Match Thread: August 5, 2019 - HFX Wanderers v Valour

The shove on the ref is soft, but could be 6 games.

The kick of the table where a person is working, doing his job, with a risk to his well-being, is pathetic and deserves more. You cannot put anyone working a game at risk that way without being severely sanctioned for it. I think he is done for the season. If Valour appeals and he makes a personal apology to the guy working the game on the sidelines, he may be back before the year ends. 

There will also be an undisclosed fine from whoever does this for the CPL ( I am not sure how the disciplinary system works).

That tug on Petrasso (was it) just has to be a penalty, even if the ref deems the player got his play away, it is too blatant to be missed. If the ref was in the wrong position on it, and the linesman, then they were both doing a terrrible job. I am not sure that will be a mitigating factor for Murrell, but it was certainly one of the gravest errors we have seen all year in the league. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

When i met you I was working as a sideline reporter, that much is true

but even then I knew I'd make to update desk either with or without you

I am so, soooo tempted.

But not here, not now.  I'm keeping this one in the armory for now. 

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Personally, I'm much more annoyed that the ref doesn't think grabbing a handful of shirt and tugging is a foul -- which is what was done to Petrasso in the last minute in -- you guessed it -- their penalty area. Oh, and the winning goal was rather slyly knocked in with a hand.

I though that goal may have gone in off an arm!  Hard to follow on my monitor in real time but the panel covered it extensively.  OK, it got missed, they do, but Petrasso's shirt getting stretching into a banner in the penalty area?  You get away with that you go straight out and by a lottery ticket because today is your day, son.  People would have talked about a third penalty in added time saving Valour but so what?  They won't be talking about the call, they'd be talking about Valour's nine-lives.  That call gets made 99% of the time. 

This league is as much about developing officials and media as it is about developing players.  ?!!  I exaggerate but the point stands.  The emotions of the day got into the ref and it showed in his performance.  HOPEFULLY he does better next time. 

Gutierrez is going to get a few matches under his belt this fall season.     

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

We are now in the unfortunate position of waiting for someone to spot us a "pity win". Obviously you were not in a position to do that. Maybe York. 😉

Cavalry literally gifted you a pity win. 3 games in 6 days, tons of travel, played the b squad... and you still couldn’t take the win haha.

19 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Ah, that explains why Ledgerwood didn't shake the ref's hand at the end. Here was I thinking it was because he gave us a late pen but in actual fact it was because he DIDN'T give us a second late pen for the win haha.

By the way, you might want to look up the meaning of the word "literally" so that you don't look stupid when you use it.

INFORMAL
used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

So yeah...

3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

We sure do appreciate that! We really needed the 3 points top pick us up   lol

No worries.  Plenty more were those came from.

Well, maybe not that many.  But enough to go around for the next 12 or 13 matches!

I'm expecting more games to come based on this paragraph:

"Murrell received a 3-match ban for his red card, as is standard by Canada Soccer’s disciplinary proceedings. Further action could be taken by Canada Soccer if deemed appropriate by their disciplinary committee."

Well, make a joke about it if you want.  But this is serious stuff.

You know it's a slippery slope if these sorts of things don't get addressed early enough.  It all probably started back in the day, punting a few empty pop cans down the pavement.  No big deal right?  Then kicking at the tires of the chained up bicycles outside the convenience. Boys wil be boys!  And just look.  NOW it's patio furnature.  Won't even realise it's happened 'til it's too late.

BOOM!  You're Eric Cantona.

We can only hope and pray it's not too late for Murrell. 

Edited by Cheeta
spelling nazis

On 8/9/2019 at 1:58 PM, Lofty said:

It is a little known fact that Football Associations around the world consider violence against garden furniture to be by far the most serious offence a player can commit: much more serious than violence against a person. I mean, garden furniture never hurt anyone, right?

Bekker got a two game suspension for violence against a person so yeah, Murrell is probably looking at 50 games at least, maybe even 100. That poor table was clearly traumatized and is probably undergoing therapy at this very moment.

Another idiotic post, you just don't stop, do you? There was a human being who was lucky not be hit by anything behind that table, things went flying all around him; and two other people working the game nearby who were startled. Then he pushed past a security person. There was also something of value potentially damaged. It was reckless lack of care and attention to another individual. 

I understand people living off their parents or the state do not appreciate what it is to respect someone who works for a living. He deserves either a further ban or a fine. If he did not personally apologize to that man working the table, he is a fool, but you'd know more about that category than I.