Canadas Squad for Portuagal Game

Manuel

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

how do you do what?

I think Manuel is trying to quote. All you have to do is hit the icon_reply_topic.gif button on the message you want to quote and it'll open a reply screen for you with the quoted message surrounded in [ quote ] [ /quote ] tags. Leave it like this and add your reply to the bottom of the mesage (after the last [ /quote ]).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always hate it when we hear about our squad first in the media from the country we play against. The CSA should be faster communicating these things. This is what I see for the game.

---------Hirschfield--------------

Stalteri--Klukowski--McKenna--Simpson

Peters--Bernier--de Guzman--Brennan

------Occéan--Radzinsky-------

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

I always hate it when we hear about our squad first in the media from the country we play against. The CSA should be faster communicating these things.

What really pisses me off is when I visited TSN and sportsnet websites yesterday they had information about the game...but only about how powerful the Portuguese line up is!!! I think the word "Canada" only came up twice. No mention of anything Canadian, even though they are Canadian stations.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think it is a good squad for us as well. One of the little advantages is that we are almost all in season or close to it, with the exception of Sutton. So all should be game ready, considering DeRosario had recent trials and was probably ready physically for them, perhaps only Bernier and Hutchinson may be a bit behind in this regard.

For me Portugal is quick, can be aggresive in the middle, is technical, but perhaps we could shut down their centre forwards if we can limit the service they get. They are very reliable at the back and their keeping is good as well. Really looking forward to seeing De Guzman against Deco, anticipating a Depor-Barça for next season.

I can only see us winning because they will come out relaxed, Scolari may reserve some players and experiment a bit, and we may be able to get a first goal or surprise them with our effort in the first half.

Wonder how I am going to be able to see this match here in Barcelona.

Out of Yallop's squad here's the Canadian lineup that has as much veteran experience balanced with speed, skill, and defensive ability in midfield as possible to keep the score respectable and open up more chances for some decent counterattacks for Canada.

Hirschfeld

Hutch Reda Klukowski Brennan

Bernier deGuzman

Stalteri Simpson

Radzinski

deRosario

With this lineup, Radzinski is dropped back to midfield where he can provide more speed, skill and harassing ability to the Canadian midfield along with Stalteri and DeGuzman so as to avoid Canada being overrun time and again. With his speed and that of Stalteri and deGuzman in midfield Canada will have a better chance to exploit any counterattacking opportunities that come up.

As for defence, Klukowski better be a starter or else. Once he came on in the Norn Iron match the whole defence visibly settled down. I don't want to see McKenna start as he isn't as good defensively as Reda. for this match, I think Canada needs Stalteri more in midfield than at right back and that Hutch can play right back instead of d-mid. I'd like to see Bernier or Imhof as right d-mid alongside deGuzman. At left midfield I'd like to see either Simpson or Brennan.

DeRosario is up front because he is better suited in this position than in midfield. He can do much more running than Occean to harass defenders in their own end, can sometimes make something out of nothing and is also good at farting around with the ball wasting time in the other team's half :-). I would bring Occean on as a 2nd half sub when he is better-suited to outmuscle tired defenders off the ball. Peters because of his speed and trickiness would be another late game sub as well in right midfield but no way a starter yet

My prediction: If Yallop goes with McKenna on defense

and Hutch and Peters in midfield, there is a strong chance of a blowout for Portugal. McKenna's defensive weaknesses and Hutch and Peter's inexperience in midfield will set Canada up to get overrun in midfield time and again and a team like Portugal are not as likely to squander their chances the way Northern Ireland did.

take care, guys

That's not so bad paisley62...but where's Peters? I'd replace Reda with Hutchinson, drop Stalteri to the right fullback, and have the wee man wide right...experience and speed on that side. Some people might switch Radz with DeRo up front, but I can see why you'd want DeRo as a front runner after all those giveaways in the Ireland Game. If it was anyone other than Portugal, Occean should get first consideration up front.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think it is a good squad for us as well. One of the little advantages is that we are almost all in season or close to it, with the exception of Sutton. So all should be game ready.

Greg Sutton is probably in good shape, he had a couple of tryouts in England, was in the net against Northern Ireland and has been training with the Impact since february.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

That's not so bad paisley62...but where's Peters? I'd replace Reda with Hutchinson, drop Stalteri to the right fullback, and have the wee man wide right...experience and speed on that side. Some people might switch Radz with DeRo up front, but I can see why you'd want DeRo as a front runner after all those giveaways in the Ireland Game. If it was anyone other than Portugal, Occean should get first consideration up front.

You asked about Peters, I 'd only put him on as a late game sub because he is still too much of a defensive liabilty over a whole match.

As for Hutch, I've read he did really well as a halfback in the U20 World Cup. I'd like to see him tried out in this position eventually once he puts on some more muscle. Right now, given his speed and slight build I think he is better suited as a right back and in a pinch as a d-mid at the national team level.

quote:Originally posted by paisley62

As for Hutch, I've read he did really well as a halfback in the U20 World Cup. I'd like to see him tried out in this position eventually once he puts on some more muscle. Right now, given his speed and slight build I think he is better suited as a right back and in a pinch as a d-mid at the national team level.

He was centre-back at the WYC and right-back in WCQ. He plays d-mid at his club.

quote:Originally posted by paisley62

Daniel, just to make it clear, half-back and centre-back are the same position. I know Hutch played right back during World Cup qualifying and that's why I'd rather see him there.

It was St-Paddy's day and I read "leftback" :P.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

One week to go and all is quiet on the television front. Very annoying if we don't see this game considering the market for it in Canada.

Sportsnet has confirmed that they won't show the game. From an email they sent me:

"Thank you for your recent email. We did attempt to get the broadcasting rights for this game but were unsuccessful. Our apologies that we were unable to assist you further."

Sportsnet sucks.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

I got the exact same responce from Sportsnet... I would have even loved to see this game on tape delay like 5 days later.

We might be able to get a torrent from Portugal or someone with satellite, no?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

We might be able to get a torrent from Portugal or someone with satellite, no?

That's what I've been thinking all along.

The question is, are Portugal matches usually available? In the bit of browsing I've done, I don't recall seeing any Portugal matches. Perhaps we should make a request now.

Surely someone should be able to grab RTP international which is showing the game live at 3:30 p.m. EST. I know nothing about satelites and dishes, but if someone can tell me what kind of dish you'd need I can start to figure out where I can watch it. I'm sure Torontonians will have no trouble (save having to sit with a bunch of people cheering for Portugal) finding somewhere showing the game. I would hope other bigger centres would be the same. I'm still holding out hope for Regina.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

I talked with one of the guy's that work at Champs inMontreal and he said he would tape it for me. 10$ if I bring a tape, 15$ if he provides the tape.

You realise that you'll have to make 50 copies for this board don't you ;)

Let me think a 19" monitor for a torrent or a 36" TV .......hmmmmmmm send me a copy if you can please.

Archived