Match Thread: October 7, 2023 - Forge v Atletico Ottawa

narduch

Finally getting warmed up after standing in a cold wind at THF, a bit of a strange match with play on the field being dictated by other scores, Forge just passed it around for a good portion near the end of the match knowing if they didn't concede another they were the 2 seed and Atletico really didn't press too hard! Credit to Ottawa for playing a solid match when there was little to play for but pride, I have big concerns for Forge entering the post season on back to back losses but the 2 seed is huge!

It might have been 'smart' to pass it around for six or seven minutes, but I find it rather disrespectful to fans who pay for entertainment. You have so little confidence in your abiliity to defend that you're happy to take the loss after a very flat performance against a team with nothing to play for? Campbell should at least have shown some fire, he could have tied for the league lead in goals. This team really doesn't show any consistent desire to compete. I'll be surprised if they pull off a cup win, Calgary is clearly better this year and I think other teams want it more.

Edited by Cicero
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It might have been 'smart' to pass it around for six or seven minutes, but I find it rather disrespectful to fans who pay for entertainment. You have so little confidence in your abiliity to defend that you're happy to take the loss after a very flat performance against a team with nothing to play for? Campbell should at least have shown some fire, he could have tied for the league lead in goals. This team really doesn't show any consistent desire to compete. I'll be surprised if they pull off a cup win, Calgary is clearly better this year and I think other teams want it more.

I agree with most of what you are saying but I don't blame Forge for not pressing hard for the goal when the result of the other match was clear and conceding a goal would have knocked them into the 3 seed, Ottawa wasn't pressing so why leave yourself vulnerable on a counter attack while you tried to score a goal which really wasn't needed? I made reference to the West Germany vs Austria group stage match in 82 which resulted in final matches being played simultaneously in most group stages, though the league changed the ko times the Pacific match was decided!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

14 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

Am a Forge SSH since inception- could not make to the game day

So not channelling my inner OTP- but turned the YouTube channel and 400 people watching the live stream :(

God forbid anyone do something like comment on the blindingly obvious on here and how difficult is to understand that someone might not be able to regularly attend CanPL games because of where they currently live and work?

How many people would you be expecting to plan their Saturday around a Forge vs Atletico game anyway when there are so many other alternatives available at a much higher playing standard at this time of year? I doubt this is anything massively out of the ordinary as the interest level in a Onesoccer webstream when a regular season game is involved regardless of the platform.

I would normally only have been around 25% at best likely to have nothing better to do around that time and found myself a lot more into the 24 hour cable news cycle and twitter as a distraction yesterday rather than any soccer game given what was happening in Israel. Other times I might have been binge watching something on Netflix, etc.

The idea there was money to be made off a league like CanPL for a company like Mediapro with 8 cameras per game production levels always seemed wildly optimistic to me given I am part of the niche audience that actually would subscribe to something like this in a Canadian context and find I can only sporadically find the time to watch pro soccer games that way. Given all the alternative entertainment options nowadays I doubt I am alone on that.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

God forbid anyone do something like comment on the blindingly obvious on here and how difficult is to understand that someone might not be able to regularly attend CanPL games because of where they currently live and work?

How many people would you be expecting to plan their Saturday around a Forge vs Atletico game anyway when there are so many other alternatives available at a much higher playing standard at this time of year? I doubt this is anything massively out of the ordinary as the interest level in a Onesoccer webstream when a regular season game is involved regardless of the platform.

I would normally only have been around 25% at best likely to have nothing better to do around that time and found myself a lot more into the 24 hour cable news cycle and twitter as a distraction yesterday rather than any soccer game given what was happening in Israel. Other times I might have been binge watching something on Netflix, etc.

The idea there was money to be made off a league like CanPL for a company like Mediapro with 8 cameras per game production levels always seemed wildly optimistic to me given I am part of the niche audience that actually would subscribe to something like this in a Canadian context and find I can only sporadically find the time to watch pro soccer games that way. Given all the alternative entertainment options nowadays I doubt I am alone on that.

I doubt very much that you would have gone to any CPL games even if you lived next door to one of the fields that host the league. We all know how beneath you the league is so stop spewing your bullshit about living too far or work being an impediment. 

Btw...have you been to a single game yet? Since the league started?