List of potential Canadian Premier League Players

Blackjack15

Just now, matty said:

I don't think it's a dream. It's fairly possible that higher end players will be getting $80-125k unless the cap is much lower than early reports. A $115k salary would likely interest someone like jackson, as could the likely lighter schedule.

Time will tell, but I do think it's unlikely, but yeah anything is possible. I don't know how much he makes in England, but it is probably more than that. The level won't be as high as league one (I don't think). Why would he want to a lighter schedule?

If I am a 30 year oldJackson I am looking to get back into the Championship. I think at 34 or 35 it would be more realistic.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the quality of this league is such that players like Jackson and Haber are common place, I fear it will be too strong for CIS and amateur stand outs to break into.

The whole point is to create more professional players, so we ought to be careful how high we set the standard when we launch, I think. 

And besides, I don't think we have enough high level pros abroad to fill out rosters with domestic talent. We are going to have to dig into what we have in Canada, and that is largely semi-pro and amateur.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Time will tell, but I do think it's unlikely, but yeah anything is possible. I don't know how much he makes in England, but it is probably more than that. The level won't be as high as league one (I don't think). Why would he want to a lighter schedule?

If I am a 30 year oldJackson I am looking to get back into the Championship. I think at 34 or 35 it would be more realistic.

It's depending on him really but it's possible he follows a similar route to hume at that age. I think jackson is in a better spot player wise but i think there is as you said anything is possible.

Hume was 31, still looked like he could handle league one, had a decent championship run a few years earlier and opted to take the india gig. Jackson could very likely find himself in a similar spot this year (iirc he had an ok run last year but didn't wow).

Average league one guy makes under 68k in gbp which is less than 112k in cad. So if the cap is 1.5m it's possible some stronger guys would sign up.

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If the quality of this league is such that players like Jackson and Haber are common place, I fear it will be too strong for CIS and amateur stand outs to break into.

The whole point is to create more professional players, so we ought to be careful how high we set the standard when we launch, I think. 

And besides, I don't think we have enough high level pros abroad to fill out rosters with domestic talent. We are going to have to dig into what we have in Canada, and that is largely semi-pro and amateur.

I think if you had 1-2 guys like jackson a team plus 2-3 nasl canadians and 3-6 decent foreign talents you should be able to create an environment for l1o, ncaa and cis guys to grow.

I wonder how much money Humey made in India?

I think it would depend on how eager Jackson and others would be to leave British football. The average salary in league one is over 100 k but I wonder if he's above that? He has played in the higher divisons and scored 7 goals last year on a team that finished top half of the table. Doesn't sound like the profile of an average league one guy, anyway.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I wonder how much money Humey made in India?

I think it would depend on how eager Jackson and others would be to leave British football. The average salary in league one is over 100 k but I wonder if he's above that? He has played in the higher divisons and scored 7 goals last year on a team that finished top half of the table. Doesn't sound like the profile of an average league one guy, anyway.

I've heard hume signed for six figures.

I think jackson is probably over but doubt he's making like over 150k

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Isn't Haber injured?

I think Daniel Haber is more likely. I think Marcus still has a lot to offer at the SPL or equivalent level. Same with Simeon Jackson. He would be an absolute star singing for the league. I think that would be like David Villa coming to MLS. Former EPL player and national teamer. Would be huge but I think that's a dream signing.

Haber is injured, but my understanding was that he was out of favour before the injury. I guess being the leading scorer at his club and being a big reason why they weren't relegated last year wasn't enough for him to win over McCann. If he were to be a regular starter upon his return from injury, not much reason for him to play in Canada.

As for Jackson, he hasn't been more than a squad rotation player since Norwich's promotion year. There is a good pedigree from the past, but it'll be 7 years on. He also hasn't been relevant to the national team since his hat trick against St. Lucia. I think he's more of a "Jonathan Spector to MLS" signing than "David Villa to MLS". A fringe national team player with some years left to give who's played at a high level.

If both are looking to win another decent payday at a level like League One, then I can't imagine they would have no interest in CPL. But if both are tired of bouncing around, and are looking for longer term stability with a decent paycheque (compared to an average job anyways), I think a CPL club could have a shot at signing them.

If I were the TD of a CPL club, they're the first people I call.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Haber is injured, but my understanding was that he was out of favour before the injury. I guess being the leading scorer at his club and being a big reason why they weren't relegated last year wasn't enough for him to win over McCann. If he were to be a regular starter upon his return from injury, not much reason for him to play in Canada.

As for Jackson, he hasn't been more than a squad rotation player since Norwich's promotion year. There is a good pedigree from the past, but it'll be 7 years on. He also hasn't been relevant to the national team since his hat trick against St. Lucia. I think he's more of a "Jonathan Spector to MLS" signing than "David Villa to MLS". A fringe national team player with some years left to give who's played at a high level.

If both are looking to win another decent payday at a level like League One, then I can't imagine they would have no interest in CPL. But if both are tired of bouncing around, and are looking for longer term stability with a decent paycheque (compared to an average job anyways), I think a CPL club could have a shot at signing them.

If I were the TD of a CPL club, they're the first people I call.

Jonathan Spector to MLS is a good comparison in that both were UK based and both had a spell in the EPL and both have become peripheral figures for their national teams.

It is a poor comparison in that the Spector is a good singing but not a star singing for MLS. Jackson would be a star singing for the CanPL in the same way Villa was for MLS. 

The fact that Spector and Jackson have fading importance to their national teams is irrelevant, really.

More important is how much better Jackson would likely be than any other striker in the league. I don't think they'll be many in the league with his pedigree, just like their aren't many MLS strikers with Villa's quality.

Again, maybe every team will have a Simeon Jackson level player, but I do think it's unlikely. If they do, it will likely be a cheap, talented South or Central American who makes a name for himself in Canada, rather than someone coming from Europe. My prediction anyways.

Also, pointing out that Jackson has been a rotational player since leaving Norwich is kinda silly. He was even a rotational player at Norwich. I don't think it's a knock against him, if that's what you're getting at.

Furthermore, being a rotational player and scoring 7 goals with a solid league one club, I dont think many NASL players would achieve that, if any. And, if the CanPL is a step up from the NASL, I would be (pleasantly) surprised!

3 hours ago, matty said:

I think if you had 1-2 guys like jackson a team plus 2-3 nasl canadians and 3-6 decent foreign talents you should be able to create an environment for l1o, ncaa and cis guys to grow.

I hope so. That would be sweet. That may in fact happen, but I don't think it will be Jackson or Haber. I think it will be someone like REB

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I hope so. That would be sweet. That may in fact happen, but I don't think it will be Jackson or Haber. I think it will be someone like REB

From the national team i picture straith, thomas, haunaunt, all the nasl guys and 1 or 2 mls guys. That's what a dozen guys for 6 teams?

Simeon Jackson would be a great signing for CPL, and I think as far as we know right now it could be possible. However, I think calling him a David Villa signing is over-selling it. There will not be any David Villa signings in CPL for season 1, just like there weren't any in MLS until that other David came to the league in 2007, season 12. Simeon Jackson would be more like an Eric Wynalda signing, or Roy Lassiter.

If we're comparing Simeon Jackson to David Villa I think we all need to take a step back. It may seem to us like Jackson is a celebrity because we are all addicted to the national team.... But ask any random Canadian who Jackson is and what do you think the chances that they know him are? People will have seen Villa at Euro's and World Cups and for Barca. Do you really think people will recognize a sub who barely played for Norwich in the Prem years ago? It doesn't matter if he's Canadian because Sportnet and TSN never mention that a Canadian is playing in the game anyways unless its an MLS match. 

Jackson would be a good signing I think though as with the right partner he could do well and would likely score some goals and be the most marketable player on your team because of his play and his former EPL & Bundesliga careers. But he would not be a name that you can just announce and have people (who aren't on this forum) get excited about. He'd have to put in the goals first. 

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Simeon Jackson would be a great signing for CPL, and I think as far as we know right now it could be possible. However, I think calling him a David Villa signing is over-selling it. There will not be any David Villa signings in CPL for season 1, just like there weren't any in MLS until that other David came to the league in 2007, season 12. Simeon Jackson would be more like an Eric Wynalda signing, or Roy Lassiter.

Nobody is saying Jackson would br marketed to CanPL as David Villa was to MLS.  I was clearly saying that Jackson would likely be better in terms of quality (not branding, marketing or anything like that) than other CanPL strikers by an order of magnitude similar to Villa and other MLS strikers.

51 minutes ago, BradMack said:

If we're comparing Simeon Jackson to David Villa I think we all need to take a step back. It may seem to us like Jackson is a celebrity because we are all addicted to the national team.... But ask any random Canadian who Jackson is and what do you think the chances that they know him are? People will have seen Villa at Euro's and World Cups and for Barca. Do you really think people will recognize a sub who barely played for Norwich in the Prem years ago? It doesn't matter if he's Canadian because Sportnet and TSN never mention that a Canadian is playing in the game anyways unless its an MLS match. 

Jackson would be a good signing I think though as with the right partner he could do well and would likely score some goals and be the most marketable player on your team because of his play and his former EPL & Bundesliga careers. But he would not be a name that you can just announce and have people (who aren't on this forum) get excited about. He'd have to put in the goals first. 

Again, not talking about image or marketability. Don't know why you guys made that leap.

12 hours ago, matty said:

From the national team i picture straith, thomas, haunaunt, all the nasl guys and 1 or 2 mls guys. That's what a dozen guys for 6 teams?

I think those are more realistic than a Jackson or Haber. Straith has already returned home once, so I can see that happening in particular. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think those are more realistic than a Jackson or Haber. Straith has already returned home once, so I can see that happening in particular. 

I mostly agree but I do think there will be a few higher profile guys. Also a ton of Salvadorians wanting a place to play where they can get national team call ups 

Just now, Blackdude said:

https://www.laprensagrafica.com/deportes/Equipos-desafiliados-a-la-FESFUT-no-prestaran-sus-jugadores-para-el-amistoso-ante-Canada-20170928-0117.html

Descubrió que otro motivo por el que no irán, es porque "no les han dado lo que les prometieron para Copa Oro".

Saw the quote. It's players right? I wasn't sure if it was teams expected some kind of payment

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Nobody is saying Jackson would br marketed to CanPL as David Villa was to MLS.  I was clearly saying that Jackson would likely be better in terms of quality (not branding, marketing or anything like that) than other CanPL strikers by an order of magnitude similar to Villa and other MLS strikers.

Which is why I think a guy like Lassiter is a better comparison. I don't think you can divorce Villa from his name recognition and impact he had on marketing of his team and the league. Lassiter came in and won the golden boot in the first year of the season, even if he wasn't a huge draw from name recognition.

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

Which is why I think a guy like Lassiter is a better comparison. I don't think you can divorce Villa from his name recognition and impact he had on marketing of his team and the league. Lassiter came in and won the golden boot in the first year of the season, even if he wasn't a huge draw from name recognition.

I have no problem with that comparison, except for the fact I had to look him up to see who he actually was. Im sure I wasn't the only one.

At any rate, it looks like Lassiter moved to a brand new MLS from Costa Rica in 1996. I don't know how big of a step down that would have been (if at all), but I'm sure the step down from League One to the CanPL would be significantly greater. That's why I don't think Jackson would go for it. I'd be surprised if he did. I understand some of us think he's washed up, but he's only 30 years old. I just don't see him playing at what will likely be a very low level for comparable money to what he makes now, all things being equal.

Archived