Match Thread: April 22, 2023 - York United v Vancouver FC

32 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Is anyone here at the game? Sure doesn't seem like anywhere close to that when they pan to the stands.

This club is an absolute disaster. I wonder how much longer an owner wants to keep this thing on life support.

I know a couple who had already bought tickets, they most likely didn't show up.

I want to go see the Whitecaps games but unless I have an idea of the weather, won't buy it in advance - others will

57 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I know a couple who had already bought tickets, they most likely didn't show up.

I want to go see the Whitecaps games but unless I have an idea of the weather, won't buy it in advance - others will

No doubt getting a ticket to the York match will not be a problem even on game day. I will be going as TFC plays the night before. Will be a fun two night of footy. 

Edited by Cblake

I know the weather was crap, but 882 was the announced attendance. That does not say much about York's ability to sell tickets. Heck they did not even announce the attendance for Wednesday's match. Wish them the best but wonder how sustainable this team really is? 

2 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I know the weather was crap, but 882 was the announced attendance. That does not say much about York's ability to sell tickets. Heck they did not even announce the attendance for Wednesday's match. Wish them the best but wonder how sustainable this team really is? 

It's not. I have no idea why everyone ignores York's issues but always crapped on FC Edmonton.

York makes 0 financial sense to continue as an owner in year 5.

Some renderings for a future stadium don't change that fact.

Edited by Soccerpro2

54 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

It's not. I have no idea why everyone ignores York's issues but always crapped on FC Edmonton.

York makes 0 financial sense to continue as an owner in year 5.

Some renderings for a future stadium don't change that fact.

I have said this before. The owner is not going to accept losing money much longer. And you are right that FC Edmonton was critized but not 1 word about York United.  This team should relocate to Quebec City or Laval......maybe the new Alouettes owner could buy the team from Greenpark.  The market in Quebec can support it. York will NEVER be relevant in the GTA (Toronto or York Region).

2 minutes ago, ATM said:

I have said this before. The owner is not going to accept losing money much longer. And you are right that FC Edmonton was critized but not 1 word about York United.  This team should relocate to Quebec City or Laval......maybe the new Alouettes owner could buy the team from Greenpark.  The market in Quebec can support it. York will NEVER be relevant in the GTA (Toronto or York Region).

Maybe a CPL team can be done properly in the GTA (I personally don't believe it can work there) but York definitely isn't it.

I predict the next expansion team will simply be replacing York.

4 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Maybe a CPL team can be done properly in the GTA (I personally don't believe it can work there) but York definitely isn't it.

I predict the next expansion team will simply be replacing York.

Maybe in Mississauga?

6 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

It's not. I have no idea why everyone ignores York's issues but always crapped on FC Edmonton...

Think the key difference was that FCE started regularly announcing three digit crowds mid-2021 season when the Fath brothers lost interest. Dropping the PR spin on attendance is often a sign that the end is nigh in North American pro soccer leagues so they were viewed as the more immediate problem. Although York have been drawing in three digits most of the time since 2019 in tickets scanned sort of terms, they have only rarely been announcing it usually in the context of weeknight and/or cup games.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot