Expanded Gold Cup 2025

Obinna

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2023 at 9:11 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@Obinna , your dream may come true! :D

We should merge both threads.

I am fine with the merge. Until then, allow me to draft up another mock (since fiction is getting a tad closer to reality):

Teams:

CAF: Morocco, Senegal

UEFA: Portugal, Spain

AFC: Japan, Korea

CONMEBOL: Brazil, Argentina

CONCACAF: Mexico, USA, Canada, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador, Haiti, Curacao, Suriname, Guatemala, Trinidad and Tobago, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Nicarauga

Pot 1: Brazil, Argentina, USA, Mexico, Spain, Portugal

Pot 2: Morocco, Japan, Senegal, Korea, Costa Rica, Canada

Pot 3: Panama, Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador, Haiti, Curacao

Pot 4: Suriname, Guatemala, T&T, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Nicarauga

Group A: USA, Senegal, Panama, T&T

Group B: Mexico, Morocco, Honduras, Suriname

Group C : Brazil, Japan, Haiti, Guatemala

Group D : Argentina, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Dominican Republic

Group E: Spain, Korea, Jamaica, Guayana

Group F: Portugal, Canada, Curacao, Nicarauga 

Assuming top 2 plus 4 best 3rd place advance:

R16

USA vs Costa Rica

Panama vs Argentina

Senegal vs El Salvador

Honduras vs Portugal

Canada vs Mexico

Spain vs Japan

Brazil vs Korea

Jamaica vs Morocco

QF

USA vs Morocco

Argentina vs Canada (yes we upset Mexico)

Portugal vs Brazil

Spain vs Senegal

SF

USA vs Brazil

Spain vs Argentina

F

Brazil vs Argentina

• 11 months later...

Some news about this:

https://theathletic.com/5208543/2024/01/18/club-world-cup-2025-us-gold-cup-location/?amp=1

For those of us not paying for the Athletic:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/news/gold-cup-and-club-world-cup-to-divide-and-conquer-us-in-2025-20240118-WST-483985.html

- This Gold Cup will be mostly or exclusively in the Western half of the USA (there goes the dream of smaller CONCACAF countries hosting!)

- Tournament dates will indeed overlap with the big Club World Cup also in the USA (this will likely force players like Eustáquio or Davies to pick which tournament they will play in)

- If FIFA World Cup 2026 stadiums are being tested, perhaps Vancouver has a shot of hosting a match?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This Gold Cup will be mostly or exclusively in the Western half of the USA (there goes the dream of smaller CONCACAF countries hosting!)

You would think they would try somewhere else...you know like Canada.
But with the expansion of the tournament, who knows if it's even realistic? 

I think Concacaf will have to have some real hard conversations about the frequency and validity of this tournament going forward. It needs to happen every 4 years, and to maintain the frequency of the money/tournaments introduce a U23 Tournament.

It's the only way.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

You would think they would try somewhere else...you know like Canada.
But with the expansion of the tournament, who knows if it's even realistic? 

I think Concacaf will have to have some real hard conversations about the frequency and validity of this tournament going forward. It needs to happen every 4 years, and to maintain the frequency of the money/tournaments introduce a U23 Tournament.

It's the only way.

This would be a superb idea.

Especially since the cut the U23 (Olympic Qualifying tournament).

To respond to your point @SpursFlu, if CONMEBOL wanted, they could do a regular Copa America every 4 years and a joint one with CONCACAF (to rival the Euros) every 4 years.

48 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Some news about this:

https://theathletic.com/5208543/2024/01/18/club-world-cup-2025-us-gold-cup-location/?amp=1

For those of us not paying for the Athletic:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/news/gold-cup-and-club-world-cup-to-divide-and-conquer-us-in-2025-20240118-WST-483985.html

- This Gold Cup will be mostly or exclusively in the Western half of the USA (there goes the dream of smaller CONCACAF countries hosting!)

- Tournament dates will indeed overlap with the big Club World Cup also in the USA (this will likely force players like Eustáquio or Davies to pick which tournament they will play in)

- If FIFA World Cup 2026 stadiums are being tested, perhaps Vancouver has a shot of hosting a match?

Not only that, but Buchanan would be missing for Inter and David, depending on where he goes, could be out too. Chelsea are qualified and Italy has one more spot and as we know, all the big Italian side were linked with him at one point.

BUT...This could be a blessing in disguise, since we need some competitive games for our squad players.

On the other hand, the same could be said about the last Gold Cup and look how that turned out, we were underwhelming and things didn't come together quickly enough.

By summer 2025, maybe Ali Ahmed is playing for Sporting, Saliba and Choniere are somewhere in Belgium like a Genk or Antwerp, Jayden Nelson has been sold to a mid-table Ligue 1 or Bundesliga club, Theo has found a new permanent home in the Championship or better, LDF has become a true Fulham squad player, Jebbison is committed and playing in a top 5 league, etc.

In short, the depth may look way better in 18 months from now, so maybe we've matured to the point by then where we can leave out Eustaquio, Davies and Buchanan and let the rest of the guys pick up the slack and get some critical experience.

Especially the wings with Davies and Buchanan out, it would really be a much needed chance for the likes of Nelson and Corbeanu. Going to be tough for them otherwise. And in the middle, no Eustaquio would be a great chance for Saliba, Ahmed, or Choniere. I hope all 3 are in Europe by then.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This would be a superb idea.

Especially since the cut the U23 (Olympic Qualifying tournament).

To respond to your point @SpursFlu, if CONMEBOL wanted, they could do a regular Copa America every 4 years and a joint one with CONCACAF (to rival the Euros) every 4 years.

I don't think there's interest from CONMEBOL in doing one every 2 years, but I'm hopeful there's enough interest in simply making it a joint tournament every time (but not always in the US). I do think it's a shame they moved it to the same year as the Euros. The year in between the WC and Euros always seemed like a better spot.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Not only that, but Buchanan would be missing for Inter and David, depending on where he goes, could be out too. Chelsea are qualified and Italy has one more spot and as we know, all the big Italian side were linked with him at one point.

BUT...This could be a blessing in disguise, since we need some competitive games for our squad players.

On the other hand, the same could be said about the last Gold Cup and look how that turned out, we were underwhelming and things didn't come together quickly enough.

By summer 2025, maybe Ali Ahmed is playing for Sporting, Saliba and Choniere are somewhere in Belgium like a Genk or Antwerp, Jayden Nelson has been sold to a mid-table Ligue 1 or Bundesliga club, Theo has found a new permanent home in the Championship or better, LDF has become a true Fulham squad player, Jebbison is committed and playing in a top 5 league, etc.

In short, the depth may look way better in 18 months from now, so maybe we've matured to the point by then where we can leave out Eustaquio, Davies and Buchanan and let the rest of the guys pick up the slack and get some critical experience.

Especially the wings with Davies and Buchanan out, it would really be a much needed chance for the likes of Nelson and Corbeanu. Going to be tough for them otherwise. And in the middle, no Eustaquio would be a great chance for Saliba, Ahmed, or Choniere. I hope all 3 are in Europe by then.

Especially since its a gold cup, I wouldnt hate that at all.  I feel like we are on the verge of our B/C team (comparable to last gold cup) is going to be A minus in quality. The floor of almost all our positions is getting raised quite a bit higher in the next few years. 

The CM's you named are going to be better than all our CM's during the WC minus staq and kone. Nelson, millar, corbeanu and shaf could all be A- players for us. JRR/Jebbo/Colyn/Brym could be A- guys. At CB it feels like all our guys regardless of who we call are B+ to A-. However, maybe stefanovic, LDF, JKL, smith? play at the GC. If our regular fullbacks want a break (sam, davies, richie, AJ) then we drop down to a C+/B- option with franklin and petrasso? zbg?. 

16 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

I really don’t like the idea. Problems with the Gold Cup are 1) being played every 2 years instead of 4 (even more now with Nations League…) 2) always hosted in USA. Simple as that.

The main problem is that they will consistently have the Gold Cup and Nations League finals in the same year. This means there's always that potential for an asterisk year as players will always be choosing to attend the tournament. Club World Cup, Nations League Finals, Olympics, and the World Cup.

It's just too much. But I get the money-making aspect. I just think they should do a U23 tournament-style Gold Cup, and limit it to MLS sized stadiums. OR allow that tournament to be played in other countries.

Edited by Shway