Davidson: Canucks Enjoy Freedom Under Yallop

Canucks enjoy freedom under Yallop

By NEIL DAVIDSON

KINGSTON, Ont. (CP) - New coach Frank Yallop may still be fine-tuning Canada's performance on the soccer pitch, but he has already made his mark off it.

Canada, up 4-0 as it approaches the return leg of a qualifying series with Belize on Wednesday, is all smiles as it takes the first step on the road to the 2006 World Cup. The Canadian team has been together for close to three weeks, with games against Wales and the San Jose Earthquakes already under their belts. It is their first long stint under Yallop and so far the reviews from the veterans have all been positive.

Yallop is serious on the field, but gives his players plenty of freedom the rest of the time. There are some team meals, but often the squad is allowed to do its own thing. The atmosphere is professional but relaxed.

"We come here and we're not treated like kids," an appreciative Paul Peschisolido said Monday. "As long as we do the business on the pitch, work hard in training, work hard in the games. Then what we do with our spare time is our own.

"We're professionals, we know how to behave."

Peschisolido was so unhappy with the Canadian regimen under former coach Holger Osieck, he stopped playing for the national team. Mark Watson and Marc Bircham did the same.

All are back in the fold.

"You've got to let them enjoy themselves," Yallop said Monday after practice, a light workout following Sunday's 4-0 first-leg win over Belize.

"They're away for three weeks. It's a long time. A lot of them are taking time out of their off-season. I can't make it like a prison camp. And I wouldn't anyway. This is the way I act, I do it.

"When we train, we train correctly. And when we play games, we play correctly. All the other stuff - let them enjoy it, let them do their thing . . . It lightens the load on their minds. They're not thinking about the game, they're not having meetings, they're not sitting looking at each other every dinner time. . .. They're adults and they handle it well."

Or as one veteran said: "We're no longer prisoners in our hotel rooms."

Yallop's approach works for star striker Tomasz Radzinski, whose days of spotty national team attendance are well behind him.

"I've seen the last two weeks, it's not only the football that's improved but also the atmosphere of the team," he said after the Belize game Sunday. "Frank makes it easy for everybody. We just go out for training every morning and nobody wants to leave . . . because it's just so much fun."

Radzinski reckons he will have just 2 1/2 weeks off after Wednesday, given his international duties and pre-season in England. But he's not complaining.

"Because this is not really work right now. This is really fun. Frank made it so nice and we're enjoying it. So for me it's a little bit of a holiday."

Adding to the festive spirit Sunday was the presence of Radzinski's parents, who live in Toronto, and a bevy of friends.

Radzinski wasn't quite as sunny Monday, however. He blew off one of the two reporters at practice because he was unhappy at his game report.

There are also reports he has asked Everton for a transfer because he is dissatisfied with its contract offer.

Radzinski scored against Belize and had plenty of chances to add to his total. Despite the misses, he showed flashes of the speed and guile that have taken him to the top level in England.

"In any given game, at any stage, he's got a chance of scoring," said Yallop. "With his pace and his finishing, he can unsettle defences.

"I don't think maybe the surface (Sunday at Richardson Stadium) suited him, to be honest. He's used to, like we all are, we're used to the European surface which is slick and (where) we can knock the ball around."

Peschisolido also cited the poor field for some of the missed chances Sunday.

"It does make a bit of a leveller. It is quite bobbly. . . . It does make for hard finishing."

Notes: Yallop will name his squad Tuesday for the return match against Belize but said Monday he will play Watson in the holding midfield role Daniel Imhof filled Sunday. Yallop plans to give everybody in the squad a run.

WHAT THE F*** IS WATSON ODING IN THE MIDFEILD HOLY S*** THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE.

Good call Massive Attack, i bet all watson had to do was ask Frank and that was it.....Just wait.....for our first game in the next round watson will parter with Radz up front

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

If this isn't proof that Yallop is playing Watson because they're buddies, I don't know what is.

I don't know if I would call it proof exactly. But it certainly is compelling evidence.[B)] I'll mark it exhibit B.

At first I thought the Watson in midfield thing was a joke, so I went to slam.canoe.ca and found Neil Davidson's article for myself just to confirm it and it's true! Watson in midfield. In a related story, the price of snow blowers in hell has gone through the roof.

Also, Lars Hirschfeld is going to play attacking mid, Iain Hume and Morgan Quarry are going to be the centre backs and Dale Mitchell will playing up front in hopes of breaking his deadlock with John Catliff as the all-time leading scorer for Canada. (All of the above is sarcasm except for Watson in playing midfield which is, sadly, true.)

I do not understand this at all. The best explanation I can think of is that Yallop is using this match to 'experiment' with the lineup. Let's hope the experiement only lasts one match.

Guest Georgio
quote:Notes: Yallop will name his squad Tuesday for the return match against Belize but said Monday he will play Watson in the holding midfield role Daniel Imhof filled Sunday. Yallop plans to give everybody in the squad a run.

I was thinking about Bircham too. Why he didn't get a shot and I asked the same question in the game thread.

This may be a mistake on Neil's part. I think he meant to say Bircham but said Watson ... because he then goes on to say that Yallop plans to give everyone on the team a chance to play. Why would he say that after meantioning Watson who already got to play the whole first game. So this is why I believe and hope to God that he meant Bircham.

On the upside, Watson can do less damage in the midfield. He of course is also more likely to pick up cards. I could almost see what Frank was thinking with Watson in the back. A vet, it's not like we have anyone else who has proven (I think that's the key word) that they're head-and-shoulders better. But d-mid. We're stacked at d-mid: Imhof, Bircham, Bent, tCMNTP FKA Aguiar, Stalteri, Hutchinson . . .

All that being said, Frank has them playing attractive attacking soccer and made two great subs Sunday. Maybe he knows what he's doing. Moves like these make me wonder, but we shall see.

cheers,

matthew

PS G-L I'll phone you in a couple of hours.

PPS anyone see me on MuchMusic yesterday? I was soooooo loaded.

Hope Yallup knows that credibility takes a long time to build and only one moment to lose it. Watson doesn't belong as a starter. There may, however, be some merit in keeping him around because he is accessible.

But playing him in midfield is not what you want.. Unless, this is Yallup's way to cover an experament in the back line like say Hutchinson? Then if the experament fails, he can simply have them switch positions. We can only hope.

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

This may be a mistake on Neil's part. I think he meant to say Bircham but said Watson ... because he then goes on to say that Yallop plans to give everyone on the team a chance to play. Why would he say that after meantioning Watson who already got to play the whole first game.

Exactly - I thought the very same thing. This must be a mistake, it doesn't make any sense in the context of the article, and though spelled differently they are both "Marc/k"'s after all. It is even possible that Yallop said to him "I'm going to play Marc as the holding midfielder" and Neil thought he meant "Mark". But I suspect it is simply a case of putting Watson's name down by accident instead of Bircham. I can't imagine Yallop being insane enough to play Watson for the first time in his career in midfield now that he's slowing down when, outside of Imhof, you've got Bircham, Atiba, Klukowski and hell even Stalteri in that position. Given that I don't think Yallop's insane and the sentence following suggests it is somebody who didn't play on Sunday that he is referring to, I expect to see Bircham in the role tomorrow.

And please don't prove me wrong, Frank!

Guest Georgio

I say he should be forced to retract the entire article and re-write a new one for putting everybody under so much stress. ;)

quote:Yallop will name his squad Tuesday for the return match against Belize but said Monday he will play Watson in the holding midfield role Daniel Imhof filled Sunday. Yallop plans to give everybody in the squad a run.

After reading this again, I have to agree.. this must be a mistake. Davidson is saying that Yallop is planning to give everyone time on the pitch, so it makes sense that "Marc" and "Mark" are being confused.

Talk about heart attack though...

Yes, for the love of Frank, please tell me that Neil got the wrong last name. Bircham in the holding role--that makes sense. Also, get Watson's ass off the pitch. Let's see what Kluka or Hutch or McKenna could do playing along side DeVos. In fact, put Yallop in or Mitchell or Kara Lang--anything but Watson. I know this sounds harsh, and I want Watson to know that I have nothing but respect for all the years he's given to our national team, but there is a time to hang up the boots, and we all know that that time has come.

If, on the other hand, Watson does play in the mid, then my theory is that Yallop had concerns about Watson in D, and now wants to see if there is any point in keeping him on the squad. A run out in mid for Watson is tantamount to giving a lad just enough rope to hang himself. Now that I think about it, I don't think Frank would do that to Watson.

Vive le Canadian Cucumber Libre!!

The biggest danger in playing Watson and Onstad for that matter as well is that the world cup is still TWO YEARS AWAY!! You have to coach assuming you will be there in 2006. Yallop is giving valuable time to guys who will be close to the senior centre by the time 2006 rolls around. So....... WHY give time to guys who are just gonna deteriorate when the guys you will need are sitting on the sidelines.

<center>About Holger Osi</u>ek</center></u>

Despite of Holger Osiek's strict demeanor, I get this impression that the players really hated this guy really badly. From Bircham, Peschisolido, Watson, etc... none of these players have any pleasant praising for the former coach. In fact, as much as they hated the former coach, I am now convinced that Osiek was forced out under some secret coup d'etat, orchestrated by the players themselves. It looks to me that the players went up to Andy Sharpe and said: Is either us or Osiek. Even though Osiek was a strict military Prussian, he deserves some respect. I really despise the theme of the article, especially when it sates that the players were somewhat living under a German dictatorship, and that the players were not giving any chance of freedom.

Let's look at the positive things that Osiek left behind. He managed to organize the infrastructure of our youth system by opening all these youth facilities (soccer centers) across Canada, including the last one in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I just hope that the CSA continue the progress that Osiek left behind. His success at the Gold Cup made Canadians to re-evaluate the issue of a pro-league, know under the CUSL. Even though the CUSL never left the launch pad, at least he made us open our eyes.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

In fact, as much as they hated the former coach, I am now convinced that Osiek was forced out under some secret coup d'etat, orchestrated by the players themselves.

You don't think it could have anything to do with the results on the field?

Canada 0 Cuba 2

Canada 1 Costa Rica 0

Canada 1 Germany 4

Canada 1 Estonia 2

Canada 4 Libya 2

Canada 0 USA 4

Canada 1 Scotland 3

Inconsistent to say the least. Canada should have gone further in the last gold cup, they didn't so the coach got the axe. works for me.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

You don't think it could have anything to do with the results on the field?

Canada 0 Cuba 2

Canada 1 Costa Rica 0

Canada 1 Germany 4

Canada 1 Estonia 2

Canada 4 Libya 2

Canada 0 USA 4

Canada 1 Scotland 3

Inconsistent to say the least. Canada should have gone further in the last gold cup, they didn't so the coach got the axe. works for me.

I could answer this question by stating that the players did it by purpose to lose these games because they wanted Osiek gone badly. The loss of these games were part of the coup d'etat. These players were plotting the removal of Osiek at any rate, including losing games (of which was the price to pay).

Archived