Canadas Squad for Portuagal Game

Manuel

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I realize that but mention anything and you get knocked for being Canadian. Why beat your head against the wall for those ingrates. Two other "Canadian" boards are mostly Croatian or Portuguese. Funny thing, the guys who have actually won something (Italians) hardly ever pull the Canada sux routine. Such is life for the Canadian soccer fan.
Yeah, I wasn't knocking you or your use of "other side", I was just complaining about those guys.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

10$ says we don't replace the injured and end up starting the game with 14 players...

Sutton for left-mid! :P

We almost always call up too few players, have few subs as others get injured in practice, and there we are trying to get a result in an away game vs. a top 10 side with only three subs, while they do all 5. Meaning a one possible advantage of physical intimidation becomes undone late on and the whole exercise ends up a bit futile.

After all, they have four days in Algarve first, that is also a chance to bring in new players, untried prospects, build a bit of team spirit. But no.

Is it that we must we be resigned to the CSA on the cheap? Expect a big technical contingent for this one though.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

After all, they have four days in Algarve first, that is also a chance to bring in new players, untried prospects, build a bit of team spirit. But no.

Is it that we must we be resigned to the CSA on the cheap? Expect a big technical contingent for this one though.

I agree, especially with your last sentence. Sports organizations in this country are bloated with overpaid, redundant men in suits and ID cards strapped around their necks or clipped to their lapels, strolling around and revelling in their self important roles! What a waste of money!:(

By the way, my back line suggestion: Staltieri, Reda, Klukowski, and Brennan (Big Kev as sub centre back, or target man striker for Radz?).

Yeah, I found the initial numbers rather confusing. Why not take a few more players? And the point about physical intimidation is a good one, one that we probably do not consider often enough. Mind you, I think we are becoming a smaller and smaller side these days. Sure, Occean is a big lad, but most everybody else plays clean and small. (Though DeGuz is learning how to play a bit nasty, I hear.) Hume would play tough, as would DeVos. Anyhow, I like Jeffrey's point.

I'm going to be rediculous for rediculous' sake.

I'd call in Tam Nsaliwa to replace Simpson on the roster and bring in Rob Friend simply because we can and go with a 4-3-1-2.

------------Hirschfeld

Stalteri---Reda--Klukowski---Nsaliwa

Hutchinson----DeGuzman----Brennan

--------------Radzinski

---------Occean----Friend

Then we actually make use of our substitutions and bring in DeRo for Radzinski and McKenna for one of Friend or Occean.

Why? Why the heck not and because I have plenty of time on my hands right now and I'd simply wouldn't mind seeing Occean, Friend and McKenna beat the tar out of the Portugal back line. :D

BTW, glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed with our consistently small squads.

Remember, this idea was in jest (kind of).

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Yeah, I found the initial numbers rather confusing. Why not take a few more players? And the point about physical intimidation is a good one, one that we probably do not consider often enough. Mind you, I think we are becoming a smaller and smaller side these days. Sure, Occean is a big lad, but most everybody else plays clean and small. (Though DeGuz is learning how to play a bit nasty, I hear.) Hume would play tough, as would DeVos. Anyhow, I like Jeffrey's point.

Before the first Guatemala game, the Guatemalans started shouting in the tunnel. While some of the older players told them to STFU there was some thought that the younger, less experienced guys were a bit intimidated by the experience. While it speaks to the lack of preparation, it also says that we need some of your younger guys to get past being intimidated themselves before we can hope to intimidate others.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Before the first Guatemala game, the Guatemalans started shouting in the tunnel. While some of the older players told them to STFU there was some thought that the younger, less experienced guys were a bit intimidated by the experience. While it speaks to the lack of preparation, it also says that we need some of your younger guys to get past being intimidated themselves before we can hope to intimidate others.

Maybe that is why Watson is part of the delegation. Or did I get that wrong? Yes, our young lads will need to add iron-resolve to their repetoire, too.

Hey, as for Andrew W's line-up, for the back four I'd switch Tam and Kluka. Tam has been playing down the middle, and Kluka is a lefty.

Just my foreskin's worth.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

I hope Frank won't dress Watson in Josh Simpson's spot!!!

I could see it...i think it was when holger was till in charge (possibly the germany game?) where Dasovic was with the squad as an assistant coach, but when one of the players got hurt in training, dasovic was put in the squad as a replacement, and even started the match...

Archived