Canadians in MLS - 2018 Season

Gian-Luca

If a mod would be so kind as to de-sticky the 2017 thread and sticky this one in its place.....

As of Feb. 27th, the following are the Canucks on 1st team rosters of MLS teams:

Dallas (2): Tesho Akindele, Andonijah Reid

Kansas City (1): Amer Didic

LAFC (2): Dejan Jakovic, Mark-Anthony Kaye

Montreal (10): Anthony Jackson-Hamel, Samuel Piette, Raheem Edwards, Michael Petrasso, Shamit Shome, David Choiniere, Louis Beland-Goyette, Thomas Meilluer-Giguere, Jason Bealieau, James Pantemis

New England (1): Brian Wright

New York City FC (1): Kwame Awuah

Orlando City (2): Will Johnson, Richie Laryea

Toronto (6):  Jonathan Osorio, Tosaint Ricketts, Ashtone Morgan, Jay Chapman, Jordan Hamilton, Liam Fraser

Vancouver (6): Alphonso Davies, Russell Teibert, David Norman Jr., Marcel De Jong, Doneil Henry, Brett Levis

Notes: I haven't included Kofi Opare at DC (who is  not eligible to play for us), Ayo Akinola (who is Canadian but at the moment choosing not to play for us) or David Edgar (unsigned as yet).

31 Canadians in the league isn't quite good enough IMO - Vancouver & Toronto need to improve in this regard (both are cutting it a bit fine when it comes to options for winning the Voyageurs Cup with that few). The last time I counted I had 8 for Vancouver, so not sure what happened to drop them to Toronto's low level (maybe I counted Edgar & Bustos before?).

Hopefully the minutes these players play will improve this year (particularly with the younger players), though I'm not sure how many minutes the 3rd & 4th string keepers in Montreal will get for the first team.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Kofi Opare at DC

It is a mandate passed by FIFA that has prevented him to play for CANMNT... Even though, that mandate was passed like 10 years ago in 08.....  This is what Wikipedia says in regards to this, I wasn't aware myself, as he was always mentioned throughout the course of last season as a potential call-up to CANMNT... Yet he hold Canadian citizenship, but I guess it doesn't matter no more, lmfao... I guess he could have been a good addition given our status atm in defence and in terms to centre backs, right??... What you guys think? 

International

In May 2008 FIFA had updated their regulations with immediate effect and required that players reside "continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association" to become eligible to play for a national team in a competitive game.[16] It was a measure put in place by FIFA to prevent countries offering citizenship to talented footballers and allowing them to play for the national team immediately despite not having any ties to the country.

The change in regulations meant that despite living in Ontario for four years as a teenager, Opare would not be eligible to represent Canadairrespective of holding citizenship unless he lives there for five years after the age of 18

Personal[edit]

Opare holds both U.S. and Canadian citizenship.[18]

42 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Most likely AJH I'd say but reports are he's out a number of weeks with a hamstring injury so he'll get a late start to the season.

Davies in a break out year. 11 goals and then Whitecaps sell him in the off season the day he turns 18 to Leeds (who have been promoted to the Premiership) where he starts every match. A guy can dream . . . 

Just now, Jith12 said:

Is Davies starting for the Caps in preseason? Are we expecting him to be a constant starter this year?

Matt doyle is going to "riot" if he isn't.

And rightly so, Davies has been fantastic in preseason, was fantastic last year in Gold Cup.

Time to give him a real chance.

And btw he did start some games this preseason and has been projected to start this season, but you never know..

Recapping opening day's action, Osorio starts and is subbed out mid 2nd half despite being the best TFC midfielder on the day in a 2-0 loss to Columbus. Ricketts and Chapman stayed on the bench. Also staying on the bench for Dallas and NE respectively were Akindele and Wright.

Johnson played 90 and Laryea 23 in Orlando's 1-1 draw with DC. Johnson was dinged for PK against on VAR after the ball was struck off his hand but Bendik made the save. Not sure how Laryea played but they scored after he came on (trailing at the time) and has a positive Opta rating fwiw.

Looks to me like Kaye should get the 2nd assist on LAFC's first ever goal - they lead Seattle in Seattle 1-0 midway through the first.

confirmed - gets an assist on his MLS debut and the first Canuck to get on the scoresheet in league play

No Didic dressed for KC against NYFC who left Awuah on the bench.

7 Canucks see the field in Vancouver Davies with a goal and assist and Teibert with an assist. Edwards and Davies subbed out in the 2nd half and Choiniere subbed on in the 2nd half while Piette played at CB late in the game. Piette, Petrasso, De Jong and Teibert play 90 and Shome left on the bench. Even though a couple of the Canucks struggled by their standards, I expect Herdman sitting in the crowds will have been pleased with all of the minutes

We still need to sticky this and unstick 2017's thread.

For Montreal against Columbus (starting at 1pm) Petrasso keeps his starting spot as does Piette but Edwards dropped to the bench. Louis  Beland Goyette makes the bench instead of Shome, Pantemis is dropped from the bench in favour of Diop. AJH still injured.

Much better from the Impact Canucks this week even though the end result was the same, a one goal loss. Petrasso didn’t get torched like last time and set up a nice chance that should have been a goal. Piette picked up an assist and had a great 2nd half with a lot of interceptions, while Edwards came on in the second half with an amazing overhead pass that was unlucky not to be a goal and then scored what I think was officially a goalazo before he was blamed by Caldwell for a last minute foul that the Ref actually whistled Krolicki for. Impact deserved a better fate on the day.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:42 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

I don't see Jakovic lasting long, he was barely a MLS starter when he first left the league.

Just gave away a penalty in Salt Lake. Clearly a few steps too slow for the league.

6 minutes ago, badname22 said:

How was he today compared to the game against the whitecaps?

I thought he was okay today. He's never going to be a great defender, but he uses his quickness well. Offers a lot going forward.

Archived