Onstad Bashes CSA (rightly so)

brodycheese

Well with his national team career basically over, except possibly for the game against Guatemala, he has nothing to lose now. Perhaps he is doing what he can post-national team career to make up for his extremely costly blunder in the last game (which is nice to see that he does admit).

I never really had a soft spot for Onstad. But at least he is one of the few players who names Pipe as the culprit rather than always going after the coach.

Pipe is always let off the hook. He never seems to be held accountable for anything.

There is no way he should have survived in his post for the past decade.

well said Pat,, it's nice to see him come clean now and point the finger at who's really at fault here. I know there's still a few people out there that are still so disappointed with us not qualifying that they didn't see this, but I totally agree with Pat when he says this team is turning the corner as far as quality of soccer rather then the old "kick the ball up the field and hope for the best" style we played up until recently. Yes we had some bad breaks, and we are another 4 long years away, but on the right track, now if we can only get some change at the leadership post in the CSA

Does Pipe or anybody at the CSA know what Onstad said or will they do as usual "critics dont pass the door" ?

I hope some other players that are for a while in the team (like Devos) will react to that (and maybe confirm)

When the Voyageurs say something, they just don't care

I hope now a player who has been well treated and don't have ton complain confirms, he will be heard...

Thanks Pat

Maybe the selection of Onstad costs us the World cup but in exchange he would provoce some revolution at the CSA ?

I know, I'm a dreamer...

I know that few, if any of us, truly understand what happens within the CSA--we simply do not have first-hand experience of the inner workings of the beast--but I must admit I am a little concerned when I hear that Pipe has been at the helm for so damned long. In very few instances is it be beneficial to any organization to have the same person at the helm for so long. (ie Conrad Black, Chretien etc etc).

I fear that Pipe may be resting too heavily on the laurels of our U19 success and WNT success at the last World Cup. I suspect he is applying principles that were successful for those programs to the Men's program, despite the fact that the differences and needs of each program is very large indeed. I cannot support this feeling with any solid proof, except to suggest that the sort of funding the men need has been clearly underestimated. (I would actually suggest that the WNT, as exemplified by our not qualifying for the Olympics, was also sorely under financed. The team was clearly not ready for the tournament. They needed to play 3 or 4 good warm-up friendlies--sound familiar--and were simply out-of-shape and out-of-synch.

Time for Pipe to move on? It sounds like now is the time to do so, Kevin. The Men did not qualify for the WC, the Women did not qualify for the Olympics, both because of poor preparation, preparation that would have been possible had the funds been there.

Now, the big question: Does the CSA even have the money for this? And if not, do we have evidence that they are working hard to find it?

As one of Onstad's biggest critics, I have to say he may not be a quality keeper but he has always struck me as a quality guy in every interview I have read with him. Good on him for taking responsibility for the goal, the CSA and Pipe need to take equal responsibility for their part in the qualifying debacle. I give credit to all the guys like Hastings, Fenwick and Onstad who have responded to every callup even if their play hasn't been what I would hope for from a national team player.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I know that few, if any of us, truly understand what happens within the CSA--we simply do not have first-hand experience of the inner workings of the beast--but I must admit I am a little concerned when I hear that Pipe has been at the helm for so damned long. In very few instances is it be beneficial to any organization to have the same person at the helm for so long. (ie Conrad Black, Chretien etc etc).

I fear that Pipe may be resting too heavily on the laurels of our U19 success and WNT success at the last World Cup. I suspect he is applying principles that were successful for those programs to the Men's program, despite the fact that the differences and needs of each program is very large indeed. I cannot support this feeling with any solid proof, except to suggest that the sort of funding the men need has been clearly underestimated. (I would actually suggest that the WNT, as exemplified by our not qualifying for the Olympics, was also sorely under financed. The team was clearly not ready for the tournament. They needed to play 3 or 4 good warm-up friendlies--sound familiar--and were simply out-of-shape and out-of-synch.

Time for Pipe to move on? It sounds like now is the time to do so, Kevin. The Men did not qualify for the WC, the Women did not qualify for the Olympics, both because of poor preparation, preparation that would have been possible had the funds been there.

Now, the big question: Does the CSA even have the money for this? And if not, do we have evidence that they are working hard to find it?

Hmm, I think money not the major problem. It's what you do with it.

Most of our opposition in CONCACAF would die for our CSA budget.

Unlike the men, the women had lots of preparation (going to the Algarve before the Olympic qualifiers was not needed, they were still recovering from the Chineses trip). It was the same problem in the Olympic qualifying player selection and tactics, and failure to adjust to the circumstances throughout the match. All the money in the world would not have helped the ridiculous attempt to kick the long ball against the wind against teams that knew exactly what Canada was going to unthinkingly do every second. Likewise for our men, who have the additional problem of getting released from club duty.

If we succeed in Thailand next month, it's because Bridge contiued the smart adjustments he made in Ottawa last spring. If we succeed in the U-20's next year, it's because Mitchell will have continued improving on his formula which was so successful in UAE.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Hmm, I think money not the major problem. It's what you do with it.

Most of our opposition in CONCACAF would die for our CSA budget.

Unlike the men, the women had lots of preparation (going to the Algarve before the Olympic qualifiers was not needed, they were still recovering from the Chineses trip). It was the same problem in the Olympic qualifying player selection and tactics, and failure to adjust to the circumstances throughout the match. All the money in the world would not have helped the ridiculous attempt to kick the long ball against the wind against teams that knew exactly what Canada was going to unthinkingly do every second. Likewise for our men, who have the additional problem of getting released from club duty.

If we succeed in Thailand next month, it's because Bridge contiued the smart adjustments he made in Ottawa last spring. If we succeed in the U-20's next year, it's because Mitchell will have continued improving on his formula which was so successful in UAE.

Beaches--I was always under the impression that you DO have CSA insider information. Am I right in thinking you worked for the CSA or have somehow been affiliated in the past? My point--I think I have one--is that it is one thing to say that the money is available but has been poorly spent (likely), but another thing entirely to say the money was never there in the first place. I take your point about our CONCACAF competiton somehow finding cash to make their qualifying a success, competition that generally does not have nearly the cash resources our country has. But do we know for sure that Honduras has a smaller budget than the CSA? I mean, I don't doubt the CSA has better funding, but I'd rather not make assumptions based on heresay. (I guess what I am asking is for you to say: "Beaver, believe me, we have the cash." And I'll believe you.)

One other note--yes, the tactics our women employed in qualifying for the Olympics were atrocious and useless etc. If Pellerud thinks such tactics will work much longer, he's sorely behind the times. Latin America alone will outstrip us. Still, aside from one or two players that saw action in that tournament, our team was pathetically out of shape and out of synch. Preparation WAS a problem.

Perhaps the reason that we are so underfunded ( as Onstad is alluding to) compared to other national sides might be because the womens progams garner a larger portion of the funding pie compared to other countries. I'd be curious to know in other soccer associations what % of the total budget goes to womens soccer programs compared to Canada.

Interestingly, Looking at it from a distance, the womens teams do not look to be at a disadvantage fundingwise when they take the pitch

Good for Pat. Tell it like it is.

As for the budget issue, I'm quite sure our Central American collegues may covet the CSA

budget but keep in mind the standard of living in this country and the associated costs.

If a soccer ball costs $35 Canadian here, it doesn't in many Third World countries.

Plus we have an extensive Women's program, a lack of a league, and huge distances to cover.

Compare our budget to the USA, or any UEFA, or Japan or Korea or Australia. Our budget

is miniscule, and is reflected in the number of prep games, and eventually the results.

I wouldn't go too far and call Mr. Pipe any names, but I wish he would face the music

and SAY SOMETHING. If you won't quit, at least SAY SOMETHING and account for yourself.

CSA doesnt have to fund the MNT to any specific level.

It is arbritary on their own onus.

CSA has no effective or resonable way of allowing or accepting any request of removal for anyone in a CSA position from their membership.

IT cant be done.

And their is certainly no way to remove PIPE or anyone else regardless of their incompetence and certainly not because the MNT have failed or not been funded adequately.

Even at the Provincial level if you criticize the OSA or a member you will be threatened or ignored its standard operating procedures.

Look at the two voyageur forums and the OSA soccerweb forum if anyone criticizes the CSA the CSA member in the forum will threaten lawsuit or immediately call them names and ask for the criticizer to be removed from the forum. Apparently its only an open forum if you support the CSA.

Its not accidental , its intentional that they are essentially omnipotent they have worked at accomplishing this for over 25 years.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

Onstad should be taking goalkeeping lessons instead of bashing the CSA,

oops i forgot he is taking lessons.......from Stevie Wonder.

Just can't live without throwing out something negative can you?

Your support isn't wanted or needed anymore-if it can be called support. Just go away...

Echo a couple of thoughts already mentioned.

Twenty years is a long time as Chief Executive in any organization. Successful decades or no. It was time to move on 10 years ago. It's way past time now.

Pipe will argue that given the "networks" that exist within FIFA and CONCACAF you need this sort of continuity. True to an extent, but depending on what you think the CSA has or has not accomplished over those years you might think Pipe and his crew have been outside that network for far too long.

As to the budget I think you'll find the CSA has spent sweet fu'k all on the men's NT program the last couple of years. By anyone's measurments. I still want to know what happened to all that bonus Libya money from two years ago.

Saying it again. Every soccer player in Canada is taxed by the CSA yet we are unable to have any direct say in the CSA operations or executive except through our provincial representation. What the hell's with that?

P.S. I still don't think funding sunk our WC hopes. I think Pat could find plenty of criticism for others in authority, not just the CSA.

Beaver. Don't have any special insider information, never had a position in the CSA hierarchy, can't say anything definitive about the amount of the budget. Have been a voulunteer for CSA events since 1967, off and on, but no position. Just silently keep my ear to the ground and my eyes on the blazers.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Beaver. Don't have any special insider information, never had a position in the CSA hierarchy, can't say anything definitive about the amount of the budget. Have been a voulunteer for CSA events since 1967, off and on, but no position. Just silently keep my ear to the ground and my eyes on the blazers.

Fair enough, my friend. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Just can't live without throwing out something negative can you?

Your support isn't wanted or needed anymore-if it can be called support. Just go away...

Where in this mess of WCQ can you find any positive thing to say

about our national team. Did they look good in the games they played?

answer.........no Did they play the best football possible?.......no

Did we have the best coaching stff possible?..............no.

So i dare you sir to find a postive in this WCQ campaign. this

shouldn't take long:D

Archived