• Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I would go with this line-up:

Hirshfeld

Stalteri-Reda-Klukowski-Simpson

Bernier-Imhof-De-Guzman-Brennan

De Ro Radz

but I expect that Yallop would start McKenna instead of either Reda or Klukowski, with whoever doesn't start out of those two replacing the other in the 2nd half. Atiba, Peters, Olivier would also come on as subs late. I think give the opponent & location it will be more of an internationally experience team that starts.

I have to second Beav's notion that Simpson should not be on defense. Seeing as he likes to run with the ball, I would rather not have him as one of the last men back. I think Ireland exposed his weakness in this area as they (physically) hammered him trying to finesse the ball out of our area. I would much rather see Brennan back there with his maturity and size. Better to have Josh using his great dribbling skills in a more attacking position and drawing more useful fouls in the midfield and not getting sucked into retaliatory fouls in our end.

A 4-5-1 with two holding mids as a few have suggested.

----------Hirschfeld

-Stalteri-Reda-McKenna-Klukowski

-----Atiba-------De Guz------

Peters -----Imhof-----Brennan

----------Radzinski

A good line-up i think, allowing Klukowski a bit more mobility for offense and to cover for the slower McKenna. I think two defensive mids will be needed to gum-up both Portugal's speed and passing. Like the idea of having two pacy wingers to open space for Radz.

Best of luck to the Reds!

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

A 4-5-1 with two holding mids as a few have suggested.

----------Hirschfeld

-Stalteri-Reda-McKenna-Klukowski

-----Atiba-------De Guz------

Peters -----Imhof-----Brennan

----------Radzinski

A good line-up i think, allowing Klukowski a bit more mobility for offense and to cover for the slower McKenna. I think two defensive mids will be needed to gum-up both Portugal's speed and passing. Like the idea of having two pacy wingers to open space for Radz.

Best of luck to the Reds!

Arrrgh! What do people see in Imhof? That central midfield role will always be Canada's achillies heel. Ahh Owen "The Traitor" Hargreaves.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Arrrgh! What do people see in Imhof? That central midfield role will always be Canada's achillies heel. Ahh Owen "The Traitor" Owen "The Traitor" Hargreaves.

yeah I agree about the central mid achilles heel, but who else? I was thinking either Imhof or Bernier. Probably put Imhof as there are less letters to type. Ideally, i'd put Hume in the offensive midfield position or as a withdrawn cf.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

[

I have to second Beav's notion that Simpson should not be on defense. Seeing as he likes to run with the ball, I would rather not have him as one of the last men back. I think Ireland exposed his weakness in this area as they (physically) hammered him trying to finesse the ball out of our area.

I think Northern Ireland exposed the weakness in the officiating for that game, more than anything. If Portugal does the same to Josh as Gillespie did for Northern Ireland then hopefully they will get the two red cards they would deserve.

Outside of that I though Simpson played well in defense. As long as he gets the proper protection from the Ref, I think he'll be fine going forward. But I'm not dead-set against a switch between him & Brennan.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think Northern Ireland exposed the weakness in the officiating for that game, more than anything. If Portugal does the same to Josh as Gillespie did for Northern Ireland then hopefully they will get the two red cards they would deserve.

Outside of that I though Simpson played well in defense. As long as he gets the proper protection from the Ref, I think he'll be fine going forward. But I'm not dead-set against a switch between him & Brennan.

Now that I see Mike K’s name (overlooked him), I would rather have him back there than either of the aforementioned. I would leave Brennan out wide and bring Josh more into the middle.

Josh just doesn’t strike me as a defender, yet. Maybe he will be in a few years and with about 20 more pounds. Granted, the ref didn’t protect Josh, but I think the weakness was evident regardless. JMO.

Hey, we do not NEED to use Imhof in the middle, though he does a decent job most of the time. (I'm a fan of his, though I am aware of the limitations.) Another option would be to put Hutch at right back, and move Stalteri into the middle with DeGuzman. The problem, of course, is that Stalteri hasn't played in the mid for a bloody long time. And, I think Hutch offers more down the middle than Imhof does.

The key to this game and this line-up--finding a leader to bring the team together. My gut tells me that Reda is the man to do this. It will be a huge mistake to put McKenna at center back (though I love the guy, really.) We need some new leaders to step up, and aside from McKenna, I cannot think of a better and more likely leader than Reda. hell, the national coach of Norway said he'd make Reda the captain of their national side if he'd been Norweigan. (Or did I get that wrong.) Great leaders are hard to come by: I think Reda, with some support and confidence, could be our guy.

I like that squad a lot. Should be a good test and we have most of our top players at our disposal.

------------------------Hirschfeld

Hutchinson---McKenna--Klukowski---Simpson

--------Imhof-----------Stalteri----------Brennan

------------------------DeGuzman

----------------DeRosario----Radzinski

I think we need to make a lot of subs. I wanted to go Reda-Kluka in the middle, but I thought that seemed pretty unproven. I also like Simpson in the back (esp. if no Jazic) and think Brennan's better suited to the midfield. But ideally they can interchange and do both. I also think Occean could be really valuable, but I also think we need Radz to start (him burying everything he touches a la Switzerland is our best chance IMO) and I figure we'll be chasing the game, so DeRo is better suited to doing some chasing and getting involved in the midfield.

I'm not sold at all on Bernier in the midfield and would rather see Peters come off the bench if Imhof isn't getting it done on the right (I'm think defence first a little with the midfield and I think Stalteri needs to be in the centre of things).

Should be good. A week to prepare and a good team. Let's see what we're capable of.

cheers,

matthew

This is a great roster. I think if we play with organised defence we can definatley get a good result. Portugal where held to a 2-2 draw with Liechenstein in Vaduz a while back in a WCQ.

Yallop even said he would stress attacking against Portugal. Hopefully this is the case. I think he could accomplish this with a 4-4-2, but also a 4-5-1 with a good wing attack could provide insurance so we arnt caught on the break.

4-5-1

(left to right)

Hirschfeld

Simpson McKenna Klukowski Stalteri

------Imhoff--Hutchinson

Brennan---------------Peters

---------DeGuzman----------

---------Radzinski---------

In a 4-4-2, I would like to see Derosario and Radzinski up front. I only wish we could have brought Hume. He could have provided some

intensity to the attack.

The biggest tactical challenge in this match is how to deal with Ronaldo. He could be the best in the world right now, and because he switches left and right during the match, I would almost have him shadowed by someone like Peters. It would be a great experience for the kid, because that's the kind of player he might turn out to be. Simpson could handle the task as well.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

The biggest tactical challenge in this match is how to deal with Ronaldo. He could be the best in the world right now, and because he switches left and right during the match, I would almost have him shadowed by someone like Peters. It would be a great experience for the kid, because that's the kind of player he might turn out to be. Simpson could handle the task as well.

I think Ronaldo and switching sides only makes sense when a player of equal talent and versatility exists to switch sides with. Ronaldo has Giggs. Duff has Robben. Do the Portugese have a Ronaldo doppleganger to do that?

I imagine there'll be no switching on behalf of mr. Ronaldo. And his crosses still need a bit of work. Nice dancer with the ball though. Maybe has a future in ballroom dancing...

They tend to start Mr Happy Feet on the right with Luis Boa Morte (one of the coolest names in soccer) on the left. Kid named Quaresma, that some say has more skill than Ronaldo but a bit of an attitude problem, is mostly right footed, Simao and Viana are not wingers but Scolari plays them there at times as well.

However you cut it, there is a lot of pace and trickery in the team.

Keep your eye on the ball Larry!

They do not start Luis Boa Morte on the left. He usualy comes in as a sub. Simao is the other winger. That is his natural postion. Viana has never been used a s a winger and probably won't. He'll replace Deco as a sub. As for Quaresma, he's not a regular yet on this team (only capped twice), but when he becomes one, he will be a winger and compete with Simao.

Great selection Frank! too ba dthe roster wasnt like this during WCQ, but i guess we shouldnbt worry too much about the past...this wil be a big test but i think with this squad and the right starting 11 we can at least give portugal a run for their money

GK: Hirschfeld

LB: Brennan

CB: McKenna

CB: Reda

RB: Stalteri

LWM: Simpson

CDM: Bernier

CAM: DeGuz

RWM: Peters

F: OO

F: Radz

I'd rather see Occean in there to start instea dof DeRo simply to have a Big man up there with radz, but something tells me Frank is gonna start him.....even if it means putting him on the wing

Archived