Miller announces roster for friendlies

Jarrek

Can someone let me know what we can expect from Patrice Bernier?Is he capable of moving the ball up to the strikers?What is his forte?

Anyone else think that Miller reads this board?Aguiar,Jazic,Bircham,Pesch all back in the fold since he's become caretaker.If he does I hope he takes Jeffery S gameplan into consideration.Very smart tactics against an excellent team.

If Xausa's days are over can the same be said for Menezes?This guy looked great when he first suited up for us.We have to find a way to get him back.I wish we had more info on his absence.He is too good to just simply forget about.

QPR asked for Bircham's services this Saturday as soon as the two friendlies were announced, because they said they needed all their players available for their game against the league leaders (Plymouth). Later, Argyle asked if they could keep Bent for this Saturday when they were hit by suspension and injury problems in midfield. The Plymouth manager, Paul Sturrock, confirmed yesterday that Bent was going to Dublin next week but not the Czech Republic this weekend. Am surprised that the CSA has not mentioned that in the squad announcement.

A Norman Da Costa article in the Toronto Star today also mentioned what Rupert posted (that Bircham & Bent are only there for the Irish friendly). It also mentions that De Vos is likely to play 45 minutes against the Czechs & 30 minutes against the Irish. Miller states that Radzinski is very much looking forward to butting heads with his old buddy Koller.

A Norman Da Costa article in the Toronto Star today also mentioned what Rupert posted (that Bircham & Bent are only there for the Irish friendly). It also mentions that De Vos is likely to play 45 minutes against the Czechs & 30 minutes against the Irish. Miller states that Radzinski is very much looking forward to butting heads with his old buddy Koller.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Can someone let me know what we can expect from Patrice Bernier?Is he capable of moving the ball up to the strikers?What is his forte?

He is an offensive player and A technical type who is athletic and possesses good pace. Can play an striker or and attacking MF role. But I do not believe that he has ever been employed in a central MF role. Logically, I am quite certain that Miller will either use him as strikers role or perhaps as a winger to replace Brennan who is absent. He does possess good pace.

The knock on him, from what I have here and elsewhere, is his consistancy.

DeVos is going to play part time. While he is in I think that we should be playing with as close a facsimilie to the backline we may use in WC Qualifying. I would play a back line of:

Stalteri McKenna DeVos Jazic

in both games while DeVos is in. I still prefer Nsaliwa at right back with Stalteri in the midfield, simply because Tam's quick feet make him harder to beat one on one than Diesel (I like that one Cheeta, so I am going to use it). But Stalteri is the next best choice in Tam's absence. I think Hastings leaves something wanting at left back, and I'd like to see Jazic play in this position to get a guage of his worth. He has not impressed me in the midfield thus far. Once DeVos goes out, then rip it all apart. Move Stalteri into the midfield and put Imhoff at right back. Move McKenna up top and put Fenwick and Rogers in at centre back. I think McKenna is going to have to get some minutes at striker as I don't see Pesch and Radzinski going 90 minutes both games. Perhaps 90 and 45 each. But for the time that DeVos plays, play the best choice back line, and lets start to develop some understanding back there.

I think that maybe part of the reason that Nash and Bernier were called up was that they have the versatility to play striker if necessary. Obviously, this isn't ideal, but I'd sooner see one of them up front then McKenna, because putting Kevin at forward would leave a hole at the back.

The answer to this may have been posted somewhere already, but I am wondering if Jim Brennan is injured? I have not seen his name for a while...

Also, It was a bit of a shock not to see a third goalkeeper for this tour. It would have been nice to see Onstad, but lets all hope he can steer San Jose to a championship. Who is next in the goalkeeper peking order after Kenny Stamatopoulos?

I can answer your first question. Brennan is still injured. We called him up in our squad for the Finland friendly, but that must have been an uninformed decision because he backed out because of his injury. He hasn't played for Norwich all season.

I'm not sure how our goalie depth chart looks right now. I guess we can assume the top 3 are:

1) Hirschfeld, 2) Onstad, 3) Stamatopoulos.

After that, maybe Sutton (Montreal Impact) or another of the domestic-based keepers. Maybe one of the younger ones (Fernandes, that Serbian guy).

Archived