List of potential Canadian Premier League Players

Blackjack15

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I've been told they are looking at $1-1.5 million for CPL salaries. Many, probably even most, USL teams are in that range.

With the minimum salary being discussed, the $1-1.5M seems too low if you take into account a possible high number of internationals.

That figure is also incongruent with the scope and vision of the league.

I'm thinking it will most likely higher than that

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

He's young and he has potential. He just needs a stage to showcase it and develop further.

With the 2026 world cup coming, how sure are you he isn't thinking that a starter role as a CPL striker wouldn't be the best opportunity for him to further develop and get notice by the national team and perhaps other leagues if he does very well?

TFC being so deep up front and having the money to go after a star striker, Hamilton being in that role are slim at best.

Players do think about this angle as well

For sure. A lot of factors at play. I can see him joining CanPL if his MLS situation doesn't improve by the time he is 24 ish.

Just now, Obinna said:

He's on $400k or so. Realistically how low will his value drop? 300k? Also, if he's getting a divorce does he really want to be outside of the country away from his kids?

It's something I'm curious to see, it could be in the $200ks or lower if he goes unclaimed should Orlando drop him and IF Hamiton's rumoured interest in Osorio is true then Johnson could be on the table. Also regarding the divorce, it could be a matter of money needed lawyers cost a lot and it sounds like it's gonna be a messy one.  If he were to go unclaimed CPL might be the best option to make some nice coin.

All that said I do get where you're coming from but I could see it happening.

7 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Fath said USL was not an option, it's CPL or bust

I'm still a bit concerned that he's part of the group fighting USSF to keep NASL alive. Attending the CPL meetings is a great step though

10 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I've been told they are looking at $1-1.5 million for CPL salaries. Many, probably even most, USL teams are in that range.

Steven Goff of the Washington Post had put above average USL salaries at 12000 to 18000 per year (so under 500k for a 25 man roster), with players working jobs in the offseason to make ends meet. It's a rough estimate but it's the best I've found for USL (though Cincinnati apparently was talking about a "couple million" dollar salary and Tampa reportedly had fairly high salaries too) since the league doesn't release any official numbers as policy. 

That was 2015 though, and I suspect they've upped their salaries to put their best foot forward for D2 status, but I'd be surprised if they had doubled or tripled their salaries in two years

9 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Steven Goff of the Washington Post had put above average USL salaries at 12000 to 18000 per year (so under 500k for a 25 man roster), with players working jobs in the offseason to make ends meet. It's a rough estimate but it's the best I've found for USL (though Cincinnati apparently was talking about a "couple million" dollar salary and Tampa reportedly had fairly high salaries too). 

That was 2015, and I suspect they've upped their salaries to put their best foot forward for D2 status, but I'd be surprised if they had doubled or tripled their salaries in two years

He said on the Total Soccer Show that USL rosters are structured very much like MLS rosters, in that there are the haves and the have-nots. The final ten of so spots on the roster make very little, but starting USL players often make more than MLS bench players. FCC, SacRep, Phoenix and Tampa are all very likely around $1.5 million. As you eluded to, the USL asked Tampa to cut back on spending after they reportedly spent "millions" in 2015. I don't think any stand-alone USL team is paying under 50k to starters in 2017.

2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

He said on the Total Soccer Show that USL rosters are structured very much like MLS rosters, in that there are the haves and the have-nots. The final ten of so spots on the roster make very little, but starting USL players regularly make more than MLS bench players. FCC, SacRep, Phoenix and Tampa are all very likely around $1.5 million. As you eluded to, the USL asked Tampa to cut back on spending after they reportedly spent "millions" in 2015. I don't think any stand-alone USL team is paying under 50k to starters in 2017.

Any chance you have a link or rough date of that podcast? I haven't heard it and it would help to know more

Though I'd reiterate the fact that he said "above average" players were making the 12 to 18k in his 2015 article, so I suspect those are the "have" players. Though again, that's probably gotten a substantial boost since 2015

17 minutes ago, matty said:

It's something I'm curious to see, it could be in the $200ks or lower if he goes unclaimed should Orlando drop him and IF Hamiton's rumoured interest in Osorio is true then Johnson could be on the table. Also regarding the divorce, it could be a matter of money needed lawyers cost a lot and it sounds like it's gonna be a messy one.  If he were to go unclaimed CPL might be the best option to make some nice coin.

All that said I do get where you're coming from but I could see it happening.

Nothing wrong with that logic, but I still find it hard to see right now. Perhaps in another 3 to 4 years. He can clearly still be a solid MLS player and I don't see him dropping a level over 100k or so. Anything is possible though I guess!

Just now, Obinna said:

Nothing wrong with that logic, but I still find it hard to see right now. Perhaps in another 3 to 4 years. He can clearly still be a solid MLS player and I don't see him dropping a level over 100k or so. Anything is possible though I guess!

I agree 100k is redic. Also as we still don't know if it'll be 2018 or 2019, I think a lot of who we think will be there will change greatly

4 minutes ago, matty said:

Weird Q: Do you guys think Vitoria should be a serious CPL target?

Nope. I don't think he'd be worth the money it would take to bring him home, nor do I think he has the appetite to do so, at least for the CanPL. I can see him giving the MLS another go.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

Weird Q: Do you guys think Vitoria should be a serious CPL target?

Probably depends on who offers him what. Average salary in the Polish top tier is ~180k CAD (https://www.google.ca/amp/deadspin.com/chart-the-average-player-salaries-in-soccer-leagues-ar-1658856283/amp) 

I would think he's below the average, so if a team close to his family in Toronto offered him a salary in that range as a high-end player, maybe he'd be interested 

Though I imagine each team would really only be looking at one guy in the 150-250k range, and I'd be surprised if they would use it on CB

Just now, Complete Homer said:

Any chance you have a link or rough date of that podcast? I haven't heard it and it would help to know more

Though I'd reiterate the fact that he said "above average" players were making the 12 to 18k in his 2015 article, so I suspect those are the "have" players

I'd have to go back and look, but Goff isn't on their podcast all that often...I believe it was during FCC's Open Cup run.

8 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Thanks

Here is an article from 2013 saying that most USL players make between $12,000 and $40,000 a season. Mitch Hildebrandt says in this podcast that he makes more money than a lot of his friends in MLS, but calls himself "one of the lucky ones". This FourFourTwo article from July lists NASL average salaries at $50-60k and mentions that a player Tenorio talked to decided to stay in USL over moving to MLS because his USL contract was similar and guaranteed, MLS minimum this season is $53k.

I think your $12-18k is outdated, but I don't think it's all that far off for non-starters. I'd wager the bigger USL teams are probably close to NASL numbers for their starting 11.

Wasn't it reported the CPL minimum salary being discussed would be similar to CFL ($53k)? 

That's why I said the 1.5M salary cap can't work and it's incongruent with that minimum salary (if true) and vision of the league (ownership willing to pay players 200k-Osorio), buy doing that, you must busted the cap.

Montagliani was also saying constantly that he wanted the league to allow players to make a living. 

Mind you were talking Canadian dollars here

If the CPL is going to hit the ground running, it will need to pick up casual fans. In order to get casuals right away, the CPL will need some household names. I don't know if the CPL is trying to become a major league right away or is trying to build up slowly. If it is the first option, do you think that the CPL will have a DP rule similar to MLS? It could bring in bigger players faster but also leave a large talent gap between the DP's and regulars. How do you guys think the CPL will deal with this potential issue?

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if De Jong or Ricketts are well known enough to drum up interest for the average soccer fan? I doubt it. It is only hardcore Canadian fans who are familiar with those guys and we are going to be behind the team regardless. Perhaps that would work on a local level, but it would depend on the market. Like De Jong might capture interest in southern Ontario or the lower mainland, but I don't know about Halifax or Saskatchewan...

I don't think there are many Canadian names that will impact with an average Canadian fan.  How many aren't even really aware of Atiba?  I don't think anyone is going to base their decision to go to a CanPL game if Osorio or any other MLSers is on the roster.

Christine Sinclair is the only Canadian soccer player who could sell tickets based on her name/reputation alone to a match in Canada IMO.

Just now, Jason said:

I don't think there are many Canadian names that will impact with an average Canadian fan.  How many aren't even really aware of Atiba?  I don't think anyone is going to base their decision to go to a CanPL game if Osorio or any other MLSers is on the roster.

Christine Sinclair is the only Canadian soccer player who could sell tickets based on her name/reputation alone to a match in Canada IMO.

That is true. I read a Q&A from FIFA.com with Atiba last year. He said that in Istanbul he does his best to go incognito on the streets but is still mobbed by fans all the time. He went on to say that here in Toronto, his own hometown, he can walk downtown in plain clothes and is rarely (if ever) recognized. It is the sad reality of the popularity of succesful Canadian soccer players in their own nation.

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Wasn't it reported the CPL minimum salary being discussed would be similar to CFL ($53k)? 

That's why I said the 1.5M salary cap can't work and it's incongruent with that minimum salary (if true) and vision of the league (ownership willing to pay players 200k-Osorio), buy doing that, you must busted the cap.

Montagliani was also saying constantly that he wanted the league to allow players to make a living. 

Mind you were talking Canadian dollars here

Not that I recall. The only thing I've heard that was more than somebody spitballing was the $1.5 million number from Rollins back when Bernie was hired.

You remember the source of the 53k number?

12 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Stefan Cebara - Right Midfielder - 26 years old , played with the national team in 2013, currently plays with FK Vojvodina ( 1st tier Serbia). He hasn't played a game yet. He could be great in the CPL, he's skilled and has experience. 

Cebara played today in a Serbian Cup match and scored for Vojvodina in a 2-1 win away to Dinamo Pancevo.

I am not sure, but I think this is his goal....

25 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Not that I recall. The only thing I've heard that was more than somebody spitballing was the $1.5 million number from Rollins back when Bernie was hired.

You remember the source of the 53k number?

https://mobile.twitter.com/24thminute/status/863917642578526209?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigsoccer.com%2Fthreads%2Fconcacaf-new-division-1-league-the-canadian-premier-league.2049388%2F

Sorry for some reason, tweets don't appear when I use my cell.

Assuming we use the 50k figure...25 men bring you at $1.2M

Teams would have room to pay a lot of money to only 1 guy if you paid everyone else minimum salary.

1.5M cap can't work, must be higher, especially if the league is supposed to be a bit heavy on the international side at first and hope to be competitive in V Cup against MLS teams. I don't expect them to win but they have to be able to compete.

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

1.5M cap can't work, must be higher.

The league can't lose money at a precipitous rate, if the model calls for a hard cap at 1.5M than so be it IMO

You'd still get plenty of quality. A breakdown of 1 200k player, 3 100k players, 5 75k players, 7 50k players, and 9 30k players seems like it would attract pretty good quality and would work out to 1.495 million in spending across a 25 man roster.

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The league can't lose money at a precipitous rate, if the model calls for a hard cap at 1.5M than so be it IMO

You'd still get plenty of quality. A breakdown of 1 200k player, 3 100k players, 5 75k players, 7 50k players, and 9 30k players seems like it would attract pretty good quality and would work out to a 1.495M roster

It would only if the minimum salary was 30k. Since that tweet says close to CFL, 1.5M doesn't work.

That tweet came after the 1.5M original tweet, so perhaps the league increased over time the projected cap.

In business, it's a delicate balance between what you can afford to invest vs how much investment is need to maximize your return. Perhaps some owners pushed back at the 1.5M cap, same way they pushed back at a heavy domestics quota

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

It would only if the minimum salary was 30k. Since that tweet says close to CFL, 1.5M doesn't work

I think you may be putting a bit too much stock in that tweet. Rollins says in the very next subtweet that he thought CFL minimum was 30k when he made the tweet you linked to. The 1.5m reports seemed pretty credible. 

A 30k minimum isn't bad. MLS didn't hit a 30k minimum until like 2012.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I think you may be putting a bit too much stock in that tweet. Rollins says in the very next subtweet that he thought CFL minimum was 30k when he made the tweet you linked to. The 1.5m reports seemed pretty credible. 

A 30k minimum isn't bad. MLS didn't hit a 30k minimum until like 2012.

But he also added that's even better. It didn't seemed he made a mistake but actually didn't know the CFL minimum salary when he was told that and tweeted the info.

Montagliani said many time he wanted a full pro league where players could earn a living on playing in the league, 30k in Canada? I'd need a 2nd job for sure.

But hey, I'll take 1.5M/30k if that's what it ends up being. Just saying the higher, the better.

Archived