Miller announces roster for friendlies

Jarrek

MILLER ANNOUNCES ROSTER FOR CZECH REPUBLIC ABND REPUBLIC OF IRELAND FRIENDLIES

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s World Cup Team interim Head Coach Colin Miller today announced his roster for the upcoming international friendlies against the Czech Republic in Teplice, Czech Republic on Saturday, November 15 and the Republic of Ireland on Tuesday, November 18 in Dublin.

Returning to the national team for the first time since 1999 is midfielder Fernando Aguiar. Aguiar, who has been capped 13 times for Canada and last played in a friendly against Saudi Arabia in 1999, plays with Benfica in Portugal.

Nick Dasovic is available as a player for the Czech Republic game before leaving for Turkey to join up with the Youth team as they prepare for the FIFA World Youth Championships in UAE. Dasovic is an assistant coach to Dale Mitchell with the Youth team.

Mark Rogers and Patrice Bernier earn their first call-ups since the Estonia friendly. Rogers plays for Wycombe Wanderers in the English Second Division while Bernier scored in his final game for Moss FK in Norway on November 1.

Captain Jason deVos also marks his return from surgery on his broken foot, which caused him to miss the Finland friendly last month and the last three months with Wigan Athletic.

Miller has also chosen former national team goalkeeper Paul Dolan as his assistant. Dolan, who played for Canada in the 1986 World Cup and made 52 appearances for his country, will work with goalkeepers Lars Hirschfeld and Kenny Stamatopoulos.

Canadian Roster For Czech Republic and Republic of Ireland Friendlies

Name Position Club Date of Birth Caps Goals/Shutouts

Lars Hirschfeld GK Tottenham Hotspur, English Premier 10/17/78 14 4

Kenny Stamatopoulos GK Enkopping, Swedish Premier 8/28/79 1 0

Paul Fenwick D Hibernian, Scottish Premier 8/25/69 31 0

Mark Rogers D Wycombe Wanderers, English Second Div. 11/3/77 4 0

Jason deVos D Wigan Athletic, English First Division 1/2/74 41 3

Richard Hastings D/M MV Maastricht, Dutch Second Division 5/18/77 34 1

Nick Dasovic D/M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/5/68 60 2

Ante Jazic D/M Rapid Vienna, Austrian 2/27/76 3 0

Paul Stalteri D/M Werder Bremen, German Bundesliga 10/18/77 45 6

Kevin McKenna D/M/F Heart of Midlothian, Scottish Premier 1/21/80 19 6

Patrice Bernier M Moss FK, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 0 0

Marc Bircham M Queen’s Park Rangers, English Second Div. 5/11/78 14 1

Jason Bent M Plymouth Argyle, English Second Division 3/8/77 29 0

Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 19 0

Fernando Aguiar M Benfica, Portuguese First Division 3/18/72 13 0

Martin Nash M Dallas Sidekicks, MISL 12/27/75 27 2

Tomasz Radzinski F Everton, English Premier 12/14/73 17 4

Paul Peschisolido F Sheffield United, English First Division 5/25/71 46 9

Staff

Terry Quinn Head of Delegation

Colin Miller Head Coach

Paul Dolan Assistant Coach

Brian Ratcliffe Equipment Manager

Greg Bay Physiotherapist

Dave Foley Physiotherapist

Morgan Quarry Team Manager/Media Officer

Sanjay Gupta Doctor

For more information please contact:

Morgan Quarry (613) 237-4580 ext: 230 or media@soccercan.ca

Richard Ivan (613) 237-4580 ext.: 242 or rivan@soccercan.ca

Visit our web site at www.canadasoccer.com

I sure wish Reda had been asked to attend.

Anyhow, any predictions at a starting line-up? Here is my line-up:

Hirsch

Bent DeVos McKenna Hastings

Imhoff Stalteri Aguiar Jazic

Radzinski Pesch.

I would also consider Bent on the right mid, and would consider McKenna up front with Radz. We are very thin on strikers.

Kind of funny to see Martin listed as a MISL (indoor) player, when heading out to play the Czech Republic and Ireland.

Why Reda doesn't get called, when we call Bernier from Norway's 2nd tier and Fenwick/Rogers from the press box, is beyond me. Glad to see Bernier though.

Guess Xausa's days are over. We could have used another forward instead of "midfielder-for-life" Dasovic.

Pretty solid line-up, considering that the "keeds" were not available.

Dasovic? I hope he's only there as cover for our backline which is admittedly pretty thin as it is.

I hope De Vos is healthy enough to go 90 minutes or else things could be pretty sketchy. I also hope Radz and Pesch have enough gas that we don't need to use McKenna up front. According to reports, McKenna is doing a fine job in the back for Hearts, so hopefully he'd be useful for us back there as well.

Nash getting called up surprised me a bit. Since he's been playing indoor, he'd probably only be useful as a sub. Glad to see Bernier get the invite, but it would be nice if Reda got a shot too.

We are pretty thin at the striker position after Pesch & Radz (who I hope work together better than they did in the first half against Finland). Stalteri could be used up there as well I guess, but I don't understand why Xausa wasn't called instead of leaving a roster spot open for Nick Dasovic who is leaving to go coach in the middle of the two friendlies!

And of course, the non-calling of Marco Reda makes no sense whatsoever, that I can see, especially since two guys that sit in the press box for their teams (who are probably at the same level as Reda's team) are being called instead. I am at least glad that Bernier was called, hopefully we will see him against the Czechs if Bent & Bircham are (as is likely or confirmed) unavailable for club duty reasons.

Nice to see Dolan getting back invovled. Also surprised about Nash. No offense to Marty (we know what he can do) but I was hoping that if we were going to pick a midfielder who is currently playing indoor in the US that it would be a little fellow that plays in San Diego.

Starting line-up from this squad vs. the Czechs (assuming Bent & Bircham aren't there), hmmm....let me think.

Hirshfeld

Imhof De Vos McKenna Hastings

Stalteri Aguiar Bernier Jazic

Pesch Radz

About 5 months ago if somebody had told me that there was a very realistic chance of Aguiar Jazic & Bernier starting in the midfield in a friendly against the Czech Republic, followed by Bircham playing a few days later for us against the Irish, I would have told them they were full of sour owl poop. Its amazing how things can change in a few months.

Guest Can. in UK

(Just listening to the Everton/Blackburn match right now... the announcers keep re-iterating that Radzinski is Everton's only glimmer of hope.)

Anyways...

My starting XI for what it's worth:

Hirschfeld

Jazic - De Vos - McKenna - Hastings/Rogers

Imhof - Aguiar - Bircham - Stalteri

Pesch - Radzinski

Not our strongest line-up but at least all our best players are playing at some level.

I doubt De Vos will play the full match and I McKenna may see some time up front.

The Czech game could get really ugly in the second half. (prediction: 4-1 loss)

No real major surprises, except for the Reda omission and

the surprise appearance of Dasovic again.

Nice to see Aguiar, Jazic, and Bircham in the same fold with

Tomasz also available. I would not be surprised to see McKenna

upfront again, if Stalteri plays back or covering in midfield.

This roster is filled with players having second chances again,

including Martin Nash who I feel is underrated but seemingly able

to create chances in a lot of instances. I'm also glad to see Paul Dolan involved, as we need a lot of veteran guidance for our young keepers. These friendlies are perfect chances to experiment and see how we stack up with the top sides.

"martin nash, martin nash. your brother has all the cash."

- cheer from Foxboro Gold Cup

Marco Reda was not called as interim coach Miller is not familiar with him or with his play. Miller feels that there are enogh centre defenders in the team as it stands.

I agree with the sentiment that Reda would have been a preferable pick to Fenwick for sure! This was a missed opportunity.

AS for Xausa, there are concerns about his attitude in the Canadian squad, and these are unresolved at the moment. Still, it wold have been better for him to be included instead of a spot being wasted on Dasovic!

Cheers!

Guest Jeffery S.

What is really frustrating about this does not have to do with Miller: our best young players are away, these are our veterans. Some day, I do believe, we shall overcome with a whole damn squad. But for now this is all we can expect.

I wonder if Reda felt he needed a break after the season ended. I recall he had injury probs a few months back, maybe he needs mending or has been playing sore. Otherwise you don't call up a guy from the lower 2nd division of Norway when another from the middle of the first is available. But I'm sure Bernier will do us proud.

With our striking a bit thin and needing on the ground service, we can't play Stalteri in the back this time. I would prefer Pesch and Radz up front with Stalteri behind them, and Aguiar behind him holding. Put two of Imhof, Bircham, Bernier and Bent on the sides. As McKenna is holding up well at Hearts lately, he should go beside de Vos in the middle. Between the two we are in good stead for set plays, so we need to work the ball into the corners and hope for a few of them so they can have a shot at heading for goal. Aguiar also gets forward well and has a strong long shot. Outside back Jazic should go, along with either Hastings or Imhof if he is not in the middle. As Jason is not yet game fit the best way to go vs. the Czechs is let him know he'll play a half and a bit more, so he can go all out and not have to pace himself. Here certainly Reda could have been a nice guarantee in the middle.

The weak spot I see then would be Hastings' side, since he has not been really hot for us lately. He'll need some cover from his side's midfielder tracking back. And having Aguiar, who played centre back a few games for Benfica in the pre-season, could also mean a bit of help in the middle back.

We are going to have trouble vs. the Czechs, but since the last game vs. Finland we started flat, this time I hope we come out a bit more like the Germany game and can hold them down for at least half an hour. Gonna be fun, too bad I'll only get to watch Ireland surrounded by a throng of them in some pub here in BCN.

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

Marco Reda was not called as interim coach Miller is not familiar with him or with his play. Miller feels that there are enogh centre defenders in the team as it stands.

Well if he's not familiar with Reda, surely this was the perfect opportunity to find out!

And I don't think it was a question of calling Reda in addition to Rogers & Fenwick, but rather instead of one of those two (particularly as they sit in the press box while Reda usually starts for his club - all one has to do is go to an internet cafe to know that much).

Thanks for the info, though.

Two true forwards? There's no way Radz. is going to play 90 min. in two hard friendlys and return to Everton with rubber legs. And he's sure as hell's not going to play as a lone striker to any effect.

5-4-1? Plug the middle and leave the flanks? Play for corners and hope to get one off a set play? Got to give this a think.

we could sure use iain humes energy up front against the czechs.mackenna has really picked up his game lately for hearts.dont be surprised to see mackenna up front against ireland.not much youth on this canadian squad.our under 23s could match up with millers picks easy.last chance for aguiar?radz will probably only play a half against the czechs.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Im a fan of nash, i love his crossing (he took the free-kick that gave us our only goal against germany...)

he's very good.

He's very good at crossing the ball. No doubt. Dead ball situations suit him best. The plaudits kind of end there. Unfortunately there is no DH in soccer.

When we consider that Miller may be there just temporarely until the final selection is announced next week or so, I don't consider the absence of Reda as crucial. The new coach will need to see all the players all over again anyway and make his own list of favorites. It seems there is a lot or rebuilding to be done.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

He's very good at crossing the ball. No doubt. Dead ball situations suit him best. The plaudits kind of end there. Unfortunately there is no DH in soccer.

I'll echo that. I don't even want to think what the Czeck's will make of his "defending". I'd have thought Bircham and Brennan would've pushed him off the 1st team. No Brennan. Guessing Bircham's not making both matchs.

Archived