CanPL Fantasy League

Hey Folks,

Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm just wondering if anyone is already planning or would be interested in helping me organize a fantasy league for next year, just gonna kind of put the word out everywhere and see what comes up.  There will be a few logistical challenges and I'm not sure if there will be any official system for us to use, so it might be pretty manual/basic for the first year.   But I know it wouldn't be quite the same for me without it.

Here's the scoring system I was thinking about - it's pretty basic, but if the stats recorded in the first year of CPL are as limited as I think they might be(no one is expecting passing % for example, are they?) then this should be manageable to keep track of and calculate.

image.png.ec0f3b798daa35bfdd14092262dd0b41.png

I'm not sure if this makes sense or needs tweaks, and we would also need to talk about team selection and things like injuries etc etc.

Curious to hear what people think.

17 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Hey Folks,

Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm just wondering if anyone is already planning or would be interested in helping me organize a fantasy league for next year, just gonna kind of put the word out everywhere and see what comes up.  There will be a few logistical challenges and I'm not sure if there will be any official system for us to use, so it might be pretty manual/basic for the first year.   But I know it wouldn't be quite the same for me without it.

Here's the scoring system I was thinking about - it's pretty basic, but if the stats recorded in the first year of CPL are as limited as I think they might be(no one is expecting passing % for example, are they?) then this should be manageable to keep track of and calculate.

I'm not sure if this makes sense or needs tweaks, and we would also need to talk about team selection and things like injuries etc etc.

I have no technical ability to help program something like that, but I’d be in as a participant. 

On 10/27/2018 at 2:43 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Hey Folks,

I might be interested in participating. Will see closer to the start of the season.

As for your proposed scoring system, I think there are things to iron out for goalkeepers and defenders. Examples: A clean sheet where a defender is subbed out/in, do those players get a full point? Or no point? What about bench players? It's better for your defender to have been benched than to play and have the team give up a goal? I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is. Would something work like 0.5 points for not giving up a goal (while on the field) from 0-30 minutes, another 0.5 points for minutes 31-60, and another for 61-end of game? If that were instituted you could keep the -0.2 for a goal conceded while on the field I think.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise I think it looks good.

I'm in. You have my e-mail.

As for the scoring system, perhaps 1 point if the player played, and 2 if they played the full game. Provides a starting point for positives and negatives to work on (and is similar to the system used for the EPL). This would also help a little with the defender point issues @Kent mentioned.

I'd probably blow up the points a little. Decimals don't make a lot of sense in this system. Maybe move up to 4 for a goal, 2 for A, -1 for conceded, 2 for clean sheet(D/G), 1 for midfielder clean sheet, -1 for yellow, -2 (or -4) for red. Not sure why you're adding points for a team-win, but 1 point for that works too.

This will blow-up the point total a little bit, but then you won't be saying the difference in points between the top-2 competitors is 0.2, which sounds pretty trivial IMO.

I'm in either way, just be sure to give me an occasional nudge.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:47 AM, Kent said:

I might be interested in participating. Will see closer to the start of the season.

As for your proposed scoring system, I think there are things to iron out for goalkeepers and defenders. Examples: A clean sheet where a defender is subbed out/in, do those players get a full point? Or no point? What about bench players? It's better for your defender to have been benched than to play and have the team give up a goal? I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is. Would something work like 0.5 points for not giving up a goal (while on the field) from 0-30 minutes, another 0.5 points for minutes 31-60, and another for 61-end of game? If that were instituted you could keep the -0.2 for a goal conceded while on the field I think.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise I think it looks good.

Hadn't thought of this.  Yeah, it might get complicated.  I wonder if we could each take a team to keep track of(assuming I can find 7 of us, but pretty close already).  I don't know if I would be able to keep track of all of that for the entire league.  But I could handle doing it for say.. FC Edmonton.

We probably won't be able to know the exact system until fairly close to the start of the season(as I said, not sure what they'll track).  I wonder if I send Pauly B a message if he'll get back to me/know

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping this thread to the front page (shamelessly ;) )

There's nearly 20 of us now, and I think we've more or less settled on a format.  

If you didn't get my email but want in, let me know.  

Here's the tentative format/scoring system:

Format:
Eleven Player Roster - 4 D, 4M, 2F, 1G
Each Manager gets 5 Add/Drops per season - use them wisely
Each manager gets to designate one player(you could call this a "designated player" ;) ) that no other manager may have on their roster.  Other than this, managers can select players that other managers have on their rosters.  This will be determined by a draft(likely draw names out of a hat- once we know the order i'll email people in order with the list of players protected).

image.png.f848bf29fc00c5cfaec20f3563deb8d9.png

On 12/4/2018 at 1:26 PM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

For players that can play multiple positions how will we place them? For example Ledgerwood or A. Zebbie who can play both mid or defence.

I'm attempting to balance the scoring system enough so that it won't matter.

But it may be a case of choose wisely once the scoring system is set.

• 2 weeks later...