June 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

13 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks. Basically that leaves us IMG Academy or a city in Northern Florida.

I think I missed something upthread, but are we trying to figure out where we'll play Colombia? And if so, why are we limited to Florida? Because it was said we'll be playing in Florida? I get the 150km radius thing since we cannot play a game that close to a Copa America venue. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think I missed something upthread, but are we trying to figure out where we'll play Colombia? And if so, why are we limited to Florida? Because it was said we'll be playing in Florida? I get the 150km radius thing since we cannot play a game that close to a Copa America venue. Thanks!

Yes, when the discussion happened back in December I suggested the Jacksonville Jaguars' stadium as a possibility if the match has to be played in Florida for whatever reason.

If it doesn't then there are literally dozens of options up and down the American East Coast.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It was the Uruguay friendly match rumour, that they were looking at the Tampa Bay area for a June friendly.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

USA friendly versus Brazil announced for June 12

Didn't know they could do that as Orlando is a Copa America venue.

I thought the 150km rule applied.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39609976/usa-face-brazil-copa-america-friendly-orlando

Brazil will face Mexico in College Station, Texas in June which is about ~135km from both the venues in Houston and Austin (as the bird flies) but more than 150km from either venue by road.

College Station has an urban area the size of Saskatoon but a stadium that can hold over 100 000.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Field

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39609976/usa-face-brazil-copa-america-friendly-orlando

Brazil will face Mexico in College Station, Texas in June which is about ~135km from both the venues in Houston and Austin (as the bird flies) but more than 150km from either venue by road.

College Station has an urban area the size of Saskatoon but a stadium that can hold over 100 000.

Spent a weird Texas night at College Station once, in a home of a family going through a major breakup and argument. Met a teenage couple at a bus station diner, parents came to get them as they were planning to take off and elope. They insisted I go back home with them and the family would sort things out in the morning. They fed me dinner. Then all hell broke loose. 

Texas can be, quite often, like a scene from a movie set in Texas.

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Seems like the 150km "rule" is merely a suggestion.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Spent a weird Texas night at College Station once, in a home of a family going through a major breakup and argument. Met a teenage couple at a bus station diner, parents came to get them as they were planning to take off and elope. They insisted I go back home with them and the family would sort things out in the morning. They fed me dinner. Then all hell broke loose. 

Texas can be, quite often, like a scene from a movie set in Texas.

I was going to say...you sure this wasn't a Coen movie you saw once?

39 minutes ago, Metro said:

I was going to say...you sure this wasn't a Coen movie you saw once?

Wenders, the Cohen brothers, that John Sayles classic with Chris Cooper...a recent one for me underrated is Hell or High Water.

I was with my buddy Scott hitchhiking a few weeks earlier into Texas, get a lift from a guy in a pick-up checking on his car washes in New Mexico, and as we get past El Paso he says, "Do you boys know how to walk in quicksand?" We cross some tiny affluent of the Pecos, not more than 15 yards wide, just a trickle of water and the bridge is what you put over a culvert, he stops the truck. We get out, shoes and socks off, roll up pants, and we go straight into quicksand. "You've got to keep moving and don't struggle or you'll go in deeper". We have to make sure we don't get past the knees, "When you lose your knee you're done". We muck around for 5 minutes. Says: "You'd ride your horse into this and never get out, but I have a winch." Back then there were still rusty oil wells slowly pumping in west Texas. Go into an old gas station, the wells in behind, the couple behind the till in no hurry.

"Some of these counties have more millionaires than anywhere in the States."

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wenders, the Cohen brothers, that John Sayles classic with Chris Cooper...a recent one for me underrated is Hell or High Water.

I was with my buddy Scott hitchhiking a few weeks earlier into Texas, get a lift from a guy in a pick-up checking on his car washes in New Mexico, and as we get past El Paso he says, "Do you boys know how to walk in quicksand?" We cross some tiny affluent of the Pecos, not more than 15 yards wide, just a trickle of water and the bridge is what you put over a culvert, he stops the truck. We get out, shoes and socks off, roll up pants, and we go straight into quicksand. "You've got to keep moving and don't struggle or you'll go in deeper". We have to make sure we don't get past the knees, "When you lose your knee you're done". We muck around for 5 minutes. Says: "You'd ride your horse into this and never get out, but I have a winch." Back then there were still rusty oil wells slowly pumping in west Texas. Go into an old gas station, the wells in behind, the couple behind the till in no hurry.

"Some of these counties have more millionaires than anywhere in the States."

You have a hell of a way with words, my friend.

Been to many regions of the United States....mid-atlantic, new england, south and central florida, northern and southern california, the tri-state, the pacific northwest....

but sadly..... never texas.

one day.

3 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I assume Scott is still in the quicksand

Oops!

Scott and I were asked when still teens to coach one of the first girls soccer leagues organised in BC, as you can imagine there was a certain motivation there, the age group was 14-18. The person who set it up is in the BC Soccer Hall of Fame, Keith Millar, his son is my buddy in Liverpool, but from Vancouver. Anyways, I think Scott ended up continuing coaching women at Washington State University in Pullman, when that was just getting underway too.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist