League 1 Alberta/Prairies

Watchmen

Just speculating, but I see that Cavalry is the only club here without a team on the women's side and I was told League 1 Alberta requires clubs to have teams on both sides.

I bet we are going to see Cavalry WFC on the women's side and NDC is going to be a placeholder until Cavalry get that sorted out.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, Obinna said:

Just speculating, but I see that Cavalry is the only club here without a team on the women's side and I was told League 1 Alberta requires clubs to have teams on both sides.

I bet we are going to see Cavalry WFC on the women's side and NDC is going to be a placeholder until Cavalry get that sorted out.

It'll be like L1Q, and L1BC how CF Montreal is like the male equivalent to the PEF and the Whitecaps are the equivalent to the Whitecaps women (the Whitecaps women's is actually the province's NDC team). Cavalry and the NDC will be considered a male/female grouping 

Edited by rydermike

20 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Additional team in the Canadian Championship next year?

Random thought... As L1O is bigger than the other 3 leagues should it get 2 spots?

I assume L1AB will get a Canadian Championship spot in 2025.

No to L1O getting two spots.  Yes, they're bigger but they've dealt with that by stratifying so only the L1OP teams have a shot at the CC.  Also, the L1 teams do poorly enough in the CC that I'm very happy to see them there and very happy for all the L1 leagues to get representation but not wanting to flood the tournament with D3 teams.

Edited by Kingston

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

No to L1O getting two spots.  Yes, they're bigger but they've dealt with that by stratifying so only the L1OP teams have a shot at the CC.  Also, the L1 teams do poorly enough in the CC that I'm very happy to see them there and very happy for all the L1 leagues to get representation but not wanting to flood the tournament with D3 teams.

We could have a League 1 Canada Championship with the 4 league winners and give that team one spot. That league would then also send its runner up

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

We could have a League 1 Canada Championship with the 4 league winners and give that team one spot. That league would then also send its runner up

Also an option.

For me, however, as much as I don't want half the teams in the CC to be from L1, I do like the idea of each L1 league sending a rep.  So we'd eventually see one team each from BC, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada, and whatever happens on the prairies (one league or one for Alberta and another for Saskatchewan and Manitoba).

I am OK with either the champions of each going to the CC, or with them expanding it to more teams across the board. But if a single L1C league were to get another spot, I think L1BC would be the ones to have earned it at this point, because I believe they are the only ones to advance past anyone. If they expand by just a team or two more than 1 per league, make it based on results please.

I'm also OK with the L1C teams making up whatever the leftover number is in any given year to make a nice round number. Like 16 teams or 32 teams. I guess if L1A is represented in 2025, and everything else stays the same, that would make 3 MLS, 8 CPL, 4 L1C for a total of 15 teams. I can't remember for sure but I feel like CPL had a target of 2 new teams in 2025 as well, so if they hit that target that would up the field to 17 teams. Big "if" though.

2 hours ago, P-O said:

I might be crazy, but I believe every club from League 1 should be in the hat for the first round of the Canadian Championship.

Love the idea, but the cost of the travel involved on low budget League 1 teams is unfortunately prohibitive.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:39 PM, narduch said:

Was thinking exactly the same.

But I think you mean, that apart from the 4 league winners going to the Voyageurs Cup, the winner qualifies its runner up as well. In principle, if the L1Ontario is really superior, they would be qualifying one of their teams, but it may not work that way. 

In any case, I appreciate the logic of L1Ontario getting an extra spot, with so many teams, but it would be better to tie extra spots to league performance. It works the same in Europe, there are countries with many teams who don't do well in UEFA competitions and have lower coefficients, and leagues with less teams who do well and qualify more teams for UEFA spots (Scotland for example). 

Then the other consideration: should all of L1 get extra spots based on any L1 team doing well in the Voyageurs, or just that specific L1 league? If Cavalry beat Whitecaps, that reflected on the entire CPL, and then TSS Rovers beat Valour: should that be in favour of L1BC or L1Canada?

On 12/9/2023 at 2:54 AM, P-O said:

I might be crazy, but I believe every club from League 1 should be in the hat for the first round of the Canadian Championship.

That's how you build a club. By playing meaningful games.

This is a valid point. Thing is, you would inevitably have early rounds of just L1 teams playing each other, and in their own provinces, so you'd end up with something similar to the way things are filtered down nowadays.

Because you are not going to start CPL and MLS teams in a round of 64. Maybe not even a round of 32 (for scheduling reasons). 

MLS + CPL + just 5 L1 teams gives you a round of 16, four matches to win a Cup.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was thinking exactly the same.

But I think you mean, that apart from the 4 league winners going to the Voyageurs Cup, the winner qualifies its runner up as well. In principle, if the L1Ontario is really superior, they would be qualifying one of their teams, but it may not work that way. 

In any case, I appreciate the logic of L1Ontario getting an extra spot, with so many teams, but it would be better to tie extra spots to league performance. It works the same in Europe, there are countries with many teams who don't do well in UEFA competitions and have lower coefficients, and leagues with less teams who do well and qualify more teams for UEFA spots (Scotland for example). 

Then the other consideration: should all of L1 get extra spots based on any L1 team doing well in the Voyageurs, or just that specific L1 league? If Cavalry beat Whitecaps, that reflected on the entire CPL, and then TSS Rovers beat Valour: should that be in favour of L1BC or L1Canada?

Another idea I have is that each L1 also runs an FA style Cup. The winner of that would also get a spot

On 12/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Kingston said:

Kind of argree with this. I always imagined L10 having an additional spot, but doesn't quite feel right now they have split it up.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Kind of argree with this. I always imagined L10 having an additional spot, but doesn't quite feel right now they have split it up.

Just because it is splitting into 3 division does not make it a smaller league.  Argument for extra spot based upon size still stands (imho).  Extra spot based upon previous performance is interesting -- but please do not mention TSS Rovers vs Valour ever again :(

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Another idea I have is that each L1 also runs an FA style Cup. The winner of that would also get a spot

If the spot is a motivation, great, but the thing is, most of these teams don't draw in fans that well, and a Cup is not necessarily going to help them draw better. Would it be a motivator?

I don't know how other FAs work with their Cups, but in Spain they let lower division teams in based on small performance factors. They have a cut-off line, then they create small bonuses below it. 

For example, the Spanish federation does a rather modest internal cup for  all 3rd, 4th and 5th tier teams not in the main Cup, think it is, the Copa RFEF, and they let that winner into the Cup if not in already. Then the teams promoting into certain divisions get in, like 5th to 4th. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist