are stringent Canadian-content rules for television. However, they only apply to content, not the actual sport. The England game means that Sportsnet needs to have Canadian shows (be they SNET News, junior hockey, Be A Player or whatever) to keep it % at the required level for that time period.

Vancouver Fan mentions radio as an analogy. Let me play on that analogy. A lot of Canadian pop and rock is heard, but how much Canadian rap or hip hop compared to American rap or hip hop on Canadian radio? Very, very little (usually restricted to a few artists such as k-os or Rascalz).

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

I talked with one of the guy's that work at Champs inMontreal and he said he would tape it for me. 10$ if I bring a tape, 15$ if he provides the tape.

If you could get a tape made, it could be copied onto a bit torrent file which could then be shared online with all of us... no need to make multiple VHS copies. I'll gladly pay the 10 bucks if you can get the tape to someone who can made a torrent file.

Josh is out.

From the Millwall website.

--------------------

No go for Simpson

Josh Simpson has been forced to pull out of Canada's squad for this Saturday's international friendly against Portugal in Barcelos. The 21-year-old was due to link up with Frank Yallop's squad today, but he has been ruled out of action with a niggly back problem. Josh only returned to first team duty on Sunday with a sparkling display in The Lions' 3-0 win against Plymouth Argyle, having missed the previous two games through injury. But he aggravated his back and rather than risk making matters worse, Josh has remained in England for treatment.

too bad for josh.

replacement at LB? maybe klukowski, tho I'd rather see him at CB. Or else maybe Stalteri... though in my opinion he could be much better used in midfield.

If Frank drops Brennan to left back and plays DD out of position at L-mid, I am gonna throw something at the TV... uhhm, make that "throw something at the computer monitor" (thanks Sportsnet!)

quote:Originally posted by Dave

If Frank drops Brennan to left back and plays DD out of position at L-mid, I am gonna throw something at the TV... uhhm, make that "throw something at the computer monitor" (thanks Sportsnet!)

That's really too bad. Well between the choices of putting Reda and McKenna at CB and pushing Klukowski to LB or dropping Brennan to LB, using Klukowski at CB, playing DeRo at LM and having Radz and OO up front, I think the latter makes us a better team. Which is coming from someone who rather not see DeRo at left mid ever again.

Or we recall Marty Nash or MC2 or Chris Pozniak or Richard Hastings (duck).

We've got some options on the left at least for cover. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Jazic is definitely out though right?

cheers,

matthew

I think things would sure be different if Tam and Frankie could make up but as they're not...

Diesel- Big Kev- Reda- Kluklowski

Peters- The Guz- Hutch- Brennan

- Radzinski

- Otto

Imhoff and Dwayne on the bench for tactical corrections as need be and Hutch realy, realy, crowding the hole.

Guess the whole system depends on Radz's ability to play the raider role he's often times been called on to at Fulham and Otto succeeding as a target.

One way or another, there are some pretty big lads out there. Play for corners!

Run Peters! Run!

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

View from the other side

Canada vs. Portugal - March 26, 2005

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178062

Portugal's Squad for Canada Friendly & Slovakia WC Qualifier

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178021

"Other side" -- most of those guys seem to be in Toronto, yet continue to refer to Portugal as "we" even against Canada. Not that that's surprising.

Daniel and Sigma, if you're going to bother posting in those threads then you have to tear into those guys a bit. [}:)]

quote:"Other side" -- most of those guys seem to be in Toronto, yet continue to refer to Portugal as "we" even against Canada. Not that that's surprising.
I realize that but mention anything and you get knocked for being Canadian. Why beat your head against the wall for those ingrates. Two other "Canadian" boards are mostly Croatian or Portuguese. Funny thing, the guys who have actually won something (Italians) hardly ever pull the Canada sux routine. Such is life for the Canadian soccer fan.

Archived