Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Preliminary Round - Pacific v TSS Rovers - May 1, 2024

12 hours ago, nolando said:

It's signing season for the senior teams at TSS, and they recently announced a bunch of players, including Nima Moazani, who played for Vancouver FC last year.

Would be fun if they could give another CPL team a stiff test.

https://www.tssfc.ca/rovers-men

A few former CanPL players on the roster:

Matteo Polisi (Pacific)
Nima Zadeh (Vancouver)
Fugo Segawa (York)
Ivan Mejia (Vancouver)

On 4/29/2024 at 6:43 AM, nolando said:

It's signing season for the senior teams at TSS, and they recently announced a bunch of players, including Nima Moazani, who played for Vancouver FC last year.

Would be fun if they could give another CPL team a stiff test.

Sounds like there's a bit of a bug going through Pacific right now as well?

I imagine we'll see a rotated squad, depending on health. We've only really controlled the play against Valour so far, so it'll be interesting to see what our approach is. Cup games always make me nervous 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Cup games always make me nervous 

That's the sign of an important Cup. And as a Whitecaps who's watched them repeatedly blow it in almost unimaginative ways, let me tell you it doesn't get any easier. 😉

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I imagine we'll see a rotated squad, depending on health. We've only really controlled the play against Valour so far, so it'll be interesting to see what our approach is. Cup games always make me nervous 

Cup games are always nervous-making, especially the single knock out rounds.  It is also what makes them so much fun.

The squad rotation thing for games among teams from different leagues is always an interesting question for this tournament.  The gap between the CPL and L1 (or MLS and the CPL) is large but not overwhelmingly so.  Meaning the higher team does have room to rotate but can't just go in for a wholesale B lineup.

It's a lot of fun to watch.  And, when it's not your team, to cheer for the underdogs.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Cup games are always nervous-making, especially the single knock out rounds.  It is also what makes them so much fun.

The squad rotation thing for games among teams from different leagues is always an interesting question for this tournament.  The gap between the CPL and L1 (or MLS and the CPL) is large but not overwhelmingly so.  Meaning the higher team does have room to rotate but can't just go in for a wholesale B lineup.

It's a lot of fun to watch.  And, when it's not your team, to cheer for the underdogs.

I agree that we ideally shouldn't rely on a heavily rotated squad, but I gather the flu is also sweeping through the club right now, so I don't know what to expect

Edited by Aird25