Canadians in MLS - 2018 Season

Gian-Luca

Petrasso wasn't exposed defensively today partly because the tactical set up of the Crew didn't have a more out and out winger he had to deal with constantly.  He was really aggressive very early in the match with closing guys down in midfield, which was good, but on the winner he posed no pressure to the Crew flank player who played the ball into his teammate leading to the penalty.  Offensively, he had some good and some not so good, mixing a nice play or two with some inaccurate intermediate ground passes.  Mind you, the back line as a whole treated passing the ball around as an adventure with some pretty poor giveaways under no pressure whatsoever.  To me, he seems to be a guy lacking confidence at the moment, which isn't really surprising, but hopefully faith from the manager and hard work will get his overall mojo going.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jakovic and Kaye go the distance as LAFC turn around their 1-0 deficit and thump RSL 5-1. Haven't seen any of the highlights but Jakovic appears to have been called for the PK for RSL's goal. No assists or goals from either Canuck in the 5 LAFC pumped past RSL.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

This season is shaping up to be a lot like last season for him. Glued to the bench. 

Ummm,  Awuah got into yesterdays game against Orlando at the end.  Also had Johnson going 90 and Lareya coming in for 23min.  I think Lareya has been in every game for Orlando this year.  

Morgan and Osorio go 90, Chapman comes on for 31 and Rickettts for 12 as TFC defeat RSL 3-1. Morgan credited with an assist on what turned out to be the game winner (somewhat unintended, but he did well to leave the ball for Altidore and made a nice run to begin with) while Ricketts scored the insurance marker in stoppage time. Fraser and Hamilton left on the bench.

51 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Morgan and Osorio go 90, Chapman comes on for 31 and Rickettts for 12 as TFC defeat RSL 3-1. Morgan credited with an assist on what turned out to be the game winner (somewhat unintended, but he did well to leave the ball for Altidore and made a nice run to begin with) while Ricketts scored the insurance marker in stoppage time. Fraser and Hamilton left on the bench.

Asking as someone who didn't see the match, is Morgan resurrecting his career ATM or is he just an injury / deeper squad fill-in player?

He is doing positive things in the minutes he is getting, which is all you can ask him to do.  He isnt a spring chicken/prospect anymore so on TFC's deep squad he is a injury/filler player.  Maybe a move somewhere else would help with PT, but maybe he is happy with that role in TO.   

9 hours ago, nolando said:

Asking as someone who didn't see the match, is Morgan resurrecting his career ATM or is he just an injury / deeper squad fill-in player?

Both I'd say. What's been pleasing is that Morgan has been very solid defensively in the games we've seen him in this year - I thought he largely owned the much-hyped (in some quarters) Jefferson Savarino last night. He was given a yellow for persistent fouling but as at least two of the fouls called against him were the wrong call, that yellow was in turn also the wrong call. RSL got nothing on Morgan the whole night and the only goal TFC gave up came from some crappy defensive work on the other side of the field (notably another poor Aketxe giveaway to start the whole chain of events).

So I suspect that he remains a player that Vanney will trust to put out there but at the same time I don't think there's much likelihood that he's wresting the starting left back spot from Morrow once he comes back.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

RSL got nothing on Morgan the whole night and the only goal TFC gave up came from some crappy defensive work on the other side of the field (notably another poor Aketxe giveaway to start the whole chain of events).

It's one thing to give the ball away but during the very late stages of the game when he was carrying the ball on the counter towards the RSL penalty area, dallied and then got stripped, he continued jogging away from the play like he was decelerating after failing to make the final of the Olympic 100 m dash.  Meanwhile, the opposition got on their horses and surged away.  I can't see his coach or senior teammates being too impressed with that kind of attitude.  On a play like that, you'd better channel your Usain Bolt and get back on the other side of the ball asap.

Kaye and Jakovic set to start on Fox in the LA derby, De Jong and Teibert starting on TSN at the same time, but not Davies who is on the bench.

No Laryea today as Orlando has used all their subs and he wasn't one of them. Johnson will go the distance unless he gets a red

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It's one thing to give the ball away but during the very stages of the game when he was carrying the ball on the counter towards the RSL penalty area, dallied and then got stripped, he continued jogging away from the play like he was decelerating after failing to make the final of the Olympic 100 m dash.  Meanwhile, the opposition got on their horses and surged away.  I can't see his coach or senior teammates being too impressed with that kind of attitude.  On a play like that, you'd better channel your Usain Bolt and get back on the other side of the ball asap.

There were comments post-game from Vanney in which he said that they lost a bit of their defensive shape when he brought on the subs, but I suspect this was his way of not publicly pointing the finger directly at Aketxe as it is difficult to see how Chapman (who was pretty solid defensively) or Ricketts let the team down in this respect. I am seeing some comments from TFC fans in other forums where they are claiming that Aketxe deserves to start next match because TFC don't score their 3rd goal without his shot. While that is true, they also don't give up the RSL goal without his giveaway deep in his own zone, so I'm not sure that the team is any further ahead as a result of the inclusion on this night.

Jakovic & Kaye play 90 but LAFC blow a 3-0 lead to lose 4-3, with Ibrahimovic coming on as a sub to score the game tying and game winning goals - though the latter was clearly offside and makes me wonder how it could possibly have been allowed in a VAR era. None of the goals allowed were down to Jakovic or Kaye, who both played well (can't say the same about Benny Feilhaber, who had the TSN turning point giveaway of the match). Interestingly Zimmerman is back healthy but Jakovic still retained his starting spot, suggesting that the reports of his demise on the team were premature. On the Fox broadcast the commentators mentioned that when asked which teammate has impressed him the most, Vela selected Kaye for his answer.

Awuah comes on for NYCFC in injury time (apparently he's not allowed to play in the first 90 minutes of any game) but I don't think touches the ball in the few minutes he's on the field. NYCFC beat what still doesn't seem to be a very strong SJ team 2-1.

No Petrasso dressed for Montreal against Seattle, I guess whatever injury he picked up against NZ was serious enough to cause him to miss at least one MLS game. Piette the only Canuck starter for Montreal, although Edwards, AJH & LBG are on the bench.

Archived