2024 CPL-U SPORTS Draft

K Edgar

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Haven't read all the posts.

But I think Valour pick Frank Facchineri is ex Whitecaps prospect and Canadian u17 international that used to go by Gianfranco 

correct... did not play for the Whitecaps but did play on loans to Atletico Ottawa in 2020 and San Diego Loyal in 2021.  U Windsor and Windsor City (L1O) since.

Gianfranco Facchineri

5 minutes ago, Raven said:

This is why the Draft is important for players in the Maritimes. No one is really looking at players from this region. A Newfoundlander playing in Cape Breton drafted by CPL :)

On a somewhat related note -- USports Mens Soccer needs to come to MB.  The nearest team to Valour is U Sask in Saskatoon!  Need Mens Soccer to come to U Manitoba, U Winnipeg, even U Brandon or U Regina.  With no local USports or League 1 team (only FC Manitoba in USL2) Valour scouts have to travel far.

rewatched the facchineri part of the draft and it was indeed very weird...not once did they mention that he actually played cpl four years back from the 2024 season...and jenkins says "im reading from the scouting report that..." bruh he played cpl,was on an mls contract and played usl and youre talking about his time at windsor and l1o like he never played pro...and putting his nickname of frank instead of his actual name...wth

36 minutes ago, Big_M said:

rewatched the facchineri part of the draft and it was indeed very weird...not once did they mention that he actually played cpl four years back from the 2024 season...and jenkins says "im reading from the scouting report that..." bruh he played cpl,was on an mls contract and played usl and youre talking about his time at windsor and l1o like he never played pro...and putting his nickname of frank instead of his actual name...wth

Did he ever play Next Pro?

On 12/7/2023 at 11:41 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe there are valid reasons not to do it but also factoring in NCAA and community college players might help to make this draft more worthwhile.

I actually love that its restricted to U-sports. I think the concept is to  help develop an underserved market (u-sports). NCAA players can get drafted to MLS and if they dont, they can still likely give CPL a go. U-sports players have no where to go other than CPL. A guy like waterman is an example of a guy who wouldve retired after his TWU days had there not been a CPL to play in. 

Obv the quality of the draft is alot lower because of it, but at least we are trying to focus on canadian player development. 

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I actually love that its restricted to U-sports. 

Just look where the lets include NCAA comment came from.  That explains it all eh?

I'm glad our Usports kids get a little exposure through this, maybe more can actually make a roster though...please?? That would be real progress, build up a college pathway right here in Canada.  Selfishly I hope Valors 2 picks stick around,   we know they like to pinch pennies.  

6 hours ago, Bigandy said:

...Obv the quality of the draft is alot lower because of it, but at least we are trying to focus on canadian player development. 

Not sure I follow the logic here. A player suddenly stops being Canadian if he takes an NCAA scholarship? Big_M is probably correct in what was posted above but having future national team players of the level of Cyle Larin, Alistair Johnston and Richie Laryea playing in CanPL on developmental contracts wouldn't do the league any harm. As things stand, not having that and not having the players that go through MLS Next Pro makes the league a marginal contributer to elite player development.

Plenty of logic in throwing some love to CDN Usports.  Build up our system, help build strong soccer programs in canada, Scoop up kids that might fall through the cracks, have a testing ground for CDN coaches.  It all helps, build from the bottom up, no need to prop up the NCAA system any more than we do. They have their draft and next pro, and USL1-2-C etc etc etc, and for the most part they ignore any Usports kids.  I know the squawker will say its just nationalist baloney, but whats wrong with a CDN pro league, paying special attention the players at the local CDN universities.