Jump to content

Match Thread: October 3, 2021 - York United v HFX Wanderers


narduch
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Quite an atmosphere @ York today for this game. Dead silence and 'lean on me' blaring on the sound system. Looks like the place is pretty well totally empty.

OMG, just put on the OneSoccer feed. That is horrific. 😥

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All that's been talked about is the possibility of adding temporary seating if there was ever a need for it including in a York United context a possible safe standing section that couldn't be done this season because Angus McNab arrived on the scene too late to arrange it. I don't think the York Lions Usports gridiron team is that big a deal (unlike Western or Queens for example) so the actual owners of the stadium have no real need for more permanent seating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Great finish, topsy turvy match. They are planning on putting stands on the other side of the pitch at York eventually right?.... right??...  🙏 🥺

I can't see the club spending another dime in York for stands or anything. They have no support at all there. May have been a couple hundred people there today for a critical match. If they were smart they would be looking somewhere to land the team next spring. York is just not going to work - I think that's fairly clear now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A real disappointment in terms of the attendance and you have to wonder if York will be soon looking for new pastures.  Would a Mississauga location be a prime spot or just another black hole similar to what is going on right now.

Wanderers unbeaten in 10 now...good to see Garcia get back on the scoresheet in Morelli's absence. 😀

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Terry_Canuck said:

A real disappointment in terms of the attendance and you have to wonder if York will be soon looking for new pastures.  Would a Mississauga location be a prime spot or just another black hole similar to what is going on right now....

Probably the latter but don't underestimate the ability of the GTA to come up with a long line of self-made multi-millionaires from a first generation immigrant background who have always dreamed of owning a pro soccer team and will keep a team going even if almost nobody is showing up to watch them. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bruno Hartrell kept the Lynx going for years pre-TFC and if Marco Reda (?) is to be believed they were paying players from TO about as much as York United do now twenty years ago. Think you need to be about as far down the 401 as Kitchener before there would be some prospect of drawing respectable four figure crowds. It's much the same scenario with junior hockey. The GTA doesn't want to know if it isn't the Leafs but regional cities can draw 5000+.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well they halved their crowd with the spat with the generation ix supporter group.

I also feel the general Canadian soccer crowd is more likely to be cautiously staying home than other sports. 

The clubs and league itself needs to do a better job marketing itself and the teams. If we can get the pandemic situation closer to being behind us then I hope the money saved not doing enough promo will be ploughed out next season.

Clubs need to be visible, making connections and a difference in their community. Lots are doing that though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

All the audio from the post game press conference of Sunday October 3, 2021 CPL game between York United FC (Jimmy Brennan and Noah Verhoeven) and HFX Wanderers FC (Peter Schaale and Stephen Hart) http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports21/21york064.htm

BTW thanks for posting these - gives us some insight into what is going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Terry_Canuck said:

A real disappointment in terms of the attendance and you have to wonder if York will be soon looking for new pastures.  Would a Mississauga location be a prime spot or just another black hole similar to what is going on right now.

Wanderers unbeaten in 10 now...good to see Garcia get back on the scoresheet in Morelli's absence. 😀

 

TFC is drawing flies too this year, TFC is even more of a head scratcher with the average crowds they have been getting since 2007 average 19000 to 22000 almost every year. I don’t care about excuses and Covid , what other sports teams goes from that kind of average for all those years to basically a few thousand just like that? It makes you wonder how much of true soccer fans these people are that would drop a team on mass just like that. So then you would think that maybe a 1000 former TFC fans would go to York ? But no nothing not even to York this year , probably because not true soccer fans they were just there for the event. Toronto becoming a lost cause for pro soccer right now . CPL needs to forget about the GTA and get into a smaller market far enough from the GTA unfortunately. The only thing that matters in Toronto are the Leafs,Jays and Raptors and that’s it .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

...probably because not true soccer fans they were just there for the event...

They'll no doubt find a way to reload on DP signings (Pozuelo and Soteldo are both very good players and Altidore was as well at one time but they don't appeal to the most important soccer community demographics in a GTA context in the sort of way Giovinco did) and bring in a big name coach like Pirlo to get the gravy train flowing again.

It's clear for all to see now though that it's only that sort of angle that pulls in the big crowds in Canada's largest media market rather than through thick and thin passion for the team and sport. Much of the rhetoric that surrounded the launch of CanPL was in the realm of fantasy because a lot of people simply didn't grasp that.

Anyone who went to Lynx games 15 to 20 years ago should have had a good idea how things still would be now if Joe Volpe had never been arranged the funding for a stadium in Toronto for the U-20 World Cup in 2007. Much the same as a York United game in other words. The one huge positive to emerge out of CanPL has been Halifax. Proving to municipal politicians and would be investors in mid-sized markets that that level of spectator interest can be emulated elsewhere in the sort of cities where junior hockey does well will probably be what makes or breaks the league in its current business model.

Can understand why people are calling for York United to be relocated ASAP but there's a good chance the Greenpark Homes guy is the latest Bruno Hartrell and that another would soon emerge even if he isn't. Low budget pro soccer is almost impossible to kill off in the GTA in a cockroaches and coyotes after a nuclear winter sort of way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one important lesson learned from Halifax is a centrally located stadium, in close proximity to bars, restaurants, higher density residential areas, major bus routes, and existing public parking.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They'll no doubt find a way to reload on DP signings (Pozuelo and Soteldo are both very good players and Altidore was as well at one time but they don't appeal to the most important soccer community demographics in a GTA context in the sort of way Giovinco did) and bring in a big name coach like Pirlo to get the gravy train flowing again.

It's clear for all to see now though that it's only that sort of angle that pulls in the big crowds in Canada's largest media market rather than through thick and thin passion for the team and sport. Much of the rhetoric that surrounded the launch of CanPL was in the realm of fantasy because a lot of people simply didn't grasp that.

Anyone who went to Lynx games 15 to 20 years ago should have had a good idea how things still would be now if Joe Volpe had never been arranged the funding for a stadium in Toronto for the U-20 World Cup in 2007. Much the same as a York United game in other words. The one huge positive to emerge out of CanPL has been Halifax. Proving to municipal politicians and would be investors in mid-sized markets that that level of spectator interest can be emulated elsewhere in the sort of cities where junior hockey does well will probably be what makes or breaks the league in its current business model.

Can understand why people are calling for York United to be relocated ASAP but there's a good chance the Greenpark Homes guy is the latest Bruno Hartrell and that another would soon emerge even if he isn't. Low budget pro soccer is almost impossible to kill off in the GTA in a cockroaches and coyotes after a nuclear winter sort of way. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Haligonian#1 said:

I think one important lesson learned from Halifax is a centrally located stadium, in close proximity to bars, restaurants, higher density residential areas, major bus routes, and existing public parking.

 

Lets Go Reaction GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...