Canadas Squad for Portuagal Game

Manuel

The Portuguese media have listed Canadas squad for the Portuagal game. Just found this on maisfutebol website. Why do they know the squad before the Canadian press do? Oh, and Stalteri is listed.

Canadá: Yallop convocou apenas 16 para o jogo com Portugal

[ 2005/03/15 | 18:59 ] Redacção MaisFutebol

Frank Yallop, seleccionador canadiano, já decidiu quem são os jogadores que vão defrontar Portugal no próximo dia 26 de Março, no Estádio Municipal de Barcelos. O jogo será de carácter particular e servirá de preparação para a Selecção Nacional antes de voltarem os jogos de qualificação para o Mundial 2006.

Yallop convocou apenas 16 jogadores, na grande maioria a actuar em equipas europeias. O seleccionador canadiano decidiu ainda submeter os jogadores a um pequeno estágio no Algarve, entre os dias 20 e 24 deste mês.

Lista de convocados:

Greg Sutton (Montreal Impact), Lars Hirschfeld (Leicester), Josh Simpson (Millwall), Mike Klukowski (FC Brugge), Paul Stalteri (Werder Bremen), Kevin McKenna (Hearts), Marco Reda (Aalborg), Atiba Hutchinson (Helsingborg), Daniel Imhof (St. Gallen), Jim Brennan (Norwich), Jaime Peters (Ipswich), Patrice Bernier (Tromso), Julian de Guzman (Hannover 96), Dwayne de Rosario (San Jose Earthquakes), Olivier Occean (Odd Grenland) e Tomasz Radzinski (Fulham).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Portuguese part translates into: Frank Yallop, Canada's coach has decided who are the players that will face Portugal on March 26 at the Estadio Municipal de Barcelos. The game is a friendly and serves as preperation for Portugal before they return to qualifing for ther World Cup 2006. Yallop called 16 players, with most of them playing on European teams. The Canadian coach has decided to put the players through a small training camp in the Algarve, from the 20th to the 24th of this month.

Head fake on Stalteri!

This is a pretty good team actually, not much to complain about. With Larry and Attiba marking their wingers and July and Imhof tracking Deco and Maniche we might actually steal another result!

Porkncheese 1 (Nuno Gomes 46)- Canada 1 (DeRo 72)

sorta remembered Hutch not playing outside

It is not his best position IMO, but if we start a back line like this:

Hutch--McKenna--Klukowski--Stalteri

then Larry can follow Ronaldo to either side of the pitch, with Attiba working in to the centre and Kluka on the left.

Some dangerous forwards coming at our back line, but Imhof and DeGuz man for man can shut down the Deco supply line and JP and Jimmy B get some dangerous crosses into the big Double O...

Hey if Hume wears 7 then we can have a OO7 strike force!

Don't think we'll see Dwayne out on the wing anymore.

Was wondering what to do down that right side myself. Do like the speed out there.

Lars

Diesel-- Hutch-- Klukowski-- Simpson

Peters-- The Guz-- Inhoff-- Brennan

Big Kev-- Radz

Lots of throttle out there. Not so sure about a 4-4-2 though. And I dought Dwayne will get left on the bench for the start.

Probably see Occean for McKenna too. Either way, you get the idea.

Not a bad squad all in all. Except I'd have called Hume over Peters.

Other than Nsaliwa not being there I am pretty happy with the lineup. Hume is not called because of his club's promotion battle. I think Jazic is still injured. He has not been mentioned on his club's website for some time and was not even on their recent roster list. The last I heard about him was about 6 weeks ago that he had returned from treatment in Moscow and was rehabbing in Krasnodar. I definitely think McKenna is the wrong guy to be at the back against the speedy, technically gifted Portugese. His role in this game should be as a striker sub.

I agree about McKenna. I think I'd rather see Reda in there. What I saw of him against N. Ireland was he was a little quicker of foot than big Kev; at least enough so to fill in at right back as an emergency replacement.

I like McKenna to come in off the bench as a striker as a replacement for Occean to continue pounding at their back line. He's been hurt recently so I don't see him as being match fit enough to start.

I'd go:

-----------Hirschfeld (I think it was said he'd start this one)

Stalteri-Reda-Klukowski-Simpson

Hutchinson-deGuzman-Imhof-Brennan

----------Occean-Radzinski

IMHO I Don't see a result against such a quality team but I like that almost all of our (considered) best will be there so we can get a true measure of where we are.

This is the one time I'm disappointed about Aguiar not being involved with the MNT anymore. His insight into many of the players would be most welcome as would his experience in disrupting the Portuguese style of play.

Yeah, was playing with the Reda-Klukowski pairing myself. Think I'll stick with Hutch though, even if having Reda ment freeing Hutch up for right wing (Which is exactly my alternative by the way).

No. No McKenna on the back line of a 4-4-2 against Portugal thankyou.

Johnny is probably not too far off the mark when you really think about it. Yallop isn't going to want to let the score get silly (which could happen considering that the Portugese look to be feilding a strong team). He may very well try to bottle up the midfield. Still, it would be disappointing for us to do nothing but defend and play speculative long balls.

That would not be the way a Canadian team ever played. [:o)]

The only way for Canada to gain respect in the Football world is to continue to get good showings, not so much results...

If we show well against Portugal and tie or lose by a goal that is one thing. To beat Northern Ireland with 10 men but play a Chinese firedrill of a game looks bad.

I'd put Radz and Peters on wings with DeGuz in the middle with two other holding mf's.

Supply OO with high crosses and let him out jump the flakey weaklings on Portugals back line.

I would go with this line-up:

Hirshfeld

Bernier-Imhof-De-Guzman-Brennan

De Ro Radz

but I expect that Yallop would start McKenna instead of either Reda or Klukowski, with whoever doesn't start out of those two replacing the other in the 2nd half. Atiba, Peters, Olivier would also come on as subs late. I think give the opponent & location it will be more of an internationally experience team that starts.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I would go with this line-up:

Hirshfeld

Bernier-Imhof-De-Guzman-Brennan

De Ro Radz

but I expect that Yallop would start McKenna instead of either Reda or Klukowski, with whoever doesn't start out of those two replacing the other in the 2nd half. Atiba, Peters, Olivier would also come on as subs late. I think give the opponent & location it will be more of an internationally experience team that starts.

G-L, I like your line-up, though wonder if a more experienced Brennan would be better at left back, pushing Simpson up to mid. And, I wonder if it would be better to start Hutch over Bernier or Imhof, though both Imhof and Bernier have played a lot more football these last several weeks, so perhaps your selection makes more sense.

We'll be in tough against a very talented Portuguese side, but with a good line-up like this one, I can't help but think the experience alone will be very useful to our future, no matter the scoreline (more or less). I wish Tam was involved, and Hume will be missed, I feel.

Can't wait to see this game--if I can find somebody who can show the game.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

YALLOP ANNOUNCES ROSTER FOR FRIENDLY VS PORTUGAL

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s World Cup Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his 16-player roster for the upcoming international friendly against Portugal on March 26. The game will be played in Barcelos, a town approximately 50 km north of Porto at 8:30 p.m. local time.

“This is a game that many of us have been eagerly looking forward to for some time,” said Yallop. “You always want to try to play the best countries in the World and to play last year’s finalists from the European Championships in their own country is a great challenge for us.”

Yallop has selected 13 of the 16 players who played in Canada’s 1-0 win over Northern Ireland in Belfast on February 9. Joining the team for the first time since World Cup Qualifying are midfielder Julian de Guzman, defender/midfielder Paul Stalteri and forward Tomasz Radzinski.

De Guzman is finishing up his season with Hanover 96 before moving to Deportivo La Coruna this summer. Stalteri, who featured regularly in Werder Bremen’s Champions League games this season, has not played for Canada since the first semi-final round game against Guatemala on August 18. Radzinski missed Canada’s final qualifier against Guatemala in November and the Northern Ireland game.

The squad will gather at a hotel outside Faro on Sunday, March 20 and will train there for four days before flying to Porto on March 24. The team will then train in Porto on Friday, March 25 before facing Portugal on Saturday, March 26 at 8:30 p.m.

Canadian Roster For International Friendly vs Portugal

Name Pos Club DOB Caps Goals/Shutouts

1 Greg Sutton GK Montreal Impact, USL First Division 4/19/77 2 2

33 Lars Hirschfeld GK Leicester City, League Championship 10/17/78 17 5

4 Kevin McKenna D Hearts, Scottish Premier 1/21/80 26 7

5 Marco Reda D Aalborg, Danish First Division 6/22/77 1 0

6 Julian deGuzman M Hanover 96, German Bundesliga 3/25/81 13 0

7 Paul Stalteri D/M Werder Bremen, German Bundesliga 10/18/77 49 6

8 Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 30 0

9 Tomasz Radzinski F Fulham, English Premier 12/14/73 26 7

10 Patrice Bernier M Tromso, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 7 0

11 Jim Brennan M Norwich City, English Premier 5/8/77 35 3

12 Mike Klukowski D/M FC Brugge, Belgian First Division 5/27/81 4 0

13 Atiba Hutchinson D/M Helsingborg, Swedish Premier 3/8/83 11 1

14 Dwayne de Rosario M/F San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 5/15/78 28 7

15 Josh Simpson D/M Millwall, League Championship 5/15/83 7 0

16 Olivier Occean F Odd Grenland, Norwegian Premier 10/23/81 8 1

17 Jaime Peters M Ipswich Town, League Championship 5/4/87 6 0

Staff

Les Wilkinson Head of Delegation

Frank Yallop Head Coach

Mark Watson Assistant Coach

Paul Dolan Goalkeeper Coach

Morgan Quarry Team Manager

Victor Mendes Equipment Manager

Dave Foley Physiotherapist

Ed Johnson Doctor

For more information please contact:

Morgan Quarry

(613) 237-4580 ext: 230

media@soccercan.ca

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

YALLOP ANNOUNCES ROSTER FOR FRIENDLY VS PORTUGAL

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s World Cup Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his 16-player roster for the upcoming international friendly against Portugal on March 26. The game will be played in Barcelos, a town approximately 50 km north of Porto at 8:30 p.m. local time.

“This is a game that many of us have been eagerly looking forward to for some time,” said Yallop. “You always want to try to play the best countries in the World and to play last year’s finalists from the European Championships in their own country is a great challenge for us.”

Yallop has selected 13 of the 16 players who played in Canada’s 1-0 win over Northern Ireland in Belfast on February 9. Joining the team for the first time since World Cup Qualifying are midfielder Julian de Guzman, defender/midfielder Paul Stalteri and forward Tomasz Radzinski.

De Guzman is finishing up his season with Hanover 96 before moving to Deportivo La Coruna this summer. Stalteri, who featured regularly in Werder Bremen’s Champions League games this season, has not played for Canada since the first semi-final round game against Guatemala on August 18. Radzinski missed Canada’s final qualifier against Guatemala in November and the Northern Ireland game.

The squad will gather at a hotel outside Faro on Sunday, March 20 and will train there for four days before flying to Porto on March 24. The team will then train in Porto on Friday, March 25 before facing Portugal on Saturday, March 26 at 8:30 p.m.

Canadian Roster For International Friendly vs Portugal

Name Pos Club DOB Caps Goals/Shutouts

1 Greg Sutton GK Montreal Impact, USL First Division 4/19/77 2 2

33 Lars Hirschfeld GK Leicester City, League Championship 10/17/78 17 5

4 Kevin McKenna D Hearts, Scottish Premier 1/21/80 26 7

5 Marco Reda D Aalborg, Danish First Division 6/22/77 1 0

6 Julian deGuzman M Hanover 96, German Bundesliga 3/25/81 13 0

7 Paul Stalteri D/M Werder Bremen, German Bundesliga 10/18/77 49 6

8 Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 30 0

9 Tomasz Radzinski F Fulham, English Premier 12/14/73 26 7

10 Patrice Bernier M Tromso, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 7 0

11 Jim Brennan M Norwich City, English Premier 5/8/77 35 3