Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: August 5, 2019 - HFX Wanderers v Valour

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

But a lot of teams in this league have that problem; Valour does create chances.  I think your team just have these awful defensive lapses that keep on happening.  

I don't know where to find them, but I think the numbers would also bear out that Valour don't create chances.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't know where to find them, but I think the numbers would also bear out that Valour don't create chances.

I thought HFX made a LOT more good scoring chances today.

20 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This ref has got to be disciplined after this one. 

No, Out right fired. Missed penalty, hand ball goal, tons of cards, getting in players space. This guy has no play in pro soccer. Allowing all the delays and carding the other team for protesting. 

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Larson is just the worst.

You know what?  He says some stuff that gets me asking "WTF have you been smoking?" and other times he seems like he knows what he's talking about. 

Today he called Sacramento a bench player in this league?  Have you been watching?  Says Carriero needs to become part of this team.  Again, have you been watching?  How much does a losing team invest in trying to make Carriero a value for this team?

Shrug.  Different people see the game differently.  Would be boring if we didn't.  

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

I thought HFX made a LOT more good scoring chances today.

I don't think either team created much of anything. I can imagine a neutral watching wouldn't have much at all to raise the heart rate until Mad Max broke out.

I don't know about anybody else but I find it encouraging that our next match is away to York on Saturday.  Best team in the league right now in my books.  

Ug. 

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I haven't watched a lot of these post games. Petrillo and Conway are excellent. Just need a warm body in the third seat.

They are also married

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I don't know about anybody else but I find it encouraging that our next match is away to York on Saturday.  Best team in the league right now in my books.  

Ug. 

Might not be as bad as you think. We got no breaks from the ref today. Sometimes a blow up is just what is needed: bunker mentality and all that.

They need to regroup and come out like they mean it.

38 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

You know what we need right now?  Just to make things that much better?

A vote of confidence by Wade Miller in Valour manager Rob Gale. 

I doubt Wade Miller has watched a single minute of Valour football this year away from IG Field.

Kurt Larson - "No collective desire in Valour'  -  I agree 

That game should have been over in the first half.  HFX ripped our midfield to shreds.  No Valour shots in the second half.  We were outcoached and outplayed.  

Yes, HFX goal was a hand ball, but again we are beaten on another corner kick.  We are dreadful on set pieces.  And that can not be blamed on the ref.

Murrell was embarrassing.   Throw the book at him.  Clearly not fit to be captain.  

3 wins in 17 games.  With the solid support shown by the Valour faithful, this can not be viewed as acceptable.  

30 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You don't get hanged for kicking a table!

That was a lot more then kicking a table. He kicked a table with a old man sitting at it trying to do his job. Launching the items and table at said old man. That’s assault. 

Murrel could be banned for the rest of the season and I wouldn’t bat an eye. 

Very entertaining 80+ posts by Valour fans. 

The bad run reminds me that the PDL team in Winnipeg came dead last in PDL (USL2) this season, there must be something in the water. It's a sort of curse.

Seriously though, I much prefer the league when there is a bit more parity and would prefer to see Valour do better, for the sake of the club's future and fan support.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Very entertaining 80+ posts by Valour fans. 

The bad run reminds me that the PDL team in Winnipeg came dead last in PDL (USL2) this season, there must be something in the water. It's a sort of curse.

Seriously though, I much prefer the league when there is a bit more parity and would prefer to see Valour do better, for the sake of the club's future and fan support.

Valour has far less talent on its roster than most teams, but not less than Halifax. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

**** I wish I would have watched this game.  

Jono is still a little salty!

Wasn't a classic. Valour didn't create much and HFX fully deserved the win.

Murrell's madness wasn't as bad as some are making out. First a tiny little push on the ref as he backed away (upset he didn't get a free kick), that wouldn't have floored a 3 year old. But you touch the ref and you rightly get a straight red.

Then, as he was going off and walking past what looked like a time keeper's table he gave it an almighty kick that, had it been a ball, would have gone a hundred yards or more. Water bottles and miscellaneous artifacts flew but the old boy on the other side of the table, who nearly got toppled over backwards, to his great credit took it all in stride. Nobody hurt (except maybe Murrell's foot). Then Murrell brushed past what was presumably a security guard standing in front of the door to the dressing rooms. Again very minimal contact and the security guard was unfazed.

I'm not defending Murrell as he was way out of line but let's not act as though somebody died or even got hurt. He will get supplementary games but it won't be one hundred!

Personally, I'm much more annoyed that the ref doesn't think grabbing a handful of shirt and tugging is a foul -- which is what was done to Petrasso in the last minute in -- you guessed it -- their penalty area. Oh, and the winning goal was rather slyly knocked in with a hand.

Edited by Lofty

If only Valour could produce that kind of passion on the pitch. About half way through I was lamenting that HFX just looked hungrier, while Valour looked as though they were having a kick about. Frankly they show more passion in training.

Good thing Fergie wasn't waiting for them in the dressing room or there would have been a lot more than boots flying after that sorry display.

One thing I was going to mention as the game was drawing to a close, before things got a bit weird, was that I thought Thomas had one of his better games. Honestly, he's been playing better since he cut his hair.

The shove on the ref is soft, but could be 6 games.

The kick of the table where a person is working, doing his job, with a risk to his well-being, is pathetic and deserves more. You cannot put anyone working a game at risk that way without being severely sanctioned for it. I think he is done for the season. If Valour appeals and he makes a personal apology to the guy working the game on the sidelines, he may be back before the year ends. 

There will also be an undisclosed fine from whoever does this for the CPL ( I am not sure how the disciplinary system works).

That tug on Petrasso (was it) just has to be a penalty, even if the ref deems the player got his play away, it is too blatant to be missed. If the ref was in the wrong position on it, and the linesman, then they were both doing a terrrible job. I am not sure that will be a mitigating factor for Murrell, but it was certainly one of the gravest errors we have seen all year in the league.