Breaking news from Halifax

28 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Well, y'all can kiss that home friendly in Halifax goodbye - at the Can/US WNT announcement today, they confirmed there would be no other home friendlies scheduled for this year.

Still leaves the opportunity for senior men's friendly.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

There's been posts in the general CPL thread.  Pictures tweeted of the field being worked on.  Think the last big thing from people there was the deal with the city is ready to sign but they need the team to be officially granted first.  You'd have to look in there.  I would but it's too many pages and I'm working lol.

12 minutes ago, Rheo said:

There's been posts in the general CPL thread.  Pictures tweeted of the field being worked on.  Think the last big thing from people there was the deal with the city is ready to sign but they need the team to be officially granted first.  You'd have to look in there.  I would but it's too many pages and I'm working lol.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a peak. I've driven by the field and they're laying the grass - it looks great! Really excited about the location - just up the hill from work. I know there was a planned event by Soccer Nova Scotia in September, but haven't heard anything on that front. If it's anything significant, they're cutting it pretty close to announce it and expect decent size crowds.

This appears unlikely if you read through the saga of what happened with the amendments that were tacked on by the councillors that appear to have been motivated by blocking that type of scenario from unfolding. Also worth noting that S|E|A wouldn't actually control the wider use of the stadium or its naming rights because it is on municipal property.

They made comments at the earlier stages of the proposal indicating they wanted to use the venue for soccer, rugby, and outdoor concerts. There's been letters of support from Rugby Nova Scotia.The field was suppose to be used for a Canada Rugby match vs a Glasgow club last year, but it was in such bad shape they had to move the game. SEA's proposal also indicated general public use in line with other municipal run fields in the city, with the soccer club having priority.

This is all up in the air though, with the municipality wanting to maintain administration of the field and stadium. Time will tell what the use agreement looks like.   

• 6 months later...

https://twitter.com/aspurrell8/status/968818543058808832

A preetty cryptic tweet exchange between SEA and the Deputy Venue Transport Manager at the 2018 Commonwealth Games who used to work with SEA. I'm going to read way too much into this and assume SEA is going to announce a team this month and the stadium infrastructure work  will start May 20, 2018. Don't crush my dreams BBTB. 

1 hour ago, HfxCeltic said:

https://twitter.com/aspurrell8/status/968818543058808832

A preetty cryptic tweet exchange between SEA and the Deputy Venue Transport Manager at the 2018 Commonwealth Games who used to work with SEA. I'm going to read way too much into this and assume SEA is going to announce a team this month and the stadium infrastructure work  will start May 20, 2018. Don't crush my dreams BBTB. 

It's definitely CPL-related; May 20th is 60-90 days from now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Not sure how legit CPL Rumours is but:

If legit, it looks like my prediction of Hart starting with Halifax from my Football Manager mod came true!

When you have minimal followers, no website and no sources I’m skeptical. Could be legit but I like to err on the side of caution lol

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Not sure how legit CPL Rumours is but:

If legit, it looks like my prediction of Hart starting with Halifax from my Football Manager mod came true!

It just feels kinda right. There are very few Nova Scotians who have made it in the pros as managers or players, so I feel like it would be pretty desirable to have as many of that limited group involved as possible, and Stephen Hart is at the top of that list.

It would be nice to see Andrew MacRae sign with them as well, as far as I'm aware he's currently the only active professional player from Nova Scotia.

Also on that note, does anyone know what Derek Gaudet is doing these days? Did he completely leave the game or does he still play at all?

12 hours ago, Zem said:

It just feels kinda right. There are very few Nova Scotians who have made it in the pros as managers or players, so I feel like it would be pretty desirable to have as many of that limited group involved as possible, and Stephen Hart is at the top of that list.

It would be nice to see Andrew MacRae sign with them as well, as far as I'm aware he's currently the only active professional player from Nova Scotia.

Also on that note, does anyone know what Derek Gaudet is doing these days? Did he completely leave the game or does he still play at all?

Agreed with Steve Hart. He probably has the most notoriety next to Ante Jazic. 

Derek Guadet is playing in the local men’s league. More involved on the coaching side of things now but still a gifted player.

Ben Ur (GK) is playing in the Israel second div which is probably equivalent to the USL.

Western Halifax Durty Nelly’s just won the senior men’s national championship and were lead by coach Alan Jazic (Ante’s brother). There could be a few players there to make the jump (Jhonattan Córdoba in particular).

On the younger side of things you have Jacob Shaffelburg, currently with TFC III, and Ayoub Al Arabi- Canada Games player trialing with the Whitecaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived