Peters signs with Ipswich

Champs

Ipswich Town have signed promising teenage winger Jaime Peters.

The 17-year-old (pictured) is already a full Canadian international and arrives in East Anglia after taking trials with Town, Derby County and Premiership giants Manchester United back in the autumn.

Championship rivals Millwall had offered him a deal to join Dennis Wise's side while another Premiership side in Chelsea have also been mentioned with the young North American prodigy.

Peters, however, has decided to follow the footsteps of former Canadian internationals Frank Yallop and Craig Forrest, as well as current Ipswich centre back Jason de Vos, and sign for Joe Royle's side.

The former Kaiserslautern trainee, however, will have to wait in order to make his debut for Ipswich, as international red tape forbids him to play for his new club until he turns 18, which is on May 4.

Royle expressed his delight at having secured the services of youngster Peters.

"Signing Jaime is a great coup for this club," Royle said. "We had two useful allies in Frank Yallop, the former Ipswich player who is now manager of Canada, and our defender Jason de Vos, who captains the Canadians.

"He is an outstanding prospect and will keep active with games for his country at various age levels before coming here and going straight into our first team squad."

One player that has headed out the Portman Road exit door is midfielder Antonio Murray, as he has joined former Ipswich first team coach Tony Mowbray by signing with Scottish Premier League side Hibernian for the rest of the season.

SUNDAY LEAGUE

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

"He is an outstanding prospect and will keep active with games for his country at various age levels before coming here and going straight into our first team squad."

That is the key sentence.

True. If Ipswich don't win promotion. Very, very, hard for me to imagine Jamie Peters even on the bench, never mind the pitch of any Premiership side. And seeing how he'll miss most of the remainder of the season (less playoffs) sort of a curious decision I'd say.

Congradulations and good luck all the same, wee man. Sure you'll make a grand go of it.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

and going straight into our first team squad........

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Read?

I think there may still be work permit issues and the statement may be meant as much for the appeals panel as public consumption. In any event, the fact that the club wants to sign him more or less validates the positive predictions for Mr. Peters. Does anybody know if he qualifies for a work permit? I seem to recall the discussion that he did not.

Im am somewhat confused maybe I dont understand if he requires to be the age of 18 and today he is not 18. Can this forum explain to me what differnce is from yesterday is or the past 1 or two years with other teams, and the future of this kid not turning 18 till may 4, 2005 and how was able to a contract today agaisnt the rules that this forum suggests are in place.

I see nothing has changed as they all could have signed him before the age of 18 regardless anyhow...if they have in fact signed him today. can some clear this up for me

Alberto, I think its simply a case of Jaime taking the time to weigh his options knowing that he wouldn't be allowed to start playing in England until he reached 18 (this is a FIFA rule I believe, plus he can get a work permit at 18).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canadian teenager Jaime Peters signs with England's Ipswich Town

By NEIL DAVIDSON

(CP) - Canadian teenager Jaime Peters, spurning an offer from English league-leader Chelsea, has committed his soccer future to Ipswich Town.

The 17-year-old midfielder from Pickering, Ont., will officially become an Ipswich player once he turns 18 in May. Ipswich, which is also home to Canadian defender Jason deVos, currently tops the League Championship, the old First Division.

"Even though we have seen relatively little of Jaime in action, what was immediately apparent was his sheer quality," manager Joe Royle said in a statement Friday. "As a player he has exceptional pace, he understands the game and anyone playing full international football at 17 must have something special."

Agent Barry MacLean said the decision came down to Ipswich and Chelsea.

"We have been very impressed with the facilities, the quality of people and the family atmosphere of the club," MacLean said of Ipswich. "We really believe that this is the best decision for Jaime's growth in English football."

It's believed Peters chose Ipswich because he saw a better chance of playing first-team soccer there than Chelsea, where Russian billionaire owner Roman Abramovich has assembled a squad filled with international stars.

Ipswich has a history of Canadian ties. Current Canadian national team coach Frank Yallop and former Canadian goalkeeper Craig Forrest both played there.

Peters, who has four caps for the senior Canadian team, also spent time at German club Kaiserslautern.

Most recently Peters has been training with the Canadian under-20 team, which is preparing for a world qualifying tournament later this month.

Notes: Canada has been invited to take part in the Kirin Cup in Japan in May. The Japanese Football Federation has offered to cover all of Canada's expenses but the Canadian Soccer Association is checking to see whether it can meet those dates because it is not part of the international schedule. European players should be available but North American-based players may not be able to get time away from their clubs. Japan won last year's tournament, defeating Serbia and Montenegro. Slovakia also took part. Canada's schedule this year already includes the Gold Cup and friendlies against Northern Ireland and Portugal. ... MLS expansion team Real Salt Lake took U.S. under-17 midfielder Nicolas Besagno with the first pick of Friday's MLS SuperDraft.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/01/14/898742-cp.html

and going straight into our first team squad........

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Read?

Uhm..Unless they said starting XI, it could easily mean ride the pine for the first team, much like Lars Hirschfeld did with Tottenham.

Alex 1 Sean 0

It may be that Peters has qualified for UK residence under the parentage rule rather than the Holiday-maker rule. We know that he has relatives living in Britain, and maybe qualified under the many provisions allowing for residency because of parents or grandparents having British citizenship, or he may have been sponsored (or even) adopted by other relatives (this is more likely, a sthis would explain much of the delay since last summer). In any ebevet, it looks like the paper work is done, and he is ready to roll. Good luck to the lad!

Actually lars was with the reserve squad for most of his time @ spurs not on the bench... And... if other teams were offering Jamie contracts i think he would take the best one no?

Sean 1- Alex M - a big ZERO!

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

Uhm..Unless they said starting XI, it could easily mean ride the pine for the first team, much like Lars Hirschfeld did with Tottenham.

Alex 1 Sean 0

I guess the super-sub was a reserve player too then. Perhaps he took the best one for him and not what you'd consider the best contract. Anyhow, I'm still sketpical because from what I saw, I didn't find him all that impressive for Canada but the talent is certainly there.

Alex 2 Sean 0

Actually lars was with the reserve squad for most of his time @ spurs not on the bench... And... if other teams were offering Jamie contracts i think he would take the best one no?

Sean 1- Alex M - a big ZERO!

Archived