Match Thread - Apr 28th - Pacific FC vs HFX Wanderers FC

Admin

Well you can see strong coaching for Pacific, including who has been chosen to start: all solid. Verhoeven, young and very sharp, for example. Positioning, passing, overall team movements, very sharp.

HFX could need a bit more work, they have talent, but not working as well as a team. Garcia down the right, Gutierrez, they come and go. I think there may be a few adjustments still there. They've gotten deep a few times, a few free kicks and corners, but fairly direct.

I like the camera angle behind the goal, the look of the stadium too. But I prefer a main camera higher up, when the ball moves quickly downfield, the camera flies too and you lose the ball easily. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well you can see strong coaching for Pacific, including who has been chosen to start: all solid. Verhoeven, young and very sharp, for example. Positioning, passing, overall team movements, very sharp.

HFX could need a bit more work, they have talent, but not working as well as a team. Garcia down the right, Gutierrez, they come and go. I think there may be a few adjustments still there. They've gotten deep a few times, a few free kicks and corners, but fairly direct.

I like the camera angle behind the goal, the look of the stadium too. But I prefer a main camera higher up, when the ball moves quickly downfield, the camera flies too and you lose the ball easily. 

I also wonder if a higher camera angle would catch less of that reflection off of the field. 

Love the colours of the stadium! Love the compact environment. Can't wait until this stadium is finished.  I can't help but visualize a rivalry match with another (prospective)BC team in such an intimate environment, and how loud things could get in such a tight place.

Starting to think that Ben Fisk has the flair to be an early threat for MVP, and Blasco could turn into a real breakout performer.

You have got to admit the talent level, and play, is way higher than most expected. I am very pleased overall.

I also think that Hart will go to work, and having next match at home will give them a bit of a push. But if they can't cover properly against a strong passing team like this, they'll spend a lot of the season with their tongues hanging out of their mouths, hoping for a counter or a bit of luck. 

Players taking too many touches or going for something complicated when theres a nice simple option..halifax 8v4 or something like that in that area on the goal they concede..going zonal marking or very weak man to man..kourouma invisible and rampersad getting a lot of touches or passes off..simmons and iida for those two would be interesting

Sukunda, Garcia, Gutti, and John are standing out for me for HFX, but the whole team is still not good enough. They are charging at their opposition instead of passing around them. 

Missing Perea is noticeable too. I feel like we have no real answer in the final third.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You have got to admit the talent level, and play, is way higher than most expected. I am very pleased overall.

I also think that Hart will go to work, and having next match at home will give them a bit of a push. But if they can't cover properly against a strong passing team like this, they'll spend a lot of the season with their tongues hanging out of their mouths, hoping for a counter or a bit of luck. 

I think that for a lot of these players, having a true 6 week, proper professional pre season has done wonders. Tactical preparation, a real chance to gain chemistry on and off the pitch, and of course high fitness levels. I can't even grasp how much this is going to improve the overall depth of the Canadian talent pool.

Just now, Copes said:

Sukunda, Garcia, Gutti, and John are standing out for me for HFX, but the whole team is still not good enough. They are charging at their opposition instead of passing around them. 

Missing Perea is noticeable too. I feel like we have no real answer in the final third.

I feel like Halifax can still get something out of this if they play more direct. Need to play a few counters over the top of the back line. They can’t keep hoping that the striker alone is going to hold it up against 2-3 Pacific players. The right winger looks solid... anyways, need to commit another couple of guys forward and play over the mid if they can’t play through. 

Glad and unsurprised to see my thoughts echoed.

• Need to get a higher elevated camera
  • Turf shine is annoying - How many teams are actually playing on grass? two/three out of seven? I thought that was a league mandate in coming in?

The good stuff

• No nerves today and man I am impressed by the pace and passing quality. Pacific in particular look fantastic imo. Halifax have been good too. Might just be the different camera angle but I feel this is a much higher quality game than yesterday?
  • Great credit for them getting the stadium in good shape. It looks great, its packed. I thought maybe it would be too small, maybe it still is but its packed and the small details like that wall painting (yeah thats going to date quick) make it really pop and look great. Congrats to all involved. 
  • Thats all, gushing about this game so far. love it

33 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

@Unnamed Trialist I think you mentioned in the stadium thread about a lack of local sponsors but it seems the inside of the CanPL field level boards have local advertisements on them so that’s a great sign.

I’m watching with the volume off, why was the HFX goal called back?

Yeah, I saw a bit facing the supporter's section, on the webcam, but just thought it was an error or leftover from something else. So there is a bit on each end zone. The ads on the main stand, up high, are the ones the city of Langford had from before. 

I hate that logo for the stadium, I just assume they'll eventually get to it.

Right now there is low sun in the Pacific keeper's eyes, so they'll have to look at game times. Did you see HFX won the toss and chose sides, so maybe anticipated this?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

As much as the pitch has been tilting it's still only 1 nil.  One swing of the boot.  Just saying

Also, two matches in as a Valour fan I can't help but note that both home supporters are kitted up.  Come next Saturday I'll be wearing pints and attitude but no jersey.

And just like that, down to 10