Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: August 5, 2019 - HFX Wanderers v Valour

Match is at 4:30 pm AT (3:30 pm ET) on One Soccer.

Rematch of the Voyageurs Cup 2nd Round, where HFX advanced.

In the CPL spring season the 2 matches were split with the home team winning each time

Prediction: HFX 1 Valour 2.

I know I'm predicting more than one goal for Valour and I know that event is rarer than hens' teeth but lightning actually DOES sometimes strike twice. Actually, I am encouraged by recent Valour performances and recent signings and recent tactics and Petrasso's return. The cut and thrust of football results is not as random as it seems and I think it is time for that elusive W.

Sorry HFX fans, but I think the Wanderers are the weakest CPL team. And having beaten Valour three times in a row, I think we start a regression to the mean. No doubt these words will come back to haunt me.

Posted (edited)

Preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-hfx-wanderers-fc-vs-valour-fc-match-52

Valour team news:

I believe Farago is nursing an injured hand and is out. Artemenko comes in as back up, or even starter if Janssens injury is not healed. Musse likely still out injured. Both Sacramento and Beland-Goyette went off with injuries vs. Pacific and are doubtful. Petrasso now healthy but it would be wise to re-introduce him slowly rather than quickly and lose him for another eight weeks. Not to mention that he is probably not yet physically ready for a full 90 mins.

My projected Valour line up (4-2-3-1):

Goal: Janssens

Defence (R-L): Murrell, Thomas, Mitter, Arguiñarena.

Holding Mid: Galán, Ohin.

Attacking Mid: Carreiro, Bustos, Attardo.

Forward: Paolucci.

Edited by Lofty

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-hfx-wanderers-fc-vs-valour-fc-match-52

Valour team news:

I believe Farago is nursing an injured hand and is out. Artemenko comes in as back up. Musse likely still out injured. Both Sacramento and Beland-Goyette went off with injuries vs. Pacific and are doubtful. Petrasso now healthy but it would be wise to re-introduce him slowly rather than quickly and lose him for another eight weeks. Not to mention that he is probably not yet physically ready for a full 90 mins.

Didn't know that about Sacramento and LBG. I thought in the case of LBG it was on account of the first half yellow and the fact he had been very poor.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why would petrasso not start? 

I think he's suggesting that with Petrasso coming off a long injury, one he has already re-injured this season, it might be best to ease him back into things and not give him too many minutes.

I say give him a half, at least. And why not the first half.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think he's suggesting that with Petrasso coming off a long injury, one he has already re-injured this season, it might be best to ease him back into things and not give him too many minutes.

I say give him a half, at least. And why not the first half.

1. Exactly.

2. It really depends on how much you want him to play. If 60 mins, he starts. If 30 mins, which is what I am suggesting, he doesn't start.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:36 PM, Lofty said:

Prediction: HFX 1 Valour 2.

I know I'm predicting more than one goal for Valour and I know that event is rarer than hens' teeth but lightning actually DOES sometimes strike twice. Actually, I am encouraged by recent Valour performances and recent signings and recent tactics and Petrasso's return. The cut and thrust of football results is not as random as it seems and I think it is time for that elusive W.

Sorry HFX fans, but I think the Wanderers are the weakest CPL team. And having beaten Valour three times in a row, I think we start a regression to the mean. No doubt these words will come back to haunt me.

Have a feeling if Simmons and Langwa back in starting line up today for first time in six games HFX will get their game back on track for another run of games 

@Lofty's earlier post confirmed re: Valour injuries. Note their bench is a man short, though I seem to recall this being the case for a few other away days this year. Not 100% on that though.

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

@Lofty's earlier post confirmed re: Valour injuries. Note their bench is a man short, though I seem to recall this being the case for a few other away days this year. Not 100% on that though.

Petrasso starting though. I was afraid of that. I hope he stays healthy this time.

Looks like teams across the league are using the same game plan against Valour, by far the smallest team in the league.

Play bully ball, test the limits of the referee, and crowd the box on corners, where both keepers have proven to be shaky.

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Cooling break.

Seen that.  Couldn't believe it.

25 degrees?  Cooling break?  Who's Mum was suppose to bring the oranges?

Well, that was a half, I guess.

Ohin and Petrasso the only Valour players who are playing with their heads clear of their ass.

Ref 'letting 'em play', which is bad news for good soccer.

Mitter and Arguinarena again not on the same page on the left side in defense. 

Lucky to still be at 0-0.

HFX first to almost every ball. That is a sign of a team that wants it more.

How the hell did HFX not score in that first half? There were about 3 or 4 moments when I thought a goal was certain.

HFX look to have been told to shoot on sight. They should have read the book on Janssens which would have told them to put in lots of crosses instead. 

OK.  Great save Oxner, pretty good save by Janssens too after Murrell tackled into him.

Pitch looks good. 

Bustos invisible until he drops deeper to help with the defending.  Have to get him into the match.  But Wanderers look like they want to abuse 'arena so maybe wrong touchline.  

Speaking of Bustos..which is worse, Bustos' right peg or Garcia's?

Scary for Valour but it just feels like Wanderers can get cracked on the counter.  Easier said than done but man, sure looks like its there. 

It's going to take a kind ball to open this match.  

On the bright side Ohin, who's looking alert, kept a shot no more than 12 feet off the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Well, that was a half, I guess.

Ohin and Petrasso the only Valour players who are playing with their heads clear of their ass.

Ref 'letting 'em play', which is bad news for good soccer.

Mitter and Arguinarena again not on the same page on the left side in defense. 

Lucky to still be at 0-0.

Mitter has done his part.  Arguinarena is getting a hard test though.