So who gets called up for Portugal?

Daniel

Hard to say what Yallop's approach will be. Portugal could very well slaughter us if we don't put a decent squad on the pitch, and I can't see how that is useful, even if we are only "rebuilding" at this point. Young teams need to boost their confidence with solid play and the odd solid result. Hell, even veteran teams need to boost their confidence.

Still, is there any point bringing in players like Radzinski and Devos in light of the fact they will not play a role in our future?

Well, I'd say 'no' for the most part, except when it comes to Devos.

Devos said he'd be willing to come into the squad if Frank needed him to start training a young centre back. I cannot think of a better opportunity than this game vs. Portugal and the forthcoming Gold Cup. I hope that Kluka gets the nod.

So, with that in mind, here's who I'd like to see, and aside from Devos, I think this is who Yallop will call:

Sutton, Lars and one other keeper

Mckenna (if healthy), Kluka, Reda, Stalteri, DeGuzman, Simpson

Brennan, Hume, DD, Devos, Imhof, Occean, Hutch (if healthy), Peters, Bernier and Serioux.

I hope Nsaliwa answers the call, but I'm not holding my breath. I wish Grande was healthy, and I wouldn't mind seeing Bircham and the young DeGuzman, but I doubt that is realistic (or even beneficial).

Tough game. But we should have time to get decently prepared. That is the most important thing to me. time to practice together, to get familiar etc. The game is just gravy.

Prediction

Portugal 3 -- Canada 0

I would imagine that we'll see July De Guzman, Paul Stalteri, Tam Nsaliwa, and, if he's recovered from injury, Sandro Grande. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Tomasz Radzinski and Ante Jazic. I'd love to see JDV (perhaps to tutor Kluka??), but I don't think it likely.

My preferred lineup:

Hirschfeld

Hutch/Stalteri -- Klukowski -- Nsaliwa -- Brennan

Hume -- Hutch/Stalteri -- De Guz -- Simpson

De Rosario -- Occean

Subs:

Sutton

Bernier

McKenna

Peters

Grande

Serioux

Reda

If we move to a 4-5-1 (if, for instance, Portugal is all over us), I'd drop De Rosario and insert Serioux or Grande in central midfield.

Heres who I think will get a call for the Portgual game:

strikers: Hume, DeRo, Occean, Radzinski (why not, just because were playing Portugal)

mids: Brennan, DeGuzman, Imhof, Peters, Bircham, Serioux

backs: Stalteri, Klukowski, Simpson, McKenna, Hutchinson, DeVos (its quite possible)

Keepers: Hirschfeld, Sutton

Yallop definitely try to put the best players out there.

I don't see Radzinski or DeVos getting called upon. Yallop seems commited to the Future Movement.

possible 16-player roster:

GK: Hirschfeld, Sutton

DEF: Stalteri, McKenna, Kuklowski, Simpson, Nsaliwa

MID: deGuzman, Brennan, Imhof, Serioux, Hutchinson, J. Peters

FWD: Hume, deRosario, Occean

injury cover/alternate choices:

Bernier, Reda, Gervais, Jazic, Bircham, Grande

Hmm. Tricky.

I'm okay with bringing in the odd new face or prospect player but I'm more for letting the 2nd team lads earn their way onto the squad.

Some veterens aren't going to make themselves available odviously, but others shouldn't be excluded just because we're "looking to the future". Would rather the young ones play themselves into the squad rather than inherit a position. Earn the right to an appearance with Portugal.

This realy isn't the sort of match to be having a look-see at some new faces. At least not more than one or two if it can be helped.

Let the rookies cut their teeth on NI and Mali and such. Got to pay your dues boys, got to pay your dues.

(Tricky figuring out how to play Portugal. Know I don't want Reda at fullback and if Nsaliwa isn't an option, either because of politics or form, do you let Diesel practice his craft. And if you do who plays raider in the middle? Radzinski? Ug.)

I don't understand why some people keep thinking Devos and Radz will get called back. It was less then a week ago we just read a big article on how Devos is going to concentrate on club career for the time being and is basically retiring from the National team, while Radz came back to the team for a shot at the World Cup, not to play friendlies or in the Gold Cup. I doubt Radz even gets a call, but I doutbt even more he would accept if he was given that call. Shouldn't we be playing our young strikers here anyways that are going to form the core of our Gold Cup and Future World Cup Qualifying teams?? Playing quality minutes against Portugal will be an invaluable experience for young guys like Occean and Hume. I think the biggest difference in our team would be getting Stalteri and Deguzman back in the fold (our 2 best players in my opinion) this will definitely help our ball movement and possession.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

What a great time to bring FA back in to the fold.

I agree and hope so. However I don't think that's how Fernando

feels. I agree pretty much with David C's selection, but

I'm still hoping Jason DeVos will show up as a last hurrah

in his international career.

Should Yallop call up Jonathan De Guzman, for experience?

quote:Originally posted by redhat

It's not like he lives far away from the location of the game, CSA could save some travel expenses... I wonder who to e-mail with this polite suggestion.

Do we have Aguiar's email address?

I'd love to write him an e-mail urging him to attempt to mend fences with the squad.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

It's not like he lives far away from the location of the game, CSA could save some travel expenses... I wonder who to e-mail with this polite suggestion.

Do we have Aguiar's email address?

I'd love to write him an e-mail urging him to attempt to mend fences with the squad.

IMHO, a goodwill gesture more realistic and appropriate than calling FA would be to call Daniel Fernandes. It won't happen, but here's what I'd try were I in FY's boots:

---------------Fernandes---------------

Stalteri----Nsaliwa-----Klukowski----Brennan

---------------Serioux----------------

-----Hutchinson-Grande-Deguzman---------

-----------Hume--------McKenna----------

A defensive, counter-attacking 4-1-3-2 to try to keep things close with Hirschfeld, Kappos, Simpson, Bernier, Bircham, DeRosario, & Occean on the bench.

I see no benefit from Radz and DeVos. They aren't part of the future. I can only see calling DeVos a show of goodwill, for him being there all those years, and I'm sure he'd love to play in a game like this.

I think Sutton proved against NI that he is the real deal. I'd like to see him start, but he hasn't been playing lately, as the ALeague is off, so I look for Hirsch to start.

Aside from a few guys missing, I like the side against NI.

I'd do this:

GK: Hirshfeld - Sutton would be my new number one, but Hirsch is in season right now.

RB: Stalteri - solid

LB: Klukowski - more like a wing back

CB: McKenna - Captain

CB: Reda - played well against NI

RM: Brennan - Good hard worker

LM: Simpson - he's part of the future core

CM: De Guzman - he's quality

CM: Hutchinson - if he's healthy

F: Occean - great target man, not much with the ball though

F: Hume - great pace

Subs: Sutton, Bernier, Imhof, Serioux, DeRosario

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I see no benefit from Radz and DeVos. They aren't part of the future. I can only see calling DeVos a show of goodwill, for him being there all those years, and I'm sure he'd love to play in a game like this.

I think Sutton proved against NI that he is the real deal. I'd like to see him start, but he hasn't been playing lately, as the ALeague is off, so I look for Hirsch to start.

Aside from a few guys missing, I like the side against NI.

I'd do this:

GK: Hirshfeld - Sutton would be my new number one, but Hirsch is in season right now.

RB: Stalteri - solid

LB: Klukowski - more like a wing back

CB: McKenna - Captain

CB: Reda - played well against NI

RM: Brennan - Good hard worker

LM: Simpson - he's part of the future core

CM: De Guzman - he's quality

CM: Hutchinson - if he's healthy

F: Occean - great target man, not much with the ball though

F: Hume - great pace

Subs: Sutton, Bernier, Imhof, Serioux, DeRosario

Yes, this seems to be the likely and most talented team for the future. In fact, I'd start this lineup right away. I wish Nsaliwa was in there somewhere, but otherwise I think you've found our core.

I don't think we'll see Radzinski or De Vos.Aguiar is and always will be Canadian soccer history.Time to close that chapter.

If we don't see Stalteri or De Guzman it will be a very long game.

STARTERS

Hirschfeld

Nsaliwa Klukowski Reda Jazic(Probably will not be there.My choice though.Simpson 2nd choice)

Hume Stalteri De Guzman Brennan

De Rosario Occean

BENCH

Hutchinson

Simpson

Serioux

McKenna

Peters

Imhof

Sutton

Hirchfeld

Stalteri Nsaliwa Klukowski Simpson

Bernier Grande/Hutchinson Deguzman Brennan

Hume Occean

Bench Mckenna Derosario Imhof Peters Reda Sutton Grande/Hutchinson

Thats what I would like to see however I think it will look more like this

Hirschfeld

Stalteri McKenna Klukowski Simpson

Hume Imhof Deguzman Brennan

Derosario Occean

Bench Peters Sutton Hutchinson Bernier Reda Serioux Grande

Derosario is Franks boy and though I like him as a three or four striker (With Mckenna Depending on whether you want size or skill) I think he will be a starter for the forseeable future as well I Don't think Big Kev is an answer in the middle of defence but He will be there. I think Klukowski played himself into that role in his time against NI and that Nsaliwa would be a perfect partner for him Though Reda also did much better after moving to the middle.

I would like to see three experaments in this game more than anything else.

1. Klukowski and Nsaliwa as central defenders for one half at least. It would be preferred that they start so that they can better mentally prepared for the task.

2. Hume and Occean together as strikers up front for a half. We need to know how they play together.

3. The time is now to start playing Peters. Let him get his feet wet. Better yet. Toss him into the deep end. Besides he has the pace to be able to play at this level and he needs to get some good experience when it doesn't really count. 30-45 min would be about right.

Not really an experament but I think de Guzman and Stalteri as central midfielders would be interesting. Being that both play in the Bundesliga, they probably would take less time to get accustomed to one another because I'm suspect there are similarities how German teams play. It also would make some sense to have our two best players in the middle of the park. During WCQ, it is not time to experament with player positioning or team changes. Now is the time. Let's sort out the pieces.

It would nice to win but this is a learning opportunity that we can't pass up. And who knows? Maybe the experaments will work and we do win. Besides I don't think we have much of a chance by playing the usual suspects.

I don't really know why I'm choosing this lineup other than I like what they all bring in terms of potential. So, IMHO, its time to essentially settle on a basic youngish lineup and let them mature together. I'll discount the older vets for now.

So, barring injury, illness, etc.

----------------Sutton

--------(Fernandez, Hirschfeld)

Hutchinson - Nsaliwa - Klukowski - Simpson

------------(Bernier)-----(Reda)

Stalteri - DeGuzman - Grande - Brennan

-----(Peters)-----------(Serioux)

--------------Hume - Occean

----------(DeRosario)--(McKenna)

Reasons: I like the back four because they are all young, athletic and still learning. I think the Simpson - (younger) Stalteri comparisons are apt.

My midfield is where I want all the experience and ability to move and use the ball, yet with a little bit of sandpaper and great potential to cross the ball from both flanks.

Up front, I see this as our future strikeforce. Great target guy whose touch and ability to hold up the ball will only get better, and the young dasher who can fly onto flicks or hammer knocked down balls from distance.

As for the subs, I think Fernandez has to be getting some love eventually. Technically, he is the only keeper we have that is at least seeing time in a top flight. Reda and Bernier showed they can be solid once they get a run of games. Peters and Serioux bring speed and competitiveness respectively. DeRosario brings that certain magic off the bench if needed. He will never be tuned in to the game plan, but if down a goal, he may just create something on his own. McKenna belongs up here for good. After Ollie hammers on the centrebacks for 70 mins., Big Kev can step in and keep it up. He actually has a very impressive strike rate and he's young enough to convert full time to centre forward.

Well, that was fun. [^]

I agree man for man with the 19 named by Andrew W. I would add Imhof as the 20th. I would also switch Hutch and Stalteri in the starting formation, and mabe start Imhof, Bernier or Serioux over Grande depending on current form.

Others meriting consideration IMHO are Gervais, Jazic (if still in the plan for 2010), Bent (if he gets a club again), Bircham, DeTullio and Friend.

Archived