5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It is perhaps fitting that he and Altidore combined for the first TFC goal because I thought between them one of them (more likely Delgado in terms of who was closest) should have challenged for the ball in the air rather than just let them have a clear through ball off a header like that. Even if you don't win the header challenge for it so that they can't just launch a through ball like that. Unfortunately because of the whole away-goals rule it's not exactly a "eye-for-an-eye" situation.

Well, I thought Delgado showed smart positioning, awareness, and hustle in making two really good tackles that snuffed out dangerous counterattacks at vital times of the match (I guess almost every time in a match like this it's vital) and that was a really nice first time pass into Altidore's path for the tying goal.  I haven't re-watched the match to see the first Tigres goal so I can't elaborate.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Well, I thought Delgado showed smart positioning, awareness, and hustle in making two really good tackles that snuffed out dangerous counterattacks at vital times of the match (I guess almost every time in a match like this it's vital) and that was a really nice first time pass into Altidore's path for the tying goal.  I haven't re-watched the match to see the first Tigres goal so I can't elaborate.

Overall he had a good game defensively I agree (as I mentioned, he covered a lot of ground that Vazquez would not have done even if healthy) and his best pass on the night ends up in the back of the opposition net. Other than Vanney though, it appears that everyone is hanging the goat horns on that goal against entirely on Mavinga, which I think is unfair. I'm not convinced that he was slow to react (that wasn't my perception in watching it live anyway), I think it was more of a great play by Vargas on the run showing a little bit of the sort of "shrewd cunning"  (as Holger used to say) to body Mavinga off of him at the right time and open some space for himself to take the shot. The bigger gaffe for me, which I think Vanney alluded to post-game, was that nobody challenged for that header. Teams should never be able to play a through ball like that directly off of your own goal-kick. My recollection was that the ball was heading on the side of the field as Delgado & Altidore were at so between them someone needed to contest for that ball, even for the sake of not gifting a Mexican club side with possession.

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Overall he had a good game defensively I agree (as I mentioned, he covered a lot of ground that Vazquez would not have done even if healthy) and his best pass on the night ends up in the back of the opposition net. Other than Vanney though, it appears that everyone is hanging the goat horns on that goal against entirely on Mavinga, which I think is unfair. I'm not convinced that he was slow to react (that wasn't my perception in watching it live anyway), I think it was more of a great play by Vargas on the run showing a little bit of the sort of "shrewd cunning"  (as Holger used to say) to body Mavinga off of him at the right time and open some space for himself to take the shot. The bigger gaffe for me, which I think Vanney alluded to post-game, was that nobody challenged for that header. Teams should never be able to play a through ball like that directly off of your own goal-kick. My recollection was that the ball was heading on the side of the field as Delgado & Altidore were at so between them someone needed to contest for that ball, even for the sake of not gifting a Mexican club side with possession.

If one those guys didn't challenge for that header, then they need to own their responsibility on that play. More often than not, there are a number of guys involved, not just one.

I thought Delgado had a strong overall performance and Mavinga had a victory preserving challenge; those efforts shouldn't be diminished by the focus on the away goals rule before the second leg has even been played.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

despite all of the 8-0 predictions coming from Mexican fans or US fans on bigsoccer.

That is total BS and don't buy it one bit... Not just saying as a TFC/CDN football supporter, but TFC has sufficient quality/talent to go even with what many considered, pre-game anyways a far more technically skilled side with proven goal scorers at the international game.. However, I am well aware that it is going to be far more intense and consequently tougher on Tues. given the raucous fan support that will await them and everything they will be throwing at them (figuratively speaking, but who knows, it's Mexico and they could be objecting things at the TFC players literally speaking), plus weather factor (don't know how warm it is down at Monterrey) and maybe they will make noise and some firework cracking the night before the game?... I really hope not, but quite likely will happen

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Other than Vanney though, it appears that everyone is hanging the goat horns on that goal against entirely on Mavinga, which I think is unfair. I'm not convinced that he was slow to react (that wasn't my perception in watching it live anyway), I think it was more of a great play by Vargas on the run showing a little bit of the sort of "shrewd cunning"  (as Holger used to say) to body Mavinga off of him at the right time and open some space for himself to take the shot. .

That Game saving tackle that Mavinga made in the dying minutes was as good a play that you will ever see from a defender.  When the attacker received the ball, Mavinga was perhaps five metres behind.  

42 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That Game saving tackle that Mavinga made in the dying minutes was as good a play that you will ever see from a defender.  When the attacker received the ball, Mavinga was perhaps five metres behind.  

It should have been offside!

28741111_10155281769947694_2039473083_n.jpg

7 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

plus weather factor (don't know how warm it is down at Monterrey)

It's going to be about 12 degrees with the possibility of rain. The high that day is only 17-18 degrees. Weather should not be a factor.

15 hours ago, Free kick said:

Considering that he caught up to a guy who was offside to begin with, I'd say it is a better play than you should ever expect to see from a defender.

15 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

That is total BS and don't buy it one bit... Not just saying as a TFC/CDN football supporter, but TFC has sufficient quality/talent to go even with what many considered, pre-game anyways a far more technically skilled side with proven goal scorers at the international game.. However, I am well aware that it is going to be far more intense and consequently tougher on Tues. given the raucous fan support that will await them and everything they will be throwing at them (figuratively speaking, but who knows, it's Mexico and they could be objecting things at the TFC players literally speaking), plus weather factor (don't know how warm it is down at Monterrey) and maybe they will make noise and some firework cracking the night before the game?... I really hope not, but quite likely will happen

I'm exaggerating a little bit, but not by much. I haven't seen anyone actually suggest that Tigres will win 8-0 but I have seen fans (moreso on bigsoccer than the MLS website) say that TFC is doomed because they didn't win by at least 4 goals at home, which implied at the very least a 5-0 scoreline for Tigres in Mexico.

This one feels different, I don't know if it will be but it feels like we can pull something out.  I don't think we have many players who will be overwhelmed by the occasion - of course the big concern is absorbing pressure from a deadly strike force against arguably our biggest weakness at CB.  

24 minutes ago, Keegan said:

This one feels different, I don't know if it will be but it feels like we can pull something out.  I don't think we have many players who will be overwhelmed by the occasion - of course the big concern is absorbing pressure from a deadly strike force against arguably our biggest weakness at CB.  

I just like the threat Giovinco presents, either off the counter or especially off of free kicks.  They pot a couple of goals and then the heat is really on the opposition.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I think they're going through to the final.  They'll expose Tigres on the counter and poach the two goals they'll need.  I don't see this as being a scoreless game.

Well you got that right - with some helpful poaching assistance from Tigres defenders. 

Archived