So who gets called up for Portugal?

Daniel

I know this will never happen but its important to get our best 11 on the field...

---DeRosario----Occean----Hume---

---Brennan----DeGuzman----Stalteri©---

Simpson--Klukowski--Nsaliwa--Hutchinson

----------Hirschfeld----------

Subs: Mckenna, Peters, Grande, Reda, Bernier, Sutton, Imhof, Serioux

One important thing for me in this friendly is to sort out the backline situation. First, we need to see if Klukowski is the answer on the left side of central defence in the 4-4-2 (is this where he plays with Brugge?). He looks quick, definitely has skill, a good left peg, and he seemed to do a good job positionally during his Northern Ireland appearence. Looks a little thin, so I wonder about his durability. Otherwise, he gives us a viable heir apparent to Menezes. Can he organize the back line?

As Klukowski's partner, we should see what Reda can do: looks strong in the air (that's probably why he stood out in Norway, if their leagues's style of play is the same as its national team's). The bigger issue is how well he handles pacy forwards, because that's what he'll be facing in the Gold Cup and future WCQ. I hope he's quicker than I think.

Simpson as left back impressed me with his recovery speed (tracked down Healy during the blown offside trap vs Northern Ireland), so I would like to see him again. Though I doubt it, I hope Ronaldo gets called up and plays so Simpson (and Hutchison) can get a great work out against a world class winger in his pomp! Brennan at left mid can help out young Josh in this (monumental!) task.

Hutchison should start at right back, with Stalteri providing midfield cover against tricky wing play. Hopefully both young fullbacks will make up for their inexperience with athletic ability/pace.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well I'm not tired of seeing DeRo play. People complain he's one dimensional - as a striker, he should be. He is one-dimensional in this sense - he provides one dimension our strikers typically do not possess, the ability to beat players one on one.

That kind of one on one ability is so important. I do think he tries too hard to make something happen every time he touches the ball, and that's what I saw during WCQ. I admire him for his work ethic, especially in his most recent performance. He wasn't whining about the service he was getting and blaming others for not anticipating his (sometimes questionable) flicks and passes. He keep plugging away at it and finally, very late in the match, combined with Hume to beat two defenders and create a chance on net, albeit off of a defender's deflection.

We never got to see the DeRo/Radz partnership come to fruition as it should have. I think he should continue to be used in a striking role, partnered alongside Hume, with Occean's (or McKenna's?) late game aerial presence coming off the bench.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well I'm not tired of seeing DeRo play. People complain he's one dimensional - as a striker, he should be. He is one-dimensional in this sense - he provides one dimension our strikers typically do not possess, the ability to beat players one on one.

That kind of one on one ability is so important. I do think he tries too hard to make something happen every time he touches the ball, and that's what I saw during WCQ. I admire him for his work ethic, especially in his most recent performance. He wasn't whining about the service he was getting and blaming others for not anticipating his (sometimes questionable) flicks and passes. He keep plugging away at it and finally, very late in the match, combined with Hume to beat two defenders and create a chance on net, albeit off of a defender's deflection.

We never got to see the DeRo/Radz partnership come to fruition as it should have. I think he should continue to be used in a striking role, partnered alongside Hume, with Occean's (or McKenna's?) late game aerial presence coming off the bench.

After watching the Northern Ireland game again, the last five minutes of play have me wanting to re-consider the idea Hume as an offensive midfielder.

I though that Hume and deRosario played well off of each other and off of (albeit a tiring) Occean to create some good chances, in such a short period of time. Hume seems to be great with long-range strikes on net (useful) and works tirelessly to track back and help out in midfield.

Would it be worth having Occean (target forward) and deRosario (withdrawn striker) upfront, with Hume in the hole (not on the wing)? I think that this might create a wonderful offensive trio, backed-up by three defensive midfielders (our strong point), say Brennan, deGuzman and Stalteri (if not in defense) and four defenders.

Just rambling food for thought...

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

We're tired of Dero because we only see him play out of position. When was the last time he played striker? 2003????

Outside of the first 22 minutes of this game, he played striker for the full match against Guatemala in late 2004. And scored the winning goal on another individual effort.

I wasn't exactly tired of seeing him smoke one past the Costa Rican keeper the game before that either, but maybe that's just me. ;)

Portugal are only good if you're afraid of them. The times I've seen them beaten are when teams came out and counterattacked them down the flanks and clogged up the midfield; ie USA in 2002, Greece 2004.

They're fullbacks are suspect, the keeper is short and a bit dodgy with crosses and they get all whingey when you kick their shins!

This is the team that will beat 'em!

------Lars------

--Reda----McKenna

Nsaliwa----Klukowski

-----Attiba----

-------DeGuz----

Stalteri-------Brennan

---------Hume------

-----King Otto---------

DeRo and Peeters off the bench should we need a goal. Simpson squeezing Kluka into the centre and Big Kev going up front when we really want to intimidate their puny keeper. Bernier as a defensive mid.

To be clear on the DeRo issue, I fully agree that I like him as an out and out striker. But in the game versus N Ireland, he was forced to play a different role--because they were down to 10 men--and should have been yanked early in the second half for Hume. Hume has a decent defensive side--some real grit and a willingness to track back. I like DeRo running at players, but I just feel Frank kept him in far too long in a role that is clearly not his forte. (In fact, he is sort of a liability.)

Archived