Match Thread - Apr 28th - Pacific FC vs HFX Wanderers FC

Admin

20 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Westhills now looking great..soccer lines repainted, rugby lines covered, lots of purple with lots of tents on the nice green space behind team benches..good job to everyone for the hard work to get it done

I've been looking at the cam, and some interesting details. 

They painted the hydro pole part way up purple, I guess they had to get permission for that. 

Very late last night, maybe 10 or 11 pm, they had material on the pitch which I think was for the opening ceremony. They were doing placements, and sighting it with cameras. Previously, yesterday, both teams practiced on the pitch. When the first was on it, not sure which, they had large figures placed as if players on the pitch, all over 2 metres high, which I think was also to prepare tv images.

The ads are only for TV view, it seems that they have not sold fixed advertising for the fans benefit. That suggests no local sponsors yet? The side opposite the main stand has none--although I see they are putting some up, so may be wrong there.

Another funny detail: the technical areas were marked out for coaches to stand in, but did not align with the bench placements. So in the last day they painted them out, and did them anew.

They have done a lot of work on the pitch these days, a great amount it seems. This morn there were tire marks on it, they went over the whole pitch a number of times to smooth it out and eliminate odd marks. I am confused though: is that natural or artificial?

Looking carefully, I believe they have some seats with sightline problems they will have to sort out soon. Anyone in the bottom row on the main stand has pitch view blocked by the line of ads, and in some cases by fencing. Also, anyone in the wooden stands close to the middle stand, will have to look through a grating at much of the play. I think they'll get complaints and have to adjust, even when the seats are put in and bodies will be a few inches higher. This occurs in many stadiums the world over, the first row is often not used for viewing reasons. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've been looking at the cam, and some interesting details. 

They painted the hydro pole part way up purple, I guess they had to get permission for that. 

Very late last night, maybe 10 or 11 pm, they had material on the pitch which I think was for the opening ceremony. They were doing placements, and sighting it with cameras. Previously, yesterday, both teams practiced on the pitch. When the first was on it, not sure which, they had large figures placed as if players on the pitch, all over 2 metres high, which I think was also to prepare tv images.

The ads are only for TV view, it seems that they have not sold fixed advertising for the fans benefit. That suggests no local sponsors yet? The side opposite the main stand has none--although I see they are putting some up, so may be wrong there.

They have done a lot of work on the pitch these days, a great amount it seems. This morn there were tire marks on it, they went over the whole pitch a number of times to smooth it out and eliminate odd marks. I am confused though: is that natural or artificial?

Looking carefully, I believe they have some seats with sightline problems they will have to sort out soon. Anyone in the bottom row on the main stand has pitch view blocked by the line of ads, and in some cases by fencing. Also, anyone in the wooden stands close to the middle stand, will have to look through a grating at much of the play. I think they'll get complaints and have to adjust, even when the seats are put in and bodies will be a few inches higher. This occurs in many stadiums the world over, the first row is often not used for viewing reasons. 

Artificial Turf.

It was a construction site when Rob and I went there recently. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Artificial Turf.

It was a construction site when Rob and I went there recently. 

I  saw artificial last summer as well. It was thick and I though a bit heavy. Still I am amazed how much work they do on artificial turf then, grooming and smoothing out, it even looked like they were mowing at one point. It is possible it was too long, rugby length, and they chose to shorten it: would they do that?

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I  saw artificial last summer as well. It was thick and I though a bit heavy. Still I am amazed how much work they do on artificial turf then, grooming and smoothing out, it even looked like they were mowing at one point. It is possible it was too long, rugby length, and they chose to shorten it: would they do that?

Interesting.  Not sure if it was longer or not. They certainly already play soccer there, have probably since day one. 

Surprised by a lot of HFX's starting XI. Perea and Hocine obviously injured, which is a bummer. Expected Lamy, De Carolis, and Simmons to all be out there. Still, over the moon to finally watch this squad! Curious how they will line up.