List of potential Canadian Premier League Players

Blackjack15

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if De Jong or Ricketts are well known enough to drum up interest for the average soccer fan? I doubt it. It is only hardcore Canadian fans who are familiar with those guys and we are going to be behind the team regardless. Perhaps that would work on a local level, but it would depend on the market. Like De Jong might capture interest in southern Ontario or the lower mainland, but I don't know about Halifax or Saskatchewan...

I'm sure someone will recall seeing Ricketts on TSN or google de Jong and be like "oh i know the Whitecaps". I agree that their names aren't widely known by any means but they can still penetrate better than the bulk of those listed.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm sure someone will recall seeing Ricketts on TSN or google de Jong and be like "oh i know the Whitecaps". I agree that their names aren't widely known by any means but they can still penetrate better than the bulk of those listed.

I hope so! At the same time, I really do think both should remain in MLS as long as they are getting decent minutes. If rather have Ricketts playing 1000 minutes a season scoring 4 to 6 goals than playing 2500 minutes in the CanPL scoring +20. 

Isnt that the point of the league??  Back in early 90's I didnt know who Tony Nocita or Pat Onstad was until I saw them on the old CKND Fury highlights.  But instead of running around pretending I was Klinsman or Maradonna, I had local heroes to cheer once I was exposed to them.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

At the same time, I really do think both should remain in MLS as long as they are getting decent minutes. If rather have Ricketts playing 1000 minutes a season scoring 4 to 6 goals than playing 2500 minutes in the CanPL scoring +20. 

But there needs to be some level of sacrifice in terms of pulling our players out of good leagues though, right? If the CPL is going to be above USL/NASL level of play, they are going to need to sign some Canadians that are regularly playing above that level.

18 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

But there needs to be some level of sacrifice in terms of pulling our players out of good leagues though, right? If the CPL is going to be above USL/NASL level of play, they are going to need to sign some Canadians that are regularly playing above that level.

Agreed, but I don't think they'll achieve that level of play straight out the gate, unless they throw a lot of money at good professional players, Canadian or otherwise.

If I'm Ricketts and I'm making $150k a season at TFC (I'm not actually sure exactly what his salary is btw), you'd have to give me a significant raise to leave such a great situation to join an unproven league. It would probably have to be at least double, and if the league is throwing that sort of money at a Ricketts I would be surprised.

Canadians playing on MLS clubs are indeed unlikely to jump to CPL on their own accord unless there's a significant increase in salary

However, Canadians on the bench of US teams, those playing very little, on the USL round trip road between MLS and USL will take a harder look at the opportunity.

The potential collapse of the NASL will bring that much more players (domestics and internationals alike) to look North for a job.

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed, but I don't think they'll achieve that level of play straight out the gate, unless they throw a lot of money at good professional players, Canadian or otherwise.

If I'm Ricketts and I'm making $150k a season at TFC (I'm not actually sure exactly what his salary is btw), you'd have to give me a significant raise to leave such a great situation to join an unproven league. It would probably have to be at least double, and if the league is throwing that sort of money at a Ricketts I would be surprised.

The top American players took pay cuts across the board to go to MLS in 1996 and help start their domestic league. Not that I expect our boys to do that, but not asking for double their current salary would be nice. I think it's a mistake to launch the CPL without having at least a couple regular CMNT players.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ricketts is maybe the guy of the I'd like to see jump the least. I think he has a good thing. However someone like de Jong I think would be a fair signing I could see happening.

Regarding money, we did hear Hamilton wanted to make a splash by making Osorio the first ever signing. Not sure how serious that rumour was but it was floated around so it's possible they're willing to spend up to $200k+ on talent

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Canadians playing on MLS clubs are indeed unlikely to jump to CPL on their own accord unless there's a significant increase in salary

However, Canadians on the bench of US teams, those playing very little, on the USL round trip road between MLS and USL will take a harder look at the opportunity.

I feel like weirdly Akindele falls into this field. He plays a lot for Dallas but he's never really been a starter and maybe a move where he'd get that chance would be worth it to him.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The potential collapse of the NASL will bring that much more players (domestics and internationals alike) to look North for a job.

Yea I'm curious what the CPL will do if that happens with all the American and Latin talent floating around should the death blow happen. Seems like a good pool to pick your internationals from.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

The top American players took pay cuts across the board to go to MLS in 1996 and help start their domestic league. Not that I expect our boys to do that, but not asking for double their current salary would be nice. I think it's a mistake to launch the CPL without having at least a couple regular CMNT players.

Sure, but they didn't take pay cuts at American clubs to play in MLS, did they?

Ricketts and co. would be leaving one Canadian club to join another.  Apples to oranges, perhaps?

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Highly agree, while I think Straith, Ledgewood, Jakovic and most NASL guys will end up in CPL having 2-4 MLS/CanMNT guys would be very useful.

1 minute ago, matty said:

Regarding money, we did hear Hamilton wanted to make a splash by making Osorio the first ever signing. Not sure how serious that rumour was but it was floated around so it's possible they're willing to spend up to $200k+ on talent

I feel like weirdly Akindele falls into this field. He plays a lot for Dallas but he's never really been a starter and maybe a move where he'd get that chance would be worth it to him.

Can't see Osorio leaving TFC for that. He'll be on +200k in his hometown sooner or later I think.

Can't see Akindele leaving FCD either, though I did have the same thought. Remember, he is likely very comfortable in the US and the whole club has had a bad season, not just Akindele. If there is an exodus Tesho might see his minutes increase again.

Just now, Obinna said:

Can't see Osorio leaving TFC for that. He'll be on +200k in his hometown sooner or later I think.

I think it was less him wanting to leave and TFC worried about his salary. Something like they'd need to pay him like $300k to keep him. And if TFC decide not to keep him Hamilton were interested.

Just now, matty said:

Highly agree, while I think Straith, Ledgewood, Jakovic and most NASL guys will end up in CPL having 2-4 MLS/CanMNT guys would be very useful.

Yup, I second that. I would stress the NASL part of that though. MLS players are not going anywhere, unless you are a bubble player like Hamilton who is young and playing most of his minutes in the USL, but even that would be slim. Ditto for Bustos, for example.

Just now, Obinna said:

Yup, I second that. I would stress the NASL part of that though. MLS players are not going anywhere, unless you are a bubble player like Hamilton who is young and playing most of his minutes in the USL, but even that would be slim. Ditto for Bustos, for example.

I meant to have a but in there before "having".

I don't think all the MLS guys will stay put, most will. But I could see de Jong and Johnson (post everything that' happened) look to a CPL move. I fully agree other guys who've fallen into bubble roles will look into CPL but think guys like Morgan and Lefevre will look to jump over.

The thing is that of the 8 NASL teams, 4 will almost certainly jump directly to USL and FC Edmonton will almost certainly go to USL or CPL. That leaves the Cosmos, Miami FC and the Deltas as the teams likely to fold and there are 3 new USL teams coming in 2018 to pick-up the pieces.

There isn't going to be a mass exodus of North American based players even in the worst case scenario for the NASL.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

player like Hamilton who is young and playing most of his minutes in the USL, but even that would be slim.

He's young and he has potential. He just needs a stage to showcase it and develop further.

With the 2026 world cup coming, how sure are you he isn't thinking that a starter role as a CPL striker wouldn't be the best opportunity for him to further develop and get notice by the national team and perhaps other leagues if he does very well?

TFC being so deep up front and having the money to go after a star striker, Hamilton being in that role are slim at best.

Players do think about this angle as well

3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The thing is that of the 8 NASL teams, 4 will almost certainly jump directly to USL and FC Edmonton will almost certainly go to USL or CPL. That leaves the Cosmos, Miami FC and the Deltas as the teams likely to fold and there are 3 new USL teams coming in 2018 to pick-up the pieces.

There isn't going to be a mass exodus of North American based players even in the worst case scenario for the NASL.

With the salaries being hinted at in CPL, not sure USL at D3 level is going to be that attractive to most players. 

6 minutes ago, matty said:

I don't think all the MLS guys will stay put, most will. But I could see de Jong and Johnson (post everything that' happened) look to a CPL move. I fully agree other guys who've fallen into bubble roles will look into CPL but think guys like Morgan and Lefevre will look to jump over.

For the price you'd need to pay for Will Johnson, he'd need to be a marquee player. I don't see that happening given what happened.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

Really? Johnson? That one is surprising. That is one guy I never expect to 'grace' the CanPL. He has always made very good coin in MLS and he is in Florida, so I can't imagine leaving for a cold Canadian city

Just now, harrycoyster said:

For the price you'd need to pay for Will Johnson, he'd need to be a marquee player. I don't see that happening given what happened.

I think Johnson's price has dropped a lot over the last month and you'd be able to get him at a bargain price right now. Might be wrong but I would not be shocked if he's dropped by Orlando and either resigns for cheap or goes unclaimed.

8 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Fath said USL was not an option, it's CPL or bust

4 minutes ago, matty said:

I think Johnson's price has dropped a lot over the last month and you'd be able to get him at a bargain price right now. Might be wrong but I would not be shocked if he's dropped by Orlando and either resigns for cheap or goes unclaimed.

He's on $400k or so. Realistically how low will his value drop? 300k? Also, if he's getting a divorce does he really want to be outside of the country away from his kids?

Archived