Canadians in MLS - 2018 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Melvin picked up the ball, dropped it, picked it up again, then threw it out, which lead to a great goal for Ferreria of FC Dallas. However, VAR caught Melvin's error because it led to a goal, the MLS goal got called back and then Tigres scored on the resulting indirect free kick. Crazy, and, yeah, Melvin has not been great. Tigres almost scored on a bad pass by him earlier.

First, bad stuff from Melvin. You'd expect a pro keeper to know that he can't do that. Wasn't he the keeper who got scored a weird goal in a MNT game against Bermuda last year?

Second, I find it crazy that VAR is used for a play by the keeper at the other end of the field (because it led to a goal) but cannot being used to review the foul that led to a dangerous free kick near the box (maybe a good example would be Griezman dive against Croatia in the WC final).

Melvin also had an awkward save off a free kick earlier on where the ball bounced off the ground and off his shoulder - while ultimately effective (other than it gave away a corner), it seemed a bit fortunate and not confidence inspiring. The only think I can say in fairness to him is that there had been a downpour late in the first half and it rained through much of the second so the conditions were a bit more tricky than unusual (but nothing freakishly out of the ordinary that we shouldn't expect an MLS keeper to be able to deal with).

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Melvin's got a large-ish sample size of being solid at lower levels so I won't hold this against him too much. Fraser was nominated for player-of-the-match without winning, and generally looked good with the goal, although he had one nightmare back pass. 

The MLS team had the disadvantage of only having one practice together, whereas Tigres U-20 is an actual team, so plays like Fraser's back pass tend to be more likely in those circumstances.

He's usually incredibly responsible with the ball, so I chalk that one up to lack of familiarity with teammates.

24 minutes ago, RS said:

The MLS team had the disadvantage of only having one practice together, whereas Tigres U-20 is an actual team, so plays like Fraser's back pass tend to be more likely in those circumstances.

He's usually incredibly responsible with the ball, so I chalk that one up to lack of familiarity with teammates.

It was going directly to his defender; it's just that the Tigres forward read what he was going to do and gobbled it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Jakovic played 73 minutes as a sub for LAFC in a 1-1 away draw against the Galaxy . It will be interesting to follow the next few weeks for him since LAFC may have a couple of centre back problems. Ciman is probably on his way out and Danilo got injured hence why Jakovic played yesterday. 

With Ciman now officially transferred to a club which comes from a city which is also famous for a certain type of mustard, Jakovic presumably will see his minutes increase again as he moves back to 3rd choice (after LAFC had signed another central defender recently - guessing now that was actually to cover for transferring Ciman).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Edwards comes on middle of the 2nd half, intercepted the ball and set up Nikolic for Chicago’s 4th in a 4-0 romp over Orlando. Will Johnson did not leave the bench for Orlando and Laryea once again was not dressed.

There's a guy who could probably use a change of scenery.  I once thought that he'd be a Robbo Cancon pick up for the Caps next year but a new manager (and possibly a new philosophy of promoting more locally developed players) might change that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived