Match Thread - Apr 28th - Pacific FC vs HFX Wanderers FC

Admin

Glad to hear that the crane will go higher for the camera, because from what I saw of the highlights, that camera angle was unacceptably low. I thought the stadium and the crowd looked great, the perfect sort of venue I was envisioning for the CPL. Well done Victoria, I hope they are able to keep it up.

Still nothing at all on TSN's website even reporting the scores or standings after two games. This is fairly disgraceful and really smells suspicious, like the lack of coverage is a directive from Bell, making them look too partisan and unnecessarily worried that this will be bad for the Canadian MLS teams, when in fact it won't. When the V-Cup matches happen between MLS and CPL teams, are TSN going to report that, say, the Vancouver Whitecaps played an unidentified team from an unidentified league rather than admit that its the Forge/Cavalry/Pacific?

Sharing this tactical review blog that I came across in the Hamilton-York match thread. Edit: just saw that it was posted upthread, but enjoy anyways lol.

https://thefutureisstrikerless.wordpress.com/2019/04/29/pacific-fc-1-0-hfx-wanderers-fc-silberbauers-multidimensional-squad-holds-on-for-victory-over-impotent-wanderers/

Edited by ironcub14

41 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Glad to hear that the crane will go higher for the camera, because from what I saw of the highlights, that camera angle was unacceptably low. I thought the stadium and the crowd looked great, the perfect sort of venue I was envisioning for the CPL. Well done Victoria, I hope they are able to keep it up.

Still nothing at all on TSN's website even reporting the scores or standings after two games. This is fairly disgraceful and really smells suspicious, like the lack of coverage is a directive from Bell, making them look too partisan and unnecessarily worried that this will be bad for the Canadian MLS teams, when in fact it won't. When the V-Cup matches happen between MLS and CPL teams, are TSN going to report that, say, the Vancouver Whitecaps played an unidentified team from an unidentified league rather than admit that its the Forge/Cavalry/Pacific?

In fairness, although there is nothing on the website, Wileman and Caldwell talked glowingly about the CPL starting during the TFC game broadcast (I listened to the first half on the radio on my way home from the Forge/York game).  They also showed highlights of the game at halftime and, again, talked up the importance of the league.  I taped the Whitecaps game and watched it sporadically, but could have sworn Schaad also talked up the league launch.

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Sharing this tactical review blog that I came across in the Hamilton-York match thread. Edit: just saw that it was posted upthread, but enjoy anyways lol.

https://thefutureisstrikerless.wordpress.com/2019/04/29/pacific-fc-1-0-hfx-wanderers-fc-silberbauers-multidimensional-squad-holds-on-for-victory-over-impotent-wanderers/

Good overview of the game.  Seeing PFC get some goals from open play will be imprtant.  Both Forge and York9 looked dangerous going forward.   Nice thing for us is not to have to wait long for the second game.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

In fairness, although there is nothing on the website, Wileman and Caldwell talked glowingly about the CPL starting during the TFC game broadcast (I listened to the first half on the radio on my way home from the Forge/York game).  They also showed highlights of the game at halftime and, again, talked up the importance of the league.  I taped the Whitecaps game and watched it sporadically, but could have sworn Schaad also talked up the league launch.

Good to know - being at the TFC match in person and still driving home for most of the Vancouver match I wasn't able to see any of that. That makes it seem less conspiratorial, but someone at TSN's website still needs a good swift kick in the you know what!

4 hours ago, Lord Bob said:

Interesting note on this:

Having been there it makes sense. BC Hydro put up signs around the pole saying "just standing here might kill you," I don't know they'd feel good about scissor lifts swaying near the wires.

A couple things. The distance between the hydro lines and that platform for the camera is still massive. Any high truck going through the parking lot or along the road is as high as that, and Hydro does not stop them from driving beneath. If Hydro said that, then it is not serious. Another thing is putting a crane in with a camera.

The reason they are shooting from that side, is clearly because they prefer to show the stand than the street on the other side. Logical.

Shooting from that side of the pitch has a problem: sun. The field lies almost exactly east-west, goal to goal. The sun moves from around noon behind the main stand, to behind the family section, later evening. Like yesterday. So you have the sun facing into the camera if your placement is on that side, effectively, and that caused the glare on the pitch and the hard adjustment to the image at times (that blurry-hazy effect because of the light).

Wednesday game time may give us a totally different look of things, as the lights will be on and there will likely be no glare and a more balanced lighting overall.