MLS Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

Gavran has been impressive despite the two goals where he was hung out to dry by his back five. Antonoglu on the other hand needs to be subbed out for Gutierrez at the half, I don’t know what his best position is supposed to be but the team is getting murdered down the left flank

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Gavran has been impressive despite the two goals where he was hung out to dry by his back five. Antonoglu on the other hand needs to be subbed out for Gutierrez at the half, I don’t know what his best position is supposed to be but the team is getting murdered down the left flank

Gavran made some very good reflex saves but the other parts of his game are a work in progress. Antonoglu just seems like boy amongst men out there.  Still, like the other young Cancon, they are getting experience in MLS.  Not sure what next year and beyond holds for all of them, but at least they are getting minutes.

11 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Gavran made some very good reflex saves but the other parts of his game are a work in progress. Antonoglu just seems like boy amongst men out there.  Still, like the other young Cancon, they are getting experience in MLS.  Not sure what next year and beyond holds for all of them, but at least they are getting minutes.

The parts of Gavran's game that need work are, I suspect, the sort of thing that can be gained with more experience (whereas his size, agility and reflex save-making abilities are stuff you can't teach). From what I've seen he should be considered ahead of Romero & Ranjisingh, even with his brain cramp that led to a corner late in the game.

I think "Boy amongst men" is a good descriptor for Antonoglou though, in addition to his small size he also seems slow by MLS standards, and that's a fatal combination. With those two issues it's difficult to see him making it at this league. He is one of the few Canucks that I don't have on my short list of players (Canadian or otherwise) to bring back for next season (and it is a very short list, but I would add Gavran to it on the basis of what little I've seen so far).

47 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The parts of Gavran's game that need work are, I suspect, the sort of thing that can be gained with more experience (whereas his size, agility and reflex save-making abilities are stuff you can't teach). From what I've seen he should be considered ahead of Romero & Ranjisingh, even with his brain cramp that led to a corner late in the game.

I think "Boy amongst men" is a good descriptor for Antonoglou though, in addition to his small size he also seems slow by MLS standards, and that's a fatal combination. With those two issues it's difficult to see him making it at this league. He is one of the few Canucks that I don't have on my short list of players (Canadian or otherwise) to bring back for next season (and it is a very short list, but I would add Gavran to it on the basis of what little I've seen so far).

Mbongue has done nothing every time I’ve seen him come on and he has gotten some decent minutes , I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see anything from this kid , unless Herdman can improve his play this kid needs to go to the CPL and see if he can play there, but honestly from what I’ve seen of him I can’t even see him having any sort of an impact in the CPL.

23 minutes ago, Big_M said:

what the heck is montreal waiting for down 0-1 with 20 to go...choiniere has been bad and a bunch of others doing nothing...sub in wanyama offor lappalainen...throw whatever you got

lappalainen subbed in 75' and scores at 90+6' and ends 1-1...should have made subs way before

at the break its LAFC 3 (2 St. Clair mistakes) - Minnesota 1 (1 Crepeau mistake)...minnesota gave heath an extension and they are about to miss playoffs...so many bad decisions by teams concerning staff...dc misses playoffs with a clueless rooney...they havent made it with losada or rooney...meanwhile their former coach olsen brought houston to the open cup and now playoffs...onstad finally got something right...miami looks like a joke...they made all these old player+rushed young player signings and when messi goes down it completely falls apart...just wait once theyre a year older in 2024...and there were rumours about bringing iniesta and suarez lol...you can bet they changed their mind on that if they were seriously thinking about it