Should Canada host the Gold Cup?

TGAA_Star

As far as the CONCACAF Gold Cup, do you think Canada should be able to host it here in the future, especially as a sole host? I mean we are already hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup or co hosting it with USA and Mexico. But as far as the Gold Cup though, we should be at least given the opportunity don't you think?

I mean with CONCACAF Gold Cups, USA always hosts it. So don't you think other countries in CONCACAF especially Canada should be given the chance to host?

CONCACAF won't change the Gold Cup in the near future.  

In 2015 Toronto couldn't get 17K out for a double-header that had Canada v. Costa Rica in one game and Jamaica v. El Salvador in another.  What is the realistic chances of drawing much of a crowd, in for example Calgary, if the double header was something like Honduras v. T&T and Bermuda v. Antigua and Barbuda?

I realize having the Pan Am games going on in Toronto at the very same time almost certainly had a serious impact on attendance at BMO that night, but I'm not sure soccer is a big enough draw in Canada.  During the 2015 Women's World Cup, there were multiple games with less than 10K in attendance.

I think there is a possibility that Canada could effectively co-host and have cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Hamilton each have a day where they host a double-header as a one-off.  I don't think each city could host multiple such days.

I wish the Gold Cup was a bigger deal here in our region than I think you would see different regions take turn and hosting it . But it is not  , I think in the next few editions we will see Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton maybe hosting games as 2026 approaches, involving Canada playing someone, One thing I do like about the Gold Cup are the double headers in. Actually its the only thing I like about it. 

I definitely want Canada to host it alone. Short term yes it would leave money on the table, but moving the tournament around could help grow the tournament. If Central America hosted it for example, it would increase the chances of a Central American team winning it all. If it helps teams seem “big” and draws more eyeballs on TV in future editions, that is good for the tournament. And maybe if Canada hosts it, it would grow awareness of the tournament and draw more interest in the future.

I can’t back it up but part of me thinks part of the reason for the USA’s rise over the last 30 years has been due to hosting this tournament. If it can grow the game in the USA, it can grow the game here, and grow the stature of the tournament elsewhere.

I know that isn’t going to happen anytime soon, so here is my tiny ask for change. If it is going to be held in the USA every tournament, instead of picking 16 cities and having teams crisscross the country, they should use something like 6 cities in one area of the USA (like one of east coast, south, central, or west coast). Reduce the travel to reduce the fatigue and increase the level of play. Plus it could help reduce feelings that the tournament is designed to try to get certain outcomes. Like how Mexico (and as a result, us as well) last time had ridiculous travel in the group stage, presumably to help give an edge to USA.

We should at least have a few games like 2015,  Have a group stage centered on BMO and Stade Saputo, 6 games.  Give us the group without Mexico or the states and you wont leave money on the table, we'll get as good a crowd as Dallas, Clevland, Minn or KC (15-20000).  Less travel and it would help our game and be a dry run for 2026 WC games.  

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

We should at least have a few games like 2015,  Have a group stage centered on BMO and Stade Saputo, 6 games.  Give us the group without Mexico or the states and you wont leave money on the table, we'll get as good a crowd as Dallas, Clevland, Minn or KC (15-20000).  Less travel and it would help our game and be a dry run for 2026 WC games.  

I totally forgot about all the travel Team Canada did during the last Gold Cup . Didn't they go from Pasedena to Denver to Nashville ,  and finally to Charlotte NC I don't remember the last city. That's a bit of travel there plus different altitudes.  I agree  with you Bison if you have some of the games involving  The Caribbean nations I think you will see a big crowd at BMO and Saputo 

Group us with costa rica. Jamaica, Haiti, Guatemala, T+T etc, the smaller nations never draws big in the USA anyways, let us play at home and we'll get decent crowds and the zip between montreal and TO is no big deal.  You would think CONCACAF would like this as well.

Plus if the Gold Cup was hosted here in Canada with Canada as a sole host, the 6 venues you could use for a hypothetical Gold Cup would of course be:

1- Toronto (BMO Field)

2- Montreal (Olympic Stadium)

3- Vancouver (BC Place)

4- Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium)

5- Ottawa (TD Place)

6- Winnipeg (IG Field)

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Plus if the Gold Cup was hosted here in Canada with Canada as a sole host, the 6 venues you could use for a hypothetical Gold Cup would of course be:

1- Toronto (BMO Field)

2- Montreal (Olympic Stadium)

3- Vancouver (BC Place)

4- Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium)

5- Ottawa (TD Place)

6- Winnipeg (IG Field)

7- Regina (Mosaic Stadium)

8- Calgary (McMahon Stadium)

Plus with a Gold Cup in Canada, they can advertise the hell out of it. I mean every continental competition like Asian Cup, African Cup of Nations, EURO, Copa America...they always change the venue every time but not for the Gold Cup and that is unfortunate. Because by moving it around, you further grow the game in other parts of CONCACAF.

Plus another reason why the Gold Cup should be hosted in Canada is that the travel will not be as hard on the visiting sides who are playing here. Not to mention by rotating the Gold Cup, it shows a sign of legitimacy.

If you guys want to talk about the 2015 game than that's fine but bare in mind that was one game Canada hosted barely, announced not that long prior and poorly promoted.

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Plus another reason why the Gold Cup should be hosted in Canada is that the travel will not be as hard on the visiting sides who are playing here. Not to mention by rotating the Gold Cup, it shows a sign of legitimacy.

If you guys want to talk about the 2015 game than that's fine but bare in mind that was one game Canada hosted barely, announced not that long prior and poorly promoted.

I've already mentioned above Vic said no.