Match Thread - Apr 28th - Pacific FC vs HFX Wanderers FC

Admin

Exciting game as Halifax pressed late. Ida seemed to add a lot of energy as a super sub and moving Garcia up top gave them some life. Gutierrez seemed super talented but not sure he always made the right decisions offensively. Nsa might have been the best on Halifax.

On Pacific, Fisk seemed the best player offensively. Staroszik bossed the backline and Chung looked very promising. Village was solid late.

Just wondering how geography is going to play out to an advantage or disadvantage for both of these clubs.  By that I mean they are kinda out there for the visiting teams, especially Victoria, but of course that also means some pretty trying road trips.  Either way, it's going to be tiring by seasons end. 

Pacific leads the league.  Only three goals scored overall so far but also two sending offs so .... 

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Just wondering how geography is going to play out to an advantage or disadvantage for both of these clubs.  By that I mean they are kinda out there for the visiting teams, especially Victoria, but of course that also means some pretty trying road trips.  Either way, it's going to be tiring by seasons end. 

Pacific leads the league.  Only three goals scored overall so far but also two sending offs so .... 

At least the goals exceed the red cards.... 

Halifax

• Great day for the Canadians - Bona, N'Sa, Langwa, Kourouma and obviously Sukunda all impressed me. 
  • Halifax suffering from what will likely be an experience for all clubs this season in having key players on the treatment table and unable to contribute. Good minutes for young Canadians though. 
  • Was confused with Hart after the sending off. Pacific almost always had 10 men in their own half out of possession yet Halifax had 4-5 in their own. I don't know why they were so respectful and reluctant to commit even an extra person forward to get the equalizer. 
  • I agree with Harts assessment, the team need to have more courage but I think he has to take some blame with not going after the game after the red.

Pacific 

• So much to gush about imo. All the young Canadians shined today. Verhoeven was my top pick, although Blasco looked great, Fisk obviously, Baldisimo and Chung. Haber as predicted is going to be a beast in this league, will get a couple of reds imo though and still needs to keep onside more. Credit to Mark Village in goal too.  Both imports look solid. 
  • The short passing and long was great today. Far exceeded my expectation of quality. If they are still adding a couple of more experienced (import) players into this team and Legault breaking through sooner or later they are going to be a real handful. Easily team of the week. Look forward to seeing how the Albertans and Valour match up. 

Other notes

• Thought the officiating was top notch. Congrats there, opposite end of the spectrum from yesterday. 
  • Commentary was fine. Clare Rustad was a bit of a sniper, would have liked her to talk a bit more and maybe not just short deadpan assessments. Somewhere in the middle of yesterdays overkill talking and todays would be good. I liked the contrast in the two commentary teams though. 
  • Couldn't really hear the crowd, which was disappointing. The chants came through a couple of times so it was definitely there but the fan atmosphere came off flatter on the stream than I am sure it was there. 
  • Credit again to Pacific for getting everything together, the ground looked great. Tons of character and tons of room to build more stands in the future in addition to the ones going in over the summer. 

I'll post my thoughts. I thought I'd be more disappointed with a loss, but honestly after a year and a half waiting for this league I'm just over the moon that I just watched Halifax play. 

I've been saying all weekend that this game would be defined by the midfielders. I felt the Wanderers had a much more solid backline, whereas Pacific has a terrifying line of forwards. I think that ultimately Pacific dominated the centre of the pitch, and thus the game. Not having Hocine didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Not having Perea was felt. The Wanderer's attack just felt... toothless. Gutti had moments where I saw what he could do, but he also disappointed me often. Sukunda, N'sa, John, and Garcia were standouts to me throughout the game. Iida definitely looked exceptional once he came on and I feel like he might have earned a start for the next game. Tons and tons of heart.

I hope we get Perea back soon, and he and Gutti can connect, because I don't think our attack is that threatening without him. I also feel like Langwa and Sukunda can play on the wing just as well as on the backline. I hope with Hocine back we try playing 3 at the back with Langwa and Sukunda pushed up a bit, because our midfield didn't excite me and I think I'd rather see our fullbacks play a bit higher. John, Gutti, and Ilda in the mid with Garcia and Perea in front could add some attacking flair?

I also think that a tower is needed for video. The quality of the viewing experience yesterday versus today was very different. I fear that Halifax's home games will have a similar camera angle and it wasn't nearly as good. Hard to keep track of the ball at certain parts of the field. 

Disappointed to get the first loss, but it was a tough first match to have. Overall really happy right now despite the result. Can't wait to fly to Nova Scotia next week to catch the first home game!

Thanks for the feedback on the match! I look forward to watching later today. I cannot wait to be back to actually use my season tickets!

On another note, my only aspect of minor disappointment in this match is the relatively low level of NT eligible Canadians used by Halifax. Forge, York, and Pacific were almost exclusively Canadian. I am not including the guys who count as domestics, but cannot play for Canada. I am a heavily invested (emotionally and a bit financially) Pacific fan, but it is weird feeling so neutral towards every other team. It will kind of be nice to see actual rivalries and feelings develop. However, for now in neutral games I will probably pick who has more Canadians on. 

Forge FC 10/14

York 9 FC 10/14

Pacific FC 11/14

HFX Wanderers 6/14

15 minutes ago, Copes said:

I'll post my thoughts. I thought I'd be more disappointed with a loss, but honestly after a year and a half waiting for this league I'm just over the moon that I just watched Halifax play. 

I've been saying all weekend that this game would be defined by the midfielders. I felt the Wanderers had a much more solid backline, whereas Pacific has a terrifying line of forwards. I think that ultimately Pacific dominated the centre of the pitch, and thus the game. Not having Hocine didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Not having Perea was felt. The Wanderer's attack just felt... toothless. Gutti had moments where I saw what he could do, but he also disappointed me often. Sukunda, N'sa, John, and Garcia were standouts to me throughout the game. Iida definitely looked exceptional once he came on and I feel like he might have earned a start for the next game. Tons and tons of heart.

I hope we get Perea back soon, and he and Gutti can connect, because I don't think our attack is that threatening without him. I also feel like Langwa and Sukunda can play on the wing just as well as on the backline. I hope with Hocine back we try playing 3 at the back with Langwa and Sukunda pushed up a bit, because our midfield didn't excite me and I think I'd rather see our fullbacks play a bit higher. John, Gutti, and Ilda in the mid with Garcia and Perea in front could add some attacking flair?

I also think that a tower is needed for video. The quality of the viewing experience yesterday versus today was very different. I fear that Halifax's home games will have a similar camera angle and it wasn't nearly as good. Hard to keep track of the ball at certain parts of the field. 

Disappointed to get the first loss, but it was a tough first match to have. Overall really happy right now despite the result. Can't wait to fly to Nova Scotia next week to catch the first home game!

Lots of positives for Halifax despite the loss. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Other notes

• Thought the officiating was top notch. Congrats there, opposite end of the spectrum from yesterday. 
  • Commentary was fine. Clare Rustad was a bit of a sniper, would have liked her to talk a bit more and maybe not just short deadpan assessments. Somewhere in the middle of yesterdays overkill talking and todays would be good. I liked the contrast in the two commentary teams though. 
  • Couldn't really hear the crowd, which was disappointing. The chants came through a couple of times so it was definitely there but the fan atmosphere came off flatter on the stream than I am sure it was there. 
  • Credit again to Pacific for getting everything together, the ground looked great. Tons of character and tons of room to build more stands in the future in addition to the ones going in over the summer. 

I agree with everything you said except the sound mix, I thought it was quite good with a nice mix of the players and coaches voices as well as the supporters songs and chants, I was listening in a good environment!

On camera, especially with that one row of trees, it looked a bit like the old pre-MLS days at Swangard, especially with Haber up front. Weird bit of pseudo-nostalgia for me. The uniform colours remind me of J-League or something quite radically 90's. Thought the lack of contrast with the purple jerseys on that big purple-painted wall was a bit much and didn't do much for the camera view at home.

My Mom grew up for most of her young adulthood near here, was a Belmont High grad (IIRC Josh Simpson was too). Hard to believe they managed a pro club with such a great start out that way. Congratulations to them all! Hope to see it all in person this calendar year.

I don't really believe that I went to a game at City Centre Park, where I once watched the Victoria Highlanders play the Whitecaps PDL team for dozens of people, to see nearly 6,000 people go nuts for the home team. It doesn't feel right.

Halifax was lesser but could easily have drawn and it wouldn't have been a crime. Holy moly MacNaughton was good value for that second yellow (and I had been enjoying his game before that). Saw Verhoeven pretty bad in the first half, apart from a couple good passes, but really grew into it in the second. Haber is not going to score as much in this league as some people hoped but he did some good out there; if he can channel his inner Emile Heskey that won't be bad for anyone. The guys need to learn that Fisk aside their front line is not really mobile but that'll come.

Amazing experience. I am a happy man. Thank you to the HFX fans who made the trip.

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Halifax

• Great day for the Canadians - Bona, N'Sa, Langwa, Kourouma and obviously Sukunda all impressed me. 
  • Halifax suffering from what will likely be an experience for all clubs this season in having key players on the treatment table and unable to contribute. Good minutes for young Canadians though. 
  • Was confused with Hart after the sending off. Pacific almost always had 10 men in their own half out of possession yet Halifax had 4-5 in their own. I don't know why they were so respectful and reluctant to commit even an extra person forward to get the equalizer. 
  • I agree with Harts assessment, the team need to have more courage but I think he has to take some blame with not going after the game after the red.

Pacific 

• So much to gush about imo. All the young Canadians shined today. Verhoeven was my top pick, although Blasco looked great, Fisk obviously, Baldisimo and Chung. Haber as predicted is going to be a beast in this league, will get a couple of reds imo though and still needs to keep onside more. Credit to Mark Village in goal too.  Both imports look solid. 
  • The short passing and long was great today. Far exceeded my expectation of quality. If they are still adding a couple of more experienced (import) players into this team and Legault breaking through sooner or later they are going to be a real handful. Easily team of the week. Look forward to seeing how the Albertans and Valour match up. 

Other notes

Good post, I agree with most everything. 

I think for the supporters sections, it is important to teach people chants. And to do some simple chants that can shine through at certain moments. Many are too complicated, they are songs, and that does not always work. We heard on tv the drums resounding, and could not really identify any specific chant that would be familiar, if there were any.  I am saying this for all groups in all stadiums.

You have a whole season to teach fans some basics. Yes, we know that many fans do not join in, but you should be able to get those others into a few chants each game. Your standard White----Caps echoed across BC Place is the one that works there. The point is not to think it is us marvellous supporter groups against the rest of the stadium. 

At one point a group of kids started doing a Pacific FC chant, perhaps they were behind the other goal, or that group dressed as if from a single team to the left of the main stand. That was nice, also cute to hear kids voices.

Overall, you could see that footie crowd was knowledgeable, you saw them applauding long passes to someone's foot, they complained at the right spots about reffing calls, they awarded tenacious defending up high with applause (Chung once in front of the main stand, most notably). So the fans know the game, as is to be expected from the old guard in Victoria. And I suspect they also know a bit of footie culture, even though they may not have had it near since back in Great Britain (Victoria and the island have less contintental European immigration). 

From our perspective in the Supporters End it was a magnificent day. Like the team, we gelled over the course of the game and hopefully on Wednesday we will be more coordinated with our chants.

Some issues to sort out (ie. one of the shuttles from downtown left an hour late)  but overall the game-day experience was pretty solid IMO.