League 1 Alberta/Prairies

Watchmen

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do you really think they will/would actually semi-professionalize? The phrase "Pro-am" gets mentioned a lot in this context for a reason. Every decade or two Canadian soccer seems to need to have a new soccer association driven masterplan that's supposed to completely transform the sport but usually just winds up being more of the same with a different label.

In southern Ontario, the OSL, the unsanctioned CSL and L1O were the last three masterplans from the OSA and they are all still operating in parallel with it not being a safe bet that all the best players and strongest teams are in L1O. It's similar in BC with the VMSL, PCSL and L1 BC and it's not a safe bet that L1 BC is the setup that people who are actively involved in the sport take most seriously in a lower mainland context.

Maybe I'm wrong, but weren't you one of the ones who criticized Ottawa Fury losing sanctioning? 

But the only way to clear up the mess you are describing is by imposing a unified system of organised association soccer. You can have winter and summer leagues, you can tier, you can let kids play for pure fun and others seek elite goals, but you have to unify. 

In fact one of your main bugaboos on this board, I thought, was the fear of unification. So I don't get your argument.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but weren't you one of the ones who criticized Ottawa Fury losing sanctioning? 

But the only way to clear up the mess you are describing is by imposing a unified system of organised association soccer. You can have winter and summer leagues, you can tier, you can let kids play for pure fun and others seek elite goals, but you have to unify. 

In fact one of your main bugaboos on this board, I thought, was the fear of unification. So I don't get your argument.

It's a fools game trying to make sense of the arguments of a disingenuous fuckwit.

On 1/29/2023 at 7:54 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Next, paying players in L1. For the life of me I don't know why they call it semi-pro if it isn't. If you want to pay, you need gate, sponsors and then you may be tempted to siphon off income from the kids to pay the senior team players (iffy formula, I dislike it).

My understanding (I don't follow the league closely) is that L1O teams are allowed to pay their players, but most do not. There might be a limit to how much, but they are allowed to pay zero to many players to play. I recall there have been some players that have been/are paid, but I couldn't tell you a name of anyone, and my impression is that it is very rare. Like, maybe a handful of players in the entire league. Presumably this isn't including players getting a bit of game day cash for gas and a meal or something.

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

My understanding (I don't follow the league closely) is that L1O teams are allowed to pay their players, but most do not. There might be a limit to how much, but they are allowed to pay zero to many players to play. I recall there have been some players that have been/are paid, but I couldn't tell you a name of anyone, and my impression is that it is very rare. Like, maybe a handful of players in the entire league. Presumably this isn't including players getting a bit of game day cash for gas and a meal or something.

This is something I am curious about also. Has anyone on these boards played at L1 level, or does anyone know someone who has and can comment?

@Rocket Robin perhaps knows the answer?

Edited by Obinna

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is something I am curious about also. Has anyone on these boards played at L1 level, or does anyone know someone who has and can comment?

@Rocket Robin perhaps knows the answer?

Electric City had pros last season, with Zach Ellis Hayden, Jordon Brown, Jordan Webb that come to mind. Electric City took a really ambitious approach heading to their first season, with a lot of how long would it take to get into CPL. Their president Rob Jenkins who was really pushing it re-signed and as such not sure what the approach is at this point. 

The issue that makes many/most clubs at this level reluctant to adopt semi-professionalism is what it does to NCAA eligibility. L1O and especially L1BC appear to have even shortened their seasons to accomodate the interests of full ride NCAA scholarship players over what is best for players with regular jobs, i.e. as long a season possible. That's why I'm skeptical that L1BC is being taken more seriously than the VMSL and FVSL by most of the soccer community there.

On 2/4/2023 at 12:20 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The issue that makes many/most clubs at this level reluctant to adopt semi-professionalism is what it does to NCAA eligibility. L1O and especially L1BC appear to have even shortened their seasons to accomodate the interests of full ride NCAA scholarship players over what is best for players with regular jobs, i.e. as long a season possible. That's why I'm skeptical that L1BC is being taken more seriously than the VMSL and FVSL by most of the soccer community there.

You think the majority considers FVSL to be a higher level and better pathway than L1BC?

On 2/4/2023 at 1:20 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This is likely a moot point, since I believe VMSL doesn't overlap with L1BC. VMSL is played in fall/winter/spring. L1BC is a summer league on the old PCSL schedule.

I assume top local players play div 1 in VMSL (or FVSL, VISL, etc.) and then play L1BC in summer, if they are good enough that is, so probably no choice to make for them, but if there was a choice to be made, I assume that players would see the affiliation with CPL via L1Canada and choose to prioritize L1BC over 1st div VMSL on those grounds.  

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is likely a moot point, since I believe VMSL doesn't overlap with L1BC. VMSL is played in fall/winter/spring. L1BC is a summer league on the old PCSL schedule.

I assume top local players play div 1 in VMSL (or FVSL, VISL, etc.) and then play L1BC in summer, if they are good enough that is, so probably no choice to make for them, but if there was a choice to be made, I assume that players would see the affiliation with CPL via L1Canada and choose to prioritize L1BC over 1st div VMSL on those grounds.  

A lot of people who play VMSL or in one of the other fall to spring leagues simply do not want to travel because of life, family, work commitments etc. They including many who played university etc. that want to play something competitive , something more than an adult rec league. A number of years ago there was talk of creating a B.C. elite league using the best teams from the various leagues and it did not take off because of the above mentioned issues. This is where L1BC steps in and creates a higher level for those that want it with pro ambitions. 

Of the five men's leagues that play in the B.C. Provincial Championship only the PCSL plays spring to fall, the season league as L1BC. 

Men's

Edited by Cblake

23 hours ago, Cblake said:

A lot of people who play VMSL or in one of the other fall to spring leagues simply do not want to travel because of life, family, work commitments etc. They including many who played university etc. that want to play something competitive , something more than an adult rec league. A number of years ago there was talk of creating a B.C. elite league using the best teams from the various leagues and it did not take off because of the above mentioned issues. This is where L1BC steps in and creates a higher level for those that want it with pro ambitions. 

Of the five men's leagues that play in the B.C. Provincial Championship only the PCSL plays spring to fall, the season league as L1BC. 

Men's

I have no problem with people playing in any of these leagues for "quality of life" reasons, but at some point L1BC has to expand it's schedule in order to better develop players. The short season isn't enough. And if the expanded schedule starts to force some up and coming players to make a choice between leagues then so be it, that can't be something L1BC worries about long term.

On 2/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, Watchmen said:

I have no problem with people playing in any of these leagues for "quality of life" reasons, but at some point L1BC has to expand it's schedule in order to better develop players. The short season isn't enough. And if the expanded schedule starts to force some up and coming players to make a choice between leagues then so be it, that can't be something L1BC worries about long term.

I doubt L1BC is worried about this. Someone that's played in the BC system can speak up, but I imagine the serious guys won't mind the travel. It's like that in every province. Once you get a wife and a kid, you are going to settle into VMSL or other similar leagues. Until then, you'll play a combination of both, if you can. Why not?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Vancouver Metro Soccer League (vmslsoccer.com)

Premier div (and probably all divs) runs from sept to end of march 

Right now the L1BC is trying a bit too much to cater to the university players and avoid direct conflict with VMSL/VISL/FVSL.  Short term, that's still fine.  But it's not a long term solution to player development.  We'll see if they realize that.

44 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Right now the L1BC is trying a bit too much to cater to the university players and avoid direct conflict with VMSL/VISL/FVSL.  Short term, that's still fine.  But it's not a long term solution to player development.  We'll see if they realize that.

Is that conjecture or are they on record saying university players are their target? I mean, Varsity was clearly a university-based team, and perhaps Rivers is to a lesser extent? I don't disbelieve it, I am just curious if that is their official approach. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Is that conjecture or are they on record saying university players are their target? I mean, Varsity was clearly a university-based team, and perhaps Rivers is to a lesser extent? I don't disbelieve it, I am just curious if that is their official approach. 

They're not on record as saying it, but Varsity, Unity, Rivers, and I think the Highlanders all had a heavy university influence.  So more than half the league last year. As I said, in the short term that's fine. The important thing was getting the league up and running and starting to flex a bit on the lower leagues holding the province back.  It's just not a long term solution.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I agree, this is clear. Ideally the L1 structure would be a club-driven structure. For now the universities are helping it get underway, it is a viable opportunity. Much of PDL is university students, Thunder Bay had many US student players, for example. But it stops there and does not do what a L1 should, which is creating an elite level of club play. 

The big thing that L1BC wanted was club stability and that's basically what the university-affiliate teams provide. Stability in that the teams likely won't disappear in a year or two. That was the issue with L1O and PLSQ in their early years, lots of expansion and contraction with multiple teams lasting only 1-3 years.

So, I think this strategy of starting out with short-season university-player-focused leagues is a smart move. You get some stability with teams that will last a few seasons, build that reputation and then when you expand you can properly vet the teams to be sure that they will last. I'm not sure how stringent the early PLSQ/L1O application process was, but I believe I read L1O had 50 interested clubs and PLSQ had another 10-12 or so interested in the past year, allowing them to be super choosy with who they accept. Maybe in the early years (I have no idea here) it was apply and you're in (or standards were probably far laxer than currently), which could be why so many folded early. But now they've basically proven their mettle, and can be more stringent. Apart from 1812 FC, I don't think any other clubs have left L1O in the last few years [Aurora and Toronto Skillz both 'left' but they joined the Simcoe and Electric City teams as partner clubs and still operate reserve teams, so those are more 'semi-mergers' than true foldings]

Edited by rydermike

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Wil those teams also compete in the AMSL?

1. Calgary Foothills - USL League 2
  2. Edmonton Scottish - AMSL
  3. St. Albert Impact - AMSL
  4. BTB Soccer - ?
  5. Cavalry FC - AMSL

Three of the five teams on the men's sides also plays in the AMSL. The AMSL men's division has 9 teams listed for 2023. I will be curious to see if the AMSL eventually just becomes L1 Alberta if most of the teams make the move and thus what is really different moving forward than what they have now. L1BC is kind of sitting on the fence right now in making itself something more than the Vancouver Metro Soccer League and the other leagues in the province with its short season etc. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. 

Alberta Soccer Association - Alberta Major Soccer League (AMSL) : Website by RAMP InterActive

Edited by Cblake

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Men

1. Calgary Foothills
  2. Edmonton Scottish
  3. St. Albert Impact
  4. BTB Soccer
  5. Cavalry FC

Women

1. Calgary Foothills
  2. Edmonton Scottish
  3. St. Albert Impact
  4. BTB Soccer
  5. Calgary Blizzard

Is Calgary Blizzard affiliated with Cavalry FC, or did the CPL club choose not to field a women's club?

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Is Calgary Blizzard affiliated with Cavalry FC, or did the CPL club choose not to field a women's club?

No, they are separate organization. Do not think Cavalry has any type of women's setup.